Can the Mittelstadt Line Continue as a 2nd Scoring Line Moving Forward?

Taro T

2 hours ago, jsb said:

You're right but they've played everyone except the Penguins & Islanders in these past 10 and they'll get the Pens and Bruins in the next 5. It's been fun watching them again and you're not trying to ruin this for me are you?? 😀😀

No sir, there is no doubt that they've actually done something we always hoped they would - play really well in the face of real NHL minutes. It was fun and will continue to be fun. It'll just get smarter to assume that it will continue if they keep it up the rest of the way ! 

It took a couple weeks (and finally getting some practices in) for Granato to get the team going in its new direction. But I think when we got Hall and Staal added to Eichel, Cozens, Reino, Olofsson, and Skinner (as well as Dahlin, Joker, Montour) we would have all agreed if there was a team we looked like, it'd have been the free-skating up-and-down-the-ice Leafs of a couple seasons ago. Defense? Sure, if we can learn it on the fly, but let's run-and-gun for a couple seasons in the meantime.

Now that we're doing it --- yes, the defense is worse --- but the offense is so much better 5 on 5 that ... well...  if you need something to perk up your day, check out the April splits thus far for this team:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/buf/split/48 

(edit: just imagine if our power play could also do anything at the moment.)

Edited by DarthEbriate

Mitts’ line is scoring at .5 pts per game per player plus since the line formed.  That is second line production.  

Cozens line is new.  2 games so far.  I like what I’ve seen and think R2 has top 6 potential as does Cozens.  Not sure about Bjork but have no problem leaving them intact for the rest of the season to see what happens.  

As to whether Cozens’ line will eventually out shine Mitt’s group as seize the 2nd line role.  That’s fine with me.  That means we have 3 solid scoring lines, which is something I’ve wanted this team to try to build toward since camp.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts’ line is scoring at .5 pts per game per player plus since the line formed.  That is second line production.  

Cozens line is new.  2 games so far.  I like what I’ve seen and think R2 has top 6 potential as does Cozens.  Not sure about Bjork but have no problem leaving them intact for the rest of the season to see what happens.  

As to whether Cozens’ line will eventually out shine Mitt’s group as seize the 2nd line role.  That’s fine with me.  That means we have 3 solid scoring lines, which is something I’ve wanted this team to try to build toward since camp.  

Look I get it, you love Mitts but Cozens is already better. Let alone after another offseason of building strength. 

• Like (+1) 1

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

FA1 Cozens Olofsson

Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson

Ruots Girgs Bjork

Scratch:Okposo, FA2

-FA1 is a defensively responsible playmaker that can PK.

-FA2 is the grit guy that gets limited starts.

-Ruots and Bjork fill in on lines 1-3 for injuries

-Peterka starts the year in ROC and either him or Quinn replace Girgs at the trade deadline IF ready

A couple of minutes behind real time, but the Mittelstadt line along with Dahlin & Jokiharju survived being out there a couple of times vs the Marchand line.  Would ANYBODY here have expected that 3+ weeks ago?

IF they can continue to do that for 14 or so more periods (yes, they aren't even 20 minutes into arguably the toughest test they'll face all year, talking about small sample size), maybe they not just can be a 2nd line, but ARE.

(Now, if they can get Reinhart's line able to survive that line, we might have something.)

It's interesting to note that despite not really get to play until after Ralph was fired, Casey has scored more goals this year than: Suzuki, Chytil, Villardi, Hischier, Glass, Patrick, Rasmussen, Tippett, Thomas, Yamamoto and Frost — all of whom were ranked light years ahead of him going in to the season.

He's got points in 10 of his last 14 and has only been a minus once in that stretch +9 overall.

You always have to give a draft at least five years, and that was a weird draft.

Be interesting to see how it all settles out.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's interesting to note that despite not really get to play until after Ralph was fired, Casey has scored more goals this year than: Suzuki, Chytil, Villardi, Hischier, Glass, Patrick, Rasmussen, Tippett, Thomas, Yamamoto and Frost — all of whom were ranked light years ahead of him going in to the season.

He's got points in 10 of his last 14 and has only been a minus once in that stretch +9 overall.

You always have to give a draft at least five years, and that was a weird draft.

Be interesting to see how it all settles out.

He's a little weak in the assist department.

To be fair to Hischier, he's hurt I'm assuming as he's only played 11 games

Very correct though that he's comparing well to a lot of those guys this season, specially towards the end of your list. 

It's been honestly awesome to see, it's huge to add another legit C

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, inkman said:

Whaaaaaaat?

Really speaks to the difference in the two sports when it comes to the draft and prospects.  Doyle and Mitts were born the same year.  Mitts was drafted in round 1 in 2017 and was considered by many to be worthy of the trash-heap because he wasn't a fully formed star by age 20-21.  Doyle is drafted 4 years later and will still, likely, get some time to develop his game.  

11 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Really speaks to the difference in the two sports when it comes to the draft and prospects.  Doyle and Mitts were born the same year.  Mitts was drafted in round 1 in 2017 and was considered by many to be worthy of the trash-heap because he wasn't a fully formed star by age 20-21.  Doyle is drafted 4 years later and will still, likely, get some time to develop his game.  

This has me thinking—is the average age of an NHL rookie higher on better teams? It would seem to make sense. I think a lot of Sabres fans have a skewed development timeline because we are so eager to be competitive. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

This has me thinking—is the average age of an NHL rookie higher on better teams? It would seem to make sense. I think a lot of Sabres fans have a skewed development timeline because we are so eager to be competitive. 

This is what happens when you burn the fields. 

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

In light of today's conversations, can the Mittelstadt line be a #1 line?

😞

We need to build balance.  4 x 2nd / 3rd lines.  Beat teams with consistency.  Everyone can check the opposition's top lines and every line can chip in.  4 versions of the LOG line would go a *long* way in the regular season and playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

We need to build balance.  4 x 2nd / 3rd lines.  Beat teams with consistency.  Everyone can check the opposition's top lines and every line can chip in.  4 versions of the LOG line would go a *long* way in the regular season and playoffs.

The log line was a black hole for offense 

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

4 lines with 2 guys that can’t skate, 1 guy that can’t score, and without a Hasek level goalie?  Yeah, that would be a train wreck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.