Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Good for them in Toronto. I'm sure 4th line Wayne Simmonds is a God send to a team with Joe Thornton and John Tavares. Thank God they got 12 minutes a night Wayne Simmonds to provide all that veteran leadership and toughness. 

Wayne Simmonds has definitely had a positive impact on that team but shining the tires on a Ferrari is a little different than shining the tires on a hoopty.

57 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Until you look at it fondly 

Lmao Lol GIF

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Good for them in Toronto. I'm sure 4th line Wayne Simmonds is a God send to a team with Joe Thornton and John Tavares. Thank God they got 12 minutes a night Wayne Simmonds to provide all that veteran leadership and toughness. 

When you say quips like this I think you don't understand the game of hockey at all.  Do you or did you ever play? 

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well they like Simmons in Toronto but no matter.  Yes, that was their Staal argument, not mine. Foligno is a Foligno. 

Simmons is an inconsequential player for Toronto. If he didn't play the team wouldn't miss him. Acquiring a high character player who is a fading and very diminished player would make no sense for Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

When you say quips like this I think you don't understand the game of hockey at all.  Do you or did you ever play? 

And when you think Wayne Simmonds matters to Toronto I assume you played hockey either not at all or in the 70's and 80's because Wayne Simmonds is inconsequential to Toronto being good or bad. Especially with the better veteran talent that team has including Joe ***** Thornton. 

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Simmons is an inconsequential player for Toronto. If he didn't play the team wouldn't miss him. Acquiring a high character player who is a fading and very diminished player would make no sense for Buffalo.  

We can't import 1 player and suddenly expect the team to be flush with leadership and winning. It doesn't work, it has never worked, it never will work. 

@PerreaultForever suggesting somehow that Wayne Simmonds or another old slow vet like him moves the needle for this team is fake news. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And when you think Wayne Simmonds matters to Toronto I assume you played hockey either not at all or in the 70's and 80's because Wayne Simmonds is inconsequential to Toronto being good or bad. Especially with the better veteran talent that team has including Joe ***** Thornton. 

We can't import 1 player and suddenly expect the team to be flush with leadership and winning. It doesn't work, it has never worked, it never will work. 

@PerreaultForever suggesting somehow that Wayne Simmonds or another old slow vet like him moves the needle for this team is fake news. 

Let's chill out a bit please.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't need to look at any other team other than the home team to realize the fading player solution is a gimmick that doesn't work. It's been tried so many times and has failed so many times. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wanted 

NHL older veteran player who exhibits leadership, character, and a propensity to throw a solid body check and good “snarl” to his game. It’s ok if you are a shell of yourself while on the team. Points aren’t important. Skating speed not important. Ability to read plays not important. We just want you for your ability to be a pied piper. The more mice you get to follow you, the better. Those under 34 need not apply. Apply to KeyBank Center in Buffalo. Attn. Kevyn Adams.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Wanted 

NHL older veteran player who exhibits leadership, character, and a propensity to throw a solid body check and good “snarl” to his game. It’s ok if you are a shell of yourself while on the team. Points aren’t important. Skating speed not important. Ability to read plays not important. We just want you for your ability to be a pied piper. The more mice you get to follow you, the better. Those under 34 need not apply. Apply to KeyBank Center in Buffalo. Attn. Kevyn Adams.

This reads like the typical entry in the matrimonial want-ads of certain national publications.  The only significant difference is that instead of an age check, they ask for astrological information and income requirements.  No, I am not kidding.  My parents tried to arrange a marriage for me for 20 years.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This reads like the typical entry in the matrimonial want-ads of certain national publications.  The only significant difference is that instead of an age check, they ask for astrological information and income requirements.  No, I am not kidding.  My parents tried to arrange a marriage for me for 20 years.

And?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

And?

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And people named Marvin are just not the marrying type.

I married someone I met otherwise who did not meet their income and social status requirements.

Aside: There was one woman whom they pushed really hard on.  At my wedding reception, she asked if my parents had pushed harder than her parents had for us to get married.  This happens a lot in many eastern communities.  I just feel lucky that our parents didn't believe in honour killing.

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I married someone I met otherwise who did not meet their income and social status requirements.

Aside: There was one woman whom they pushed really hard on.  At my wedding reception, she asked if my parents had pushed harder than her parents had for us to get married.  This happens a lot in many eastern communities.  I just feel lucky that our parents didn't believe in honour killing.

Good man.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You're simply wrong. and I will remind you of it one day when this team has sufficient skill but gets pushed and hit out of the game because they are soft and disrespected. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're simply wrong. and I will remind you of it one day when this team has sufficient skill but gets pushed and hit out of the game because they are soft and disrespected. 

You can only do it with one player when he has "stature."  Chris Drury had the stature -- and the support of Jay McKee, Danny Briere, J. P. DuMont, and Jochen Hecht.  Who in today's game has that kind of stature but is young enough to make a difference?

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

No you won't. 

First because if you look at who they draft there's clearly been a change. Cozens, Quinn, Peterka are all forwards who don't mind physicality. They doesn't mean hitting and fighting but we'll get to that. 

Second, respect isn't earned from hitting but from winning. Sure they need some toughness but that comes in the form of perseverance and tenacity. It doesn't come from 30yr old vets who hit stuff. Simmonds would make a bit a difference to this team and he's replaceable on Toronto. 

Third, when they win a playoff series again I'll be sure to say nothing because I won't have to. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You can only do it with one player when he has "stature."  Chris Drury had the stature -- and the support of Jay McKee, Danny Briere, J. P. DuMont, and Jochen Hecht.  Who in today's game has that kind of stature but is young enough to make a difference?

I'm not sure what you mean. My point was never that you add Wayne Simmons and suddenly you're a great team, that's silly, but you can't win building a team simply on analytics and/or offensive prowess either. Toronto got beat and beat again by Boston and has made a concerted effort to get tougher, much like Tampa had to do. You need a balanced team in the playoffs that can play to the conditions of the game and the opposition. In one series you might dress fasty mcspeedster and in another you might bench him and play roughy mcroughster but you need to be able to do both, and Toronto is a better team by adding low cost toughness in players like Simmons to their skilled, but soft, upper roster. 

We haven't faced much of that so some people forget. Nobody has felt it necessary to lay into us because they can beat us with minimal output. IFF we ever get good and fast enough to be a real threat we will see tougher opposition and this roster (with a few exceptions) won't be able to handle it. Mitts has already gotten shoved around a bit, but just a little. Nothing serious yet cause it's not necessary. 

Dalton Smith's aren't your answer. They need to be a little more skilled than that, but remember when you have toughness on the roster and you feel there are people there who will step up then some of the other players play tougher and bigger too and the whole team gets braver and better. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure what you mean. My point was never that you add Wayne Simmons and suddenly you're a great team, that's silly, but you can't win building a team simply on analytics and/or offensive prowess either. Toronto got beat and beat again by Boston and has made a concerted effort to get tougher, much like Tampa had to do. You need a balanced team in the playoffs that can play to the conditions of the game and the opposition. In one series you might dress fasty mcspeedster and in another you might bench him and play roughy mcroughster but you need to be able to do both, and Toronto is a better team by adding low cost toughness in players like Simmons to their skilled, but soft, upper roster. 

We haven't faced much of that so some people forget. Nobody has felt it necessary to lay into us because they can beat us with minimal output. IFF we ever get good and fast enough to be a real threat we will see tougher opposition and this roster (with a few exceptions) won't be able to handle it. Mitts has already gotten shoved around a bit, but just a little. Nothing serious yet cause it's not necessary. 

Dalton Smith's aren't your answer. They need to be a little more skilled than that, but remember when you have toughness on the roster and you feel there are people there who will step up then some of the other players play tougher and bigger too and the whole team gets braver and better. 

If you think adding toughness from outside works, you're wrong. Team toughness is a internal thing, it can't be imported artificially. 

Toronto isn't better because of Simmonds. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

First because if you look at who they draft there's clearly been a change. Cozens, Quinn, Peterka are all forwards who don't mind physicality. They doesn't mean hitting and fighting but we'll get to that. 

Second, respect isn't earned from hitting but from winning. Sure they need some toughness but that comes in the form of perseverance and tenacity. It doesn't come from 30yr old vets who hit stuff. 

First, I've sung the praises of Cozens from the draft onwards. Nothing added needed. Quinn and Peterka remains to be seen. I'm high on Peterka, not sure about Quinn. 

Second, you win in the playoffs with the ability to face and deter what the opposition throws at you. Again, Tampa got tougher for a reason. Pittsburgh, with prime Crosby is the only recent (arguable) exception to the rule that you need toughness to win it all. It'd be great if you can do that with true power forwards and young studs, but in a salary cap era, generally you need the low cost Simmons type players to fill out the bottom end and your reserves. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you think adding toughness from outside works, you're wrong. Team toughness is a internal thing, it can't be imported artificially. 

Toronto isn't better because of Simmonds. 

yes they are. Again, Tampa did pretty good importing it. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

First, I've sung the praises of Cozens from the draft onwards. Nothing added needed. Quinn and Peterka remains to be seen. I'm high on Peterka, not sure about Quinn. 

Second, you win in the playoffs with the ability to face and deter what the opposition throws at you. Again, Tampa got tougher for a reason. Pittsburgh, with prime Crosby is the only recent (arguable) exception to the rule that you need toughness to win it all. It'd be great if you can do that with true power forwards and young studs, but in a salary cap era, generally you need the low cost Simmons type players to fill out the bottom end and your reserves. 

Lol that's not why tampa won.