GDT: Pittsburgh at Buffalo Apr. 17, 2021 • 3:00PM ET NBC / WGR

Doohickie

On 3/18/2021 at 5:42 AM, Thorny said:

That’s all fine. But people have complained endlessly about Ralph’s system and now the tune is “there will be no difference” aside from an uptick that was due anyways? 

Nah, I’m still expecting a little something. Krueger wasn’t THE problem but he was assuredly A problem. The schematic specifics are still being undervalued here 

What I said upon his firing^

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think the general feel is that Granato is doing way better than could be expected given the team he has to work with... And the chances of finding a guy that could do even better than what we've seen so far is very low. 

There's still a bunch of games left to continue to evaluate. 

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm all in!

You betcher dupa!

I think most people are willing to give Granato a Mulligan on the first six (0-5-1) since he had to do a mid-season training camp.

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Granato (2 weeks thrown out per request) 4-3-2, points percentage: .556

Rolston (no weeks thrown out to get acclimated) 15-11-5, points percentage: .565

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Let's just see how the rest of the season goes.  Also bear in mind that none of us here has any say in whether they remove the interim tag on Granato.  I like what he's doing right now.  I think a full search is warranted, but assuming Granato continues at a similar pace I'm okay with him getting a year to prove himself.  It isn't just his record, it's that I think he's taking a good approach to working with what he's got and is doing a good job developing the young guys.  He might not be the HC to win the Cup which is why I only give him a year (and possibly renew a year at a time with continued progress), but I think he could end the playoff drought.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Let's just see how the rest of the season goes.  Also bear in mind that none of us here has any say in whether they remove the interim tag on Granato.  I like what he's doing right now.  I think a full search is warranted, but assuming Granato continues at a similar pace I'm okay with him getting a year to prove himself.  It isn't just his record, it's that I think he's taking a good approach to working with what he's got and is doing a good job developing the young guys.  He might not be the HC to win the Cup which is why I only give him a year (and possibly renew a year at a time with continued progress), but I think he could end the playoff drought.

I like what he's done with the young guys, too. I also look at the draft pedigree of the young players showing the most right now. The Lion's share are high first round picks, right? Has Granato done a good job with Cozens, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Thompson, etc, or is part of it a reflection of how poorly we've done organizationally in the past with development? Isn't those players performing more less how one would expect, given their draft pedigree, a reflection of what one would seek under the heading of "Base Level Competence (tm)"? Or is it something more? 

Questions. Questions that need answering. 

- - - 

Make no mistake, there is an argument to be had that, since it took us so long to find base level competence, if that is indeed what Granato is, that we should jump on it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

Not all of these things work in Granato's favour

- - - 

I'm not overlooking anything. The reason I posted it is because the tone now is reading like we absolutely have our guy, our new saviour, even. Those already penciling Granato in for next year (or building him a statue?) are the ones overlooking the fact that we've been fooled by runs like this before.

It's 13 games and we've won 5. 

Slooooooow down. Maybe he's the guy. I hope they are still going to consider other options and weigh this stretch accordingly. It's a really tough decision to make. @darksabrealready said it best

And today we won 6. Tuesday we may win #7. How far are you willing to move the goalposts?

*points out a factual stat* "it's a really tough decision to make"

Sabres win a game...

Promo the Robot: "gOaLpOsTs"

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're the guy citing wins as the yardstick. 

I didn't move any of the yard sticks!

Edited by Thorny

First game I got to watch in a long time. 

Most interesting facet of the game to me was the Pens deployed a 1-2-2 (NJ trap) to start the game. A seasoned speed/skill team comes out with the trap against a young team with questionable goal tending. Why?

The second period starts and it's a close game with the trap still being used. Granato has to be ok with this, a shakey goal tender with a young team playing low event hockey. The Pens win the period but the Sabre's have had some great chances. What does Granato do? 

The third period starts and we find out. He lets his pony's run. The Pens looked liked they where just trying to hang on. Was it sustainable to run and gun with the Pens for three periods? A goalie with a little confidence on Sunday answered that question.

• Like (+1) 1

Actually watched this one.  First one in a long time.  They looked good.  I'm not convinced Pitt had their full intensity this afternoon, but still, they beat Pitt.  That stands for something.

Re: Sam at center.  My contention always was that Sam was not dynamic enough to primarily play center.  My opinion has not changed.  Today I saw why so many think Sam is slow, and I think it is why I saw him as not dynamic.  I don't think he's slow, but it looked to me like he slows down play at center.  I don't know if he is trying to draw defenders to him, or if he is waiting for his linemates to get to certain areas, but it seemed to me that Sam does slow down the game as he approaches and enters the offensive zone.

His goals today also convince me he is more valuable as the guy being set up, not the guy doing the setting up.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Weave said:

Actually watched this one.  First one in a long time.  They looked good.  I'm not convinced Pitt had their full intensity this afternoon, but still, they beat Pitt.  That stands for something.

Re: Sam at center.  My contention always was that Sam was not dynamic enough to primarily play center.  My opinion has not changed.  Today I saw why so many think Sam is slow, and I think it is why I saw him as not dynamic.  I don't think he's slow, but it looked to me like he slows down play at center.  I don't know if he is trying to draw defenders to him, or if he is waiting for his linemates to get to certain areas, but it seemed to me that Sam does slow down the game as he approaches and enters the offensive zone.

His goals today also convince me he is more valuable as the guy being set up, not the guy doing the setting up.

I think he’s pretty much a mix of both - which is funny cause coming out of the draft he was seen as more of a passer. Maybe that’s just because he’s often labeled as “cerebral”. But that’s how he gets his goals AND assists. Agree he’s best suited to wing. But he’s a sufficient fill-in at C which is very important. 

He looks like more of a goal scorer than projected, Cozens more of a passer than projected, Quinn more of a playmaker than projected...they often are a bit off on these things 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.