Okposo done for the Season

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Yeah but he has to be injured or at least injured enough to pass truth test. You can’t do LTIR because he “might” get hurt

Well, if he has an injury on the same cheekbone in which he suffered a detached retina that would qualify no? 

There is no telling how long the recovery will take, could get complicated before all is said and done. 

Edited by Norcal
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Well, if he has an injury on the same cheekbone in which he suffered a detached retina that would qualify no? 

There is no telling how long the recovery will take, could get complicated before all is said and done. 

Leafs doctors have done it a few times recently. Robidas and Lupul come to mind. Lupul seemed in great shape skiing in the Alps while on LTIR.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The amount of injuries this team has suffered is just staggering. I would guess they lead the NHL by a wide margin in man games lost to injury.

More than number, the quality of player on the shelf is staggering.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Maybe he’ll stick around the team on game days? 

He’s worked for it and to continue it almost his entire life. Once you give it up, that’s it. It’s gone forever.

No doubt, once he retires, he’s done. This is true for almost all professions. It’s extremely emotional for most people. But, there’s an expiration date on all hockey players. A player has yet to play forever. 

And on the flip side, once you give up your health, it too may be gone forever. I’m not talking about broken bones, but the shots he’s been taking to his head over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SDS said:

Irwin’s play was lower beer league level. It would be high praise to even call it amateurish. Guys at this level know where they are putting the puck.

I have no words on how bad that was. If pressed, I might come up with only two,… Because Buffalo?

6 hours ago, kas23 said:

I just don’t understand why he keeps going. He’s old and has his money. Walk away while he still has his health. I get the “love of the game”, but still. 

When you're a born competitor and you've strived to win something your entire life but have yet to do so, it's probably crushing to lay it down.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

33 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

When you're a born competitor and you've strived to win something your entire life but have yet to do so, it's probably crushing to lay it down.

Every adult faces this eventually. I’m personally in the process of doing it myself right now. It is crushing to have to change what you think (key word) defines you. But I also know that I need to do what’s best for my family and what’s best long-term. Doesn’t make it easier though. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope Okposo fully heals and has no concussion aftereffects of the injury. GM'Ebriate has him on the roster next season. He can still play as evidenced by his rejuvenation with the rest of the roster since Granato took over. But I'm still buying him out after next season, when the cap hit on the buyout is worthwhile.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, Zamboni said:

NHL top 5 teams, impact of man-games lost (by cumulative minutes of players lost, CMIP)

1 NSH

2 STL

3 BOS

4 PIT

5 ANA

Eichel played 21/56 games
Girgs 0/56 games
McCabe 13/56 games
Okposo to miss the last like 13, Cozens missed time twice
Ullmark has missed a bunch of time, same with hutton
In addition to several players getting covid at once and the team returning shortly after and looking terrible.

But now the C and both A's are out for the rest of the year, another 4th line leader, and the starting goalie.  

On 4/18/2021 at 11:14 AM, DarthEbriate said:

I hope Okposo fully heals and has no concussion aftereffects of the injury. GM'Ebriate has him on the roster next season. He can still play as evidenced by his rejuvenation with the rest of the roster since Granato took over. But I'm still buying him out after next season, when the cap hit on the buyout is worthwhile.

This year i think the best buyouts are eakin and miller.  Assuming you can upgrade miller.  

4 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Eichel played 21/56 games
Girgs 0/56 games
McCabe 13/56 games
Okposo to miss the last like 13, Cozens missed time twice
Ullmark has missed a bunch of time, same with hutton
In addition to several players getting covid at once and the team returning shortly after and looking terrible.

But now the C and both A's are out for the rest of the year, another 4th line leader, and the starting goalie.  

This year i think the best buyouts are eakin and miller.  Assuming you can upgrade miller.  

Wouldn't buy out anyone.  Eakin doesn't make enough to have it be of much value.  Just keeps him on the books an extra year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Gotta agree with @Taro T on this one. The savings aren't worth it this offseason. Eakin can be 13th forward next year or sent down, whatever. Miller has a role as third-pairing D and his salary is tolerable. But I'd rather send Miller + 3rd to Seattle to move his salary that way (and keep the young D united).

We shouldn't need the money this year. Even with the late resurgence, our RFAs not named Reinhart (Dahlin, Jokiharju, Mittelstadt) aren't going to break the bank. TBL was able to sign Cernak, Cirelli, and Sergachev all for fairly low prices last year because of the flat cap and I bet we can do similar on our key youngsters this summer. Everyone young knows to take a lower bridge, and then get ready for the cap bonanza in a few years when the new TV contracts, Seattle cash revenue influx, and vaccinated global populations crank the cap up.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wouldn't buy out anyone.  Eakin doesn't make enough to have it be of much value.  Just keeps him on the books an extra year.

Eakin saves 1.6 in cap during the flat year, and adds 800k in 2022.  You also save 800k in cash.  

Miller saves 2.6 in cap, adds 1.3 in 2022.  Savings of about 1.3m in cash as well.  

Miller's only becomes positive if you anticipate carrying him as a 7th dman (assuming they upgrade at RHD), in which case find someone cheaper than 3.875 million per year.  Eakin is the worst player on the team and can probably stash for temporary cap benefits.

I think eakin is possible simply for the cash you save by dumping him.  I honestly think seattle takes miller even without much of a pick.  

I hate the Okposo contract, I really do.  If you could buy it out without a penalty I'd do so.  HOWEVER, with that said, if you are going to have a cap hit no matter what, he isn't a bad player.  Not worth the contract/cap hit, but he doesn't really hurt, and more often then not helps this team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I hate the Okposo contract, I really do.  If you could buy it out without a penalty I'd do so.  HOWEVER, with that said, if you are going to have a cap hit no matter what, he isn't a bad player.  Not worth the contract/cap hit, but he doesn't really hurt, and more often then not helps this team.

Yes, the contract stinks and has ever since he ended up in the ICU, but were he not on the shelf the last month of the season there would actually be an outside shot a team struggling to hit the cap floor would want him.  After his signing bonus gets paid, he's only due $2MM more next year and IIRC $4MM the following year but costs $6MM each year against the cap.  Throw in all the escrow savings due to leaguewide revenues plummeting last year & this year and a team gets a useful 3rd/4th liner for less than 50% of his cap hit & not all that much more than his play actually merited this past month or so.

With the injury, the slight chance somebody would take him slides to 0% chance.  But had he been healthy the rest of this season & kept producing as he'd been doing there was a VERY outside chance (~3%-ish) that somebody would've taken him to get to the floor.

I fix these fractures for a living.  Sometimes they have plates and screws placed and sometimes they don't.  If it is just the cheek bone (zygomatic arch), it usually isn't that invasive of surgery and is often done through the mouth.  If the fracture includes the bones around the eye (ZMC fracture), its a little more invasive.  Regardless, usually 6 weeks of healing is needed before contact sports should begin. Of course, a full face shield would probably get a player more quickly on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/17/2021 at 4:12 PM, kas23 said:

No doubt, once he retires, he’s done. This is true for almost all professions. It’s extremely emotional for most people. But, there’s an expiration date on all hockey players. A player has yet to play forever. 

And on the flip side, once you give up your health, it too may be gone forever. I’m not talking about broken bones, but the shots he’s been taking to his head over the years. 

I think they could McCormick/Ellis/Kaleta him.  Let him retire but give him a job in player development, coaching, etc.  Even though he's physically worn down, there's a lot of hockey IQ he could infuse in prospects coming up.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.