Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I absolutely agree that if he truly wants out, he should be auctioned off to the highest bidder and gone by the draft. I also have thought for a while now that Adams wants to move him. The only impediment I see to a trade is the injury.

A Sam (1st line) Casey (scoring line) Danault (tough minutes) would be a strong spine assuming the recent Casey is real.

Adams says screw you. You’re suspended. You can sit without your paycheque and we will use your cap space to fill our needs. Accept a trade to Calgary, or rot. Four years is a long time for a 25-year-old hockey player. Calgary might start to get attractive.

(As I said above, it’s not my preferred path, but it is a lever)

This whole “make him sit out” concept is not real. It keeps getting repeated on here. It. Is. Not. Happening. Period. It’d be an absolute disaster for this franchise. Also you can’t suspend a player for refusing to accept a deal when they have a NMC.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This whole “make him sit out” concept is not real. It keeps getting repeated on here. It. Is. Not. Happening. Period. It’d be an absolute disaster for this franchise. Also you can’t suspend a player for refusing to accept a deal when they have a NMC.

Sorry, My entire post was based on him for refusing to play because he had demanded a trade.

If he’s playing, why are we forced to trade him to the team of his choice? If he is demanding a trade, why can’t we say “sure, just as soon as you open up your NMC”?

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry, My entire post was based on him for refusing to play because he had demanded a trade.

If he’s playing, why are we forced to trade him to the team of his choice? If he is demanding a trade, why can’t we say “sure, just as soon as you open up your NMC”?

Because the teams don’t have that control. NMC gives the power to the player. There’s a reason the player gets traded away every single time a notable trade demand happens. He likely wouldn’t even sit out but it’s incredibly toxic to have a player inside your locker room that doesn’t want to be there.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, you do have lots of the Eichel-Reinhart-Risto money to kick around if you move all 3 for picks and entry level deals. So there are plenty of free agents who could be signed to fill the gap until those players mature and take over. 

Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nick Bonino maybe? Other possibilities. 

Not in any way saying you'd sign a player equal to the ones leaving but there's definitely some possibles who could be found to hold places for the kids better than Staal did. 

That's the part of this not many seem to be talking about. Since the return is likely prospect types there will be a lot of salary cap space and free money.

Yeah we're real good at doing that

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Because the teams don’t have that control. NMC gives the power to the player. There’s a reason the player gets traded away every single time a notable trade demand happens. He likely wouldn’t even sit out but it’s incredibly toxic to have a player inside your locker room that doesn’t want to be there.

If he wants his surgery I'd get in writing that he waives his NMC for next year. Then he can play another year and we don't have to fret.

If he demands Boston, Rangers, or another divisional rival I'd actually rather just healthy scratch him for 4 years.

The value in keeping Eichel off Boston actually outweighs the downside of having him just exist for 4 years bored out of his mind.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think it’s pretty clear teams do have that control. NMC gives the power to the player to veto trades, not to force them. If Jack demands a trade, Adams has every right to say we will only trade you to (fill in the blanks), you can accept a trade to one of those spots, or you can stay here and live up to your contract. The player has three choices: pick the Sabres, pick one of the choices, or whine and pout and make things difficult.

The bolded might be true, but only if you add the word eventually. Evander Kane asked for a trade every single year he was in Winnipeg. It took four years to get it.

Also, NMCs and NTCs aren’t unbreakable laws, they are negotiating tools. Players waive no-trade clauses every single year.

If Jack says I’ll only accept a trade to the Rangers and the Rangers low-ball Adams, Adams can simply say “no.” If Adams strikes a great deal with the Kings but Eichel despises Sunshine, he can dig in his heels. So maybe that leads to a trade to Dallas which Jack can live with and Adams thinks has made a fair offer.

Unless it gets personal, it’s a business negotiation, where it’s in the best interest of each side to find a partner that is suitable to each side.

To say Jack gains power when the NMC kicks in is absolutely true, because he has virtually no power right now. But to suggest he gains all the power is false. The NMC essentially equalizes things.

Edited by dudacek

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If he wants his surgery I'd get in writing that he waives his NMC for next year. Then he can play another year and we don't have to fret.

If he demands Boston, Rangers, or another divisional rival I'd actually rather just healthy scratch him for 4 years.

The value in keeping Eichel off Boston actually outweighs the downside of having him just exist for 4 years bored out of his mind.

This is soft thinking. There is no ***** way keeping a superstar player out of the lineup is more valuable than what you'd get for them in a trade. There's some level of thinking there that I can't even fathom.

Separately, Servalli (who had just praised Eichel's trade value and partners a few days ago) claims one GM told him Eichel is untradable and said that his situation will hurt his trade value. How I view this: he was asked by a couple people around the league to start spinning word that his value isn't as high as it appears to currently be so they gain some negotiating power.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/seravalli-one-nhl-general-manager-says-eichel-is-untradeable-at-the-moment?fbclid=IwAR2OMxpu8ay4kEPDUDQzwTng7zbRPQuc2ox4QHrath26GE4WDQjNqxQZgEE

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s pretty clear teams do have that control. NMC gives the power to the player to veto trades, not to force them. If Jack demands a trade, Adams has every right to say we will only trade you to (fill in the blanks), you can accept a trade to one of those spots, or you can stay here and live up to your contract. The player has three choices: pick the Sabres, pick one of the choices, or whine and pout and make things difficult.

The bolded might be true, but only if you add the word eventually. Evander Kane asked for a trade every single year he was in Winnipeg. It took four years to get it.

Also, NMCs and NTCs aren’t unbreakable laws, they are negotiating tools. Players waive no-trade clauses every single year.

If Jack says I’ll only accept a trade to the Rangers and the Rangers low-ball Adams, Adams can simply say “no.” If Adams strikes a great deal with the Kings but Eichel despises Sunshine, he can dig in his heels. So maybe that leads to a trade to Dallas which Jack can live with and makes a fair offer.

Unless it gets personal, it’s a business negotiation, where it’s in the best interest of each side to find a partner that is suitable to each side.

First bold: accurate. But then it possibly becomes a standoff and Jack knows if he stands firm long enough the window on the trade offers to Adams will disappear. It's not a game you ideally want to play. His NMC absolutely increases the urgency to get a deal done now vs later.

On the second bold: sure, any NMC has to be waived for a trade to happen. They are a tool for the player and the player only. The team gets zero benefit from them.

Appears it already has gotten personal.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

First bold: accurate. But then it possibly becomes a standoff and Jack knows if he stands firm long enough the window on the trade offers to Adams will disappear. It's not a game you ideally want to play. His NMC absolutely increases the urgency to get a deal done now vs later.

On the second bold: sure, any NMC has to be waived for a trade to happen. They are a tool for the player and the player only. The team gets zero benefit from them.

Appears it already has gotten personal.

To the first, I absolutely agree. I would also say the same is as true for Adams as it is for Eichel. 
Two the second, I was editing in a final paragraph as you quoted me.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To the first, I absolutely agree. I would also say the same is as true for Adams as it is for Eichel. 
Two the second, I was editing in a final paragraph as you quoted me.

My general view is the power is with the players in most of these situations. Sure, he's got a lengthy contract that he recently signed, but the way fandom and media works right now leans against the teams.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

They are a tool for the player and the player only. The team gets zero benefit from them.

Maybe I misunderstand. But couldn't Adams come out and say "we will honor the no move clause by not moving Jack while under contract". ?

16 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Maybe I misunderstand. But couldn't Adams come out and say "we will honor the no move clause by not moving Jack while under contract". ?

I guess it does indeed give Adams the power to make a snarky comment.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

This is soft thinking. There is no ***** way keeping a superstar player out of the lineup is more valuable than what you'd get for them in a trade. There's some level of thinking there that I can't even fathom.

If they offer a 2022 1st and a random young player then yes; holding onto Eichel regardless is more valuable. It's about denying your enemy in that case. Essentially, if the opposing divisional rival gains far more advantage from Eichel than we gain via assets then eating his contract is more valuable. Hell if I were GM I'd come out and state that to the media. Let's say that the Bruins are a 86 point team and the Sabres are a 76 point team. If Eichel makes them a 96 point team and what we get only makes Buffalo a 78/80 point team then it is more valuable to hold onto him. 

38 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

When asked, Drew Doughty told the press that he would be unhappy next year if no major moves are made to improve the roster. 

Yes, YEs, YES!!!

Come on LA, you need Jack Eixhel, You want Jack Eichel. Put the right package together (including Byfield of course) and he's all yours.

• Like (+1) 1

Athletic Trade Proposals 

Calgary sends right winger Matthew Tkachuk, center prospect Connor Zary and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Minnesota sends center prospect Marco Rossi, a first-round pick and either defenseman Matt Dumba or forward Jordan Greenway to the Sabres for Eichel

Los Angeles sends center Quinton Byfield, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Or

Los Angeles sends centers Alex Turcotte and Gabriel Vilardi, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Arizona sends left winger Clayton Keller, goalie Darcy Kuemper and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Detroit sends winger Filip Zadina or Lucas Raymond plus additional prospects and picks to the Sabres for Eichel

Washington sends center Evgeny Kuznetsov, goaltender Vitek Vanecek and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Tampa Bay sends center Anthony Cirelli and defenseman Mikhail Sergachev to the Sabres for Eichel

I would consider the First Four, the others no way

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Athletic Trade Proposals 

Calgary sends right winger Matthew Tkachuk, center prospect Connor Zary and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Minnesota sends center prospect Marco Rossi, a first-round pick and either defenseman Matt Dumba or forward Jordan Greenway to the Sabres for Eichel

Los Angeles sends center Quinton Byfield, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Or

Los Angeles sends centers Alex Turcotte and Gabriel Vilardi, a secondary prospect and goalie Jonathan Quick to the Sabres for Eichel

Arizona sends left winger Clayton Keller, goalie Darcy Kuemper and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Detroit sends winger Filip Zadina or Lucas Raymond plus additional prospects and picks to the Sabres for Eichel

Washington sends center Evgeny Kuznetsov, goaltender Vitek Vanecek and a first-round pick to the Sabres for Eichel

Tampa Bay sends center Anthony Cirelli and defenseman Mikhail Sergachev to the Sabres for Eichel

Who proposed these proposals?

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Athletic Trade Proposals 

Fair and intriguing. 
Personally, I’d rather have Pelletier. Need an indication that Tkachuk would sign a fair contract to stay.

I like the pieces (assuming Rossi is what he was before COVID) but it’s not enough. How about Minny gives Greenway and Dumba and we flip a lesser asset back?

Or

Byfield is kinda the holy grail of prospects in an Eichel trade, but Quick is more dump than add. Turcotte and Villardi are excellent prospects, but they aren’t going to hit Byfield’s first line ceiling. 

It meets the sniff test (young, first line player, good veteran at a position of need, top 10 pick) and I like the idea of Jack in the desert. I need to know Kuemper will stick around.

First outright bad one here. Wouldnt do Zadina and Raymond, let alone Zadina or. When they say more picks, do they mean all 5 Detroit has in the first two rounds?

Mirrors the Yotes proposal, with the fact Kuznetsov is a centre balancing the loss on the other two. Not interested because I see Kuz as the Sabres 1C as a disaster waiting to happen.

Cirelli and Sergachev would be my favourite package here I think. Young 2C young top pairing D, fair contracts, nice fit with who we have left. A hockey trade.

This looks like a thoughtful bunch of proposals.

Edited by dudacek

Prepare to be disappointed.

Kings are picking 9th at the moment.

The won’t give up Byfield but they will sacrifice two other prime prospects; Sabres will take Fagemo and Turcotte 

Adrian Kempe will be the player.

Three young players who can play fast and compete and fit what Adams seems to want.

Not a high end player in the bunch, but possibly four good ones.

If Adams is going for a bushel of lottery tickets, that’s likely as good a package as we’ll get, IMO

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The won’t give up Byfield but they will sacrifice two other prime prospects; Sabres will take Fagemo and Turcotte 

Three young players who can play fast and compete and fit what Adams seems to want.

If Adams is going for a bushel of lottery tickets, that’s likely as good a package as we’ll get, IMO

I'd outright demand Byfield. Anyone else doesn't reach good value to me. We need a potential 1C not a 2C and a couple wingers. Their vets want to win soon, well if you want Eichel then we demand a guy who could become a 1C in his own right. After all we should know from 2008 through 2012 that without a 1C you don't get very far.

Essentially, with Turcotte and Beniers we'd lack a true 1C potential player. Both of them, along with Cozens and Mitts for the matter are all 2C level prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd outright demand Byfield. Anyone else doesn't reach good value to me. We need a potential 1C not a 2C and a couple wingers. Their vets want to win soon, well if you want Eichel then we demand a guy who could become a 1C in his own right. After all we should know from 2008 through 2012 that without a 1C you don't get very far.

Essentially, with Turcotte and Beniers we'd lack a true 1C potential player. Both of them, along with Cozens and Mitts for the matter are all 2C level prospects.

No you don't get far without depth.  

I'd want Byfield as well but Turcotte is also good, but not as good. 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm OK with a deal like that. Do I want more? Of course.  Am I going to ask for more? Of course.  But at the end of the day, all you can do is talk to all interested parties and take the best offer out there if you are sure you are going to trade him. 

If in the offseason that offers are really REALLY bad (take my #4 organizational prospect and a single lottery protected 1st in 2022), then you hold onto Jack and wait it out/play it out.  But, if I am SURE I am moving him and there is a pretty good offer on the table, I'm taking it (not holding out for just a bit more) because...if he is truly going off this team....you can't 100% more forward with a new locker room, new leadership...until that trade happens.