Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I just seriously don't trust all of those players to pan out and we already have an elite center in Eichel. Simultaneously I have zero interest in trading Eichel in the Eastern Conference. 

Effectively your trade's roster on paper is very unpredictable. If all of the players continue to stay the same or better that would be a better team to a degree. However if any of Cozens/Reinhart/Mitts have a rough season; Buch, Shesterkin and/or Laf never pan out; or Fox pulls a Tyler Myers we could be effectively screwed with a weak team that is just a whole bunch of underperforming skill players. Eichel's line is effectively a given 85% of the time and not one of the other lines can give me anywhere near that reliability. 

A lot of them are already doing it though, this is not a Kings basket. 

Buchnevich is already a very good winger, who has strong numbers etched in the book of NHL statistics, not the projections of optimistic fans. Adam Fox is an outrageously good offensive defenseman, right this second. Shesterkin is killing it behind a shoddy defense, not "could," "is". Lafreniere has a better chance at being good, and great, than any of those Kings prospects. Every single one of them could get a good deal better based on their age and experience level. 

Tyler Myers had a very nice rookie year next to Tallinder. Tyler Myers never once had the impact on a game that Fox does every single game I've ever seen him play in. Fox will finish higher in the Norris race this year than Myers ever has or ever will 

Eichel's line is not a "given" for anything, Eichel has been on a line that has scored more goals than they've been scored on while on the ice exactly 1 season in his career, and that number was slipping quickly towards the end of that season and probably would have wound up negative had covid not shortened it. 

Even if you don't like the positional balance of the return, the sheer volume of very good assets would let you fill the center gap fairly easily. Yeah, you won't get a stud 1C back, but you'll have a better team than you did before if you have some ounce of confidence just because of how lopsided the trade is 

48 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What exactly would we get back that we actually need?  

Center: Cozens, Reinhart and Mitts.  Quinn is also getting time at center in Rochester.  R2 can also play center and we might get Berniers in the Draft.

Goaltending: Assuming we re-sign Ullmark, we have two very good prospects right behind him.

Defense: Dahlin, Bryson, Jokiharju, Samuelsson, Borgen, Johnson and Laaksonen are here or soon will be.

Wingers: R2, VO, Thompson, Asplund and even Bjork are asserting themselves for permanent top 9 roles; plus Skinner.  We also Quinn and JJP coming soon.  

So with this in mind, how does a trade of Eichel moves us forward when so many pieces are emerging now.  Seems like a setback rather then a step forward

Well, since you're asking:
Center: That is a very weak and inexperienced group of centers, and includes a career-winger who has played C for about 10 games. It would be more of the same relying on an entire slate of unproven players for no reason whatsoever. When these skaters are centering us into a playoff matchup with a great record and a great team, it will be okay. Until that point, while we are having fun competing in games as a last place team, we need to have a better group there. 

Goaltending: We have an often-injured goalie who is a UFA, wants to test the market, and has only played like a no-BS 1G for this very abbreviated season. Outside of that, we have garbage backups, and prospects who are 2+ years away, the best of whom has trash AHL numbers right now. Assuming anything about them is foolish. We need 2 good netminders locked up for next year, have none, and might only have a shot at one right now who is injured, this needs to change one way or another.

Defense: Promising, but again, absolutely insane to assume we are fine riding with that group. Dahlin is playing well and has 1OA potential, Joki is looking good, Bryson is fun, and I like everyone else there. But acting like getting a defenseman in an Eichel-tier trade is unneccesary because of these names? My god. You'd think we are going to have home ice this year the way this post is reading. 

Wingers: entirely unremarkable. Playoff teams right now have wingers doing stuff that we hope and pray this group can give us when stuff actually matters, and help get us to winning hockey. I like the guys there, I do. 

I can totally understand not wanting to trade Eichel, but acting like we are set in all facets to the point that trading value as high as Eichel won't add anything meaningful to any of these groups, is one of the most insane things I've ever read here to be honest

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Rangers have plenty of assets. Soon to be 1G, Fox, Kakko/Laf, Zib, Miller, Buchnevich.

Would anyone not take Shesterkin, Fox, Laf and Buchnevich for Eichel?

Wouldn’t this offseason be a good opportunity for a trade?  I don’t want to see it, but teams have to prepare for the expansion draft.  They may be more willing to give up players in trade to get something in return, rather than losing them in the expansion draft for nothing.

From the Sabres standpoint, doesn’t this youth movement also put them in better position for the expansion draft?  They can expose guys like Okposo and Hutton, while not needing to do anything regarding some of these youngsters, if I recall the rules correctly.

I’m not of the opinion that Eichel either should be or must not be traded.  He is a great talent, no doubt, but I get none of the feeling that he brings a great deal to the team beyond that.

I don’t mean to sound terribly harsh, but I just don’t see him as a team centerpiece or leader who binds the group together.  I don’t get the impression that everyone would be emotionally crushed without him.

Likewise, I find that I don’t personally carry any special feelings of affection towards him.  I’m happy when he does great things on the ice, but beyond that, I don’t fine any particular reasons to like him.  I’m not emotionally attached to him.

Consequently, I’ll judge any Eichel trade on its merits.  I feel like I’m more willing than most to consider the idea.

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

Wouldn’t this offseason be a good opportunity for a trade?  I don’t want to see it, but teams have to prepare for the expansion draft.  They may be more willing to give up players in trade to get something in return, rather than losing them in the expansion draft for nothing.

From the Sabres standpoint, doesn’t this youth movement also put them in better position for the expansion draft?  They can expose guys like Okposo and Hutton, while not needing to do anything regarding some of these youngsters, if I recall the rules correctly.

That's an interesting point, someone should go scope out which teams have the most good players left exposed. We could make their job easier! 

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not of the opinion that Eichel either should be or must not be traded.  He is a great talent, no doubt, but I get none of the feeling that he brings a great deal to the team beyond that.

I don’t mean to sound terribly harsh, but I just don’t see him as a team centerpiece or leader who binds the group together.  I don’t get the impression that everyone would be emotionally crushed without him.

Likewise, I find that I don’t personally carry any special feelings of affection towards him.  I’m happy when he does great things on the ice, but beyond that, I don’t fine any particular reasons to like him.  I’m not emotionally attached to him.

Consequently, I’ll judge any Eichel trade on its merits.  I feel like I’m more willing than most to consider the idea.

Feel the same exact way, very well said. Have been a Sabres fan long before him and Lord willing long after him. All of his time here has been during our horrible years, as long as we get a good return I’ll be happy. Though my oldest daughter may be upset, really stinks for the kids. That’s the real only bad thing. 

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Well, since you're asking:
Center: That is a very weak and inexperienced group of centers, and includes a career-winger who has played C for about 10 games. It would be more of the same relying on an entire slate of unproven players for no reason whatsoever. When these skaters are centering us into a playoff matchup with a great record and a great team, it will be okay. Until that point, while we are having fun competing in games as a last place team, we need to have a better group there. 

Goaltending: We have an often-injured goalie who is a UFA, wants to test the market, and has only played like a no-BS 1G for this very abbreviated season. Outside of that, we have garbage backups, and prospects who are 2+ years away, the best of whom has trash AHL numbers right now. Assuming anything about them is foolish. We need 2 good netminders locked up for next year, have none, and might only have a shot at one right now who is injured, this needs to change one way or another.

Defense: Promising, but again, absolutely insane to assume we are fine riding with that group. Dahlin is playing well and has 1OA potential, Joki is looking good, Bryson is fun, and I like everyone else there. But acting like getting a defenseman in an Eichel-tier trade is unneccesary because of these names? My god. You'd think we are going to have home ice this year the way this post is reading. 

Wingers: entirely unremarkable. Playoff teams right now have wingers doing stuff that we hope and pray this group can give us when stuff actually matters, and help get us to winning hockey. I like the guys there, I do. 

I can totally understand not wanting to trade Eichel, but acting like we are set in all facets to the point that trading value as high as Eichel won't add anything meaningful to any of these groups, is one of the most insane things I've ever read here to be honest

But who would be get back in trade that is a proven upgrade over all the kids I just listed? The answer is likely no one, because what we will get back are similar young players, prospects or picks.  Nothing that is a sure fire upgrade.  

I’m not trading Eichel for any reason or any offer.  I believe this team has actually turned the corner.  I’m no longer interested in more prospects.  I have those and those kids are proving with each passing game that they are ready to move this team forward.  Why on earth would I remove the best of the lot when he finally has help?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Still no desire to trade Jack, however

If you want to trade with another franchise that needs a shakeup. 

Calgary looks to be an ideal candidate and has supposedly called on Jack. 

The starting point is Tkatchuk, Lindholm and what else?

Edited by Brawndo

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But who would be get back in trade that is a proven upgrade over all the kids I just listed? The answer is likely no one, because what we will get back are similar young players, prospects or picks.  Nothing that is a sure fire upgrade.  

I’m not trading Eichel for any reason or any offer.  I believe this team has actually turned the corner.  I’m no longer interested in more prospects.  I have those and those kids are proving with each passing game that they are ready to move this team forward.  Why on earth would I remove the best of the lot when he finally has help?

You're telling me that we simply won't be able to improve a roster skeleton of

Skinner - Cozens - Reinhart
Asplund - Mitts - Thompson
Olofsson - Ruotsalainen - Bjork
Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo

with return we are able to get by trading the single most valuable piece in our organization by an order of magnitude (multiple orders of magnitude ignoring Dahlin)??? He will simply poof into the void and our team won't be any better for it? It will be impossible to get NHL talent that isn't prospects in this deal? What? 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Just take this for example. Tkachuk and Lindholm wouldn't be a meaningful addition to that roster? 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Also, juicy. Do you know of other teams who may have called? 

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If they draft Beniers and IF they traded with the Kings and Turcotte was part of the deal then Adams would be on track with his “identity” for the team: Cozens, Beniers, Turcotte would be the poster children for Sabres “fast, skilled, high effort, high character, 200 foot players”

IF a trade happened with the Kings you HAVE to get Byfield. 

I have to admit there is some intrigue in adding 3 or 4 high end prospects to the mix but I’m way more interested in adding Eichel to the team we are watching now 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

You're telling me that we simply won't be able to improve a roster skeleton of

Skinner - Cozens - Reinhart
Asplund - Mitts - Thompson
Olofsson - Ruotsalainen - Bjork
Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo

with return we are able to get by trading the single most valuable piece in our organization by an order of magnitude (multiple orders of magnitude ignoring Dahlin)??? He will simply poof into the void and our team won't be any better for it? It will be impossible to get NHL talent that isn't prospects in this deal? What? 

Just take this for example. Tkachuk and Lindholm wouldn't be a meaningful addition to that roster? 

They would be meaningful additions, but no one is trading us Tkachuk and Lindholm plus for Jack.  

Also your roster doesn’t make sense. We are playing right now without Jack and doing well, with basically the following roster. Why would we change it as you did above?

Skinner Reinhart Olofsson

Asplund Mitts Thompson

R2 Cozens Bjork

Girgensons Eakin KO

Let’s take Tkachuk and Lindholm deal for example.  Calg is going to want VO as well to balance the money.  So now we have Reinhart as top center with Tkachuk and Lindholm. Is this really an upgrade over a line of Skinner Eichel and Reinhart? Maybe but maybe not and our PP leader is gone.  What then happens to Skinner?  Are you demoting him to the 4th line to keep the 2 kid lines intact?  

No deal really works unless we get a good to very good center back in the deal.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They would be meaningful additions, but no one is trading us Tkachuk and Lindholm plus for Jack.  

Also your roster doesn’t make sense. We are playing right now without Jack and doing well, with basically the following roster. Why would we change it as you did above?

Asplund Mitts Thompson

R2 Cozens Bjork

Girgensons Eakin KO

Let’s take Tkachuk and Lindholm deal for example.  Calg is going to want VO as well to balance the money.  So now we have Reinhart as top center with Tkachuk and Lindholm. Is this really an upgrade over a line of Skinner Eichel and Reinhart? Maybe but maybe not and our PP leader is gone.  What then happens to Skinner?  Are you demoting him to the 4th line to keep the 2 kid lines intact?  

Lindholm played centre this year and could continue to do so.

Eichel and Olofsson for Lindholm, Tkachuk, Pelletier and a pick gets my attention a helluvalot more than a bucketful of prospects.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Asplund Mitts Thompson

R2 Cozens Bjork

Girgensons Eakin KO

Well you can always relay stuff you get and/or other assets into centers. I agree you aren't getting a franchise C this summer if you move Jack, (barring a weird Barkov swap), but if you don't think we could get Tkachuk and Lindholm for Jack, then I don't think we have any common ground for Jack's value in this discussion. 

We are playing without Jack right now and doing well, sure, but even that is only winning us 5 of 10 games in the most charitable bunch you can grab, and that's with regression to the statistical mean in a lot of categories - we are regularly getting severely out-chanced in these games and over the course of a full season would not win a lot of games even with the improvement in individuals within the team. Then you'd be furious at the GM for having the gall to not make big changes and stick with status quo, by the way. 

This conversation is probably pointless though if you really truly believe that we can't upgrade this current roster skeleton playing tomorrow in an appreciable way with an Eichel return. I have no idea why you're so down on that potential return

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Well you can always relay stuff you get and/or other assets into centers. I agree you aren't getting a franchise C this summer if you move Jack, (barring a weird Barkov swap), but if you don't think we could get Tkachuk and Lindholm for Jack, then I don't think we have any common ground for Jack's value in this discussion. 

We are playing without Jack right now and doing well, sure, but even that is only winning us 5 of 10 games in the most charitable bunch you can grab, and that's with regression to the statistical mean in a lot of categories - we are regularly getting severely out-chanced in these games and over the course of a full season would not win a lot of games even with the improvement in individuals within the team. Then you'd be furious at the GM for having the gall to not make big changes and stick with status quo, by the way. 

This conversation is probably pointless though if you really truly believe that we can't upgrade this current roster skeleton playing tomorrow in an appreciable way with an Eichel return. I have no idea why you're so down on that potential return

If I can get Byfield I can. 

Just now, dudacek said:

Eichel for Heiskanen and a first.

Baby Reaction GIF

• Haha (+1) 3