Doohickie

• SDS unpinned this topic
9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Coaching update, as interims:

Granato - 5-8-3, points % .406

Rolston - 15-11-5, points % .565

- - - 

This isn't being a spoil sport, this is something we need to keep in mind

Too many factors overlooked with this stat. Roster each had to work with, who they were playing, inability to practice early because of contracted schedule, missed game from COVID false alarm.

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Too many factors overlooked with this stat. Roster each had to work with, who they were playing, inability to practice early because of contracted schedule, missed game from COVID false alarm.

Not all of these things work in Granato's favour

- - - 

I'm not overlooking anything. The reason I posted it is because the tone now is reading like we absolutely have our guy, our new saviour, even. Those already penciling Granato in for next year (or building him a statue?) are the ones overlooking the fact that we've been fooled by runs like this before.

It's 13 games and we've won 5. 

Slooooooow down. Maybe he's the guy. I hope they are still going to consider other options and weigh this stretch accordingly. It's a really tough decision to make. @darksabrealready said it best

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

We also need to throw out the first two weeks of Don’s tenure as he literally had no practices until after that time frame.  Also, no Eichel, McCabe and barely any Ullmark. 

1 minute ago, inkman said:

We also need to throw out the first two weeks of Don’s tenure as he literally had no practices until after that time frame.  Also, no Eichel, McCabe and barely any Ullmark. 

Mike Harrington mentioned in His Article this AM that Granato’s  early practices were spend more on conditioning, as that was not a priority for Krueger. 

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

Granato still has the better roster, though

- - - 

Even with the early losses when Granato first took there was an immediate change on how the team played. The team played more of a N/S game, the passing was crisper and the team played with less hesitancy. There was more playing and less thinking. It was as if the team had a weight lifted off of its shoulders. As it has been noted before I can't think of one player who isn't playing better under Granato than Krueger. It's a process with no quick fix. There is still a lot to do but a foundation is being built the right way. Krueger prioritized a system at the expense of player development; Granato believes in a system that promotes player development.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Even with the early losses when Granato first took there was an immediate change on how the team played. The team played more of a N/S game, the passing was crisper and the team played with less hesitancy. There was more playing and less thinking. It was as if the team had a weight lifted off of its shoulders. As it has been noted before I can't think of one player who isn't playing better under Granato than Krueger. It's a process with no quick fix. There is still a lot to do but a foundation is being built the right way. Krueger prioritized a system at the expense of player development; Granato believes in a system that promotes player development.  

Again, most of these things point to a comparison between Granato and Krueger. And say a lot about Krueger. 

The results thus far have not been as good as under Rolston, as interim. It bears remembering 

The bar is "good NHL team", not "good NHL team relative to Krueger"

Maybe Granato should be that guy, maybe not. The fact that the overwhelming majority seem to think we've found our guy I think says a lot about how bad things were under Krueger than anything else

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sabres have really taken the panic out of their game 

That's the real trick, isn't it? They don't simply fold for back-to-back goals or immediately give up a goal when the other team picks up the pace. Sure, Saturday there were a couple times in the first period they got hemmed in their zone and it was getting worrisome, but they battled through it and kept up the fight. A bounce off Toker's back, a ... well... a call on Bjork for high-sticking that the broadcast said was hooking that led to some Crosby passing perfection. 

16 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Man,

Hate is a strong word but ive literally hated mittlestadt for a long time and this fortnite kid is really making it hard for me for that to continue. Sometimes i fkn love when foernite kids prove me wrong.

Good fight again, losing games like this kind of makes me happy these days because they actually ARE playing awesome. 

Fuwk you Ralph, i hate u so much.

Regarding Mitts: Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you: the conflict.

Regarding RaKru: There is no conflict.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe Granato should be that guy, maybe not. The fact that the overwhelming majority seem to think we've found our guy I think says a lot about how bad things were under Krueger than anything else

You really think it’s an overwhelming majority? Hmmm. 

I wonder if a simple poll would flesh this out better.

Do you want Granato as the Sabres HC for the 21-22 season?

Yes, he’s earned it. He has enough experience.

No, I want someone better and more experienced in the NHL as a HC.

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The elephant the room is that Granato's team lost 18 in a row prior to him taking the team. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Again, most of these things point to a comparison between Granato and Krueger. And say a lot about Krueger. 

The results thus far have not been as good as under Rolston, as interim. It bears remembering 

The bar is "good NHL team", not "good NHL team relative to Krueger"

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don't you want to give Granato any credit for taking a shell of a lineup and having them compete well against some of the best teams in the league?

I realistically don't think any available coach could have done better.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Don't you want to give Granato any credit for taking a shell of a lineup and having them compete well against some of the best teams in the league?

I realistically don't think any available coach could have done better.

I don't really know what you mean. There are plenty of prominent posters here who said they didn't expect any upturn at all under Granato after the first few games, and I went on record saying I think the team would be noticeably better due to Krueger's departure, including pointing out that I felt they'd play a more exciting style. I knew all along they'd be better under Granato. I do give Granato credit, of course I do. 

But in my perception the pendulum as swung too far the other way, now. 

Edited by Thorny

Rolston had Miller and Enroth and a very veteran team. Looking back, they were also pretty healthy that season. Vanek and Pommers missed 10 games each. The real glue of the team missed most of the season, though. Leino!

Granato had had 7 games of Ullmark, 8 of Tokarski, and 1 of Hutton and a pile of kids, and no Eichel. Since they've had the opportunity to practice they've been solid and ascending.

Edited by DarthEbriate

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Let's rename Key Bank Center to:

FB_IMG_1618431435329.thumb.jpg.988296285090e2758057648c5017e173.jpg

#TeamMagicGiraffe

I'm all in!

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Dats my ol' nayberhood der.

You betcher dupa!

- - - 

I think most people are willing to give Granato a Mulligan on the first six (0-5-1) since he had to do a mid-season training camp.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But in my perception the pendulum as swung too far the other way, now. 

I think the general feel is that Granato is doing way better than could be expected given the team he has to work with... And the chances of finding a guy that could do even better than what we've seen so far is very low. 

There's still a bunch of games left to continue to evaluate. 

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The elephant the room is that Granato's team lost 18 in a row prior to him taking the team. 

No, they lost 12 in a row, then the first 6 of Granato's tenure.

Just now, SDS said:

Why is this in-depth coaching discussion happening in an old game day thread?

Because Sabrespace.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.