Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

jack will be hard to trade because of the injury. I hold on to him until at least the trade deadline so sabres can maximize the return.  

I do want to move on from sam as I believe his value is high  after this past season and he does not want to be here long term

Friedman refuted this on the Instigators this AM. One GM said He is probably un-tradable right now but plenty of other teams have legitimate interest in getting a deal done. 

More teams have the salary cap space and would be willing to give up roster assets in the offseason than during a playoff race.  There is also the possibility that Jack decides I’m close enough to July 1st, I’ll shut myself down for the season knowing that My NTC will give me total control over My next team. 

Are we positive that Sam does not want to be here long term?

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is some logic in this proposal, pending a closer look at the possible picks.

Separately, the thought that some people want Tkachuk and not Sam because of “character” tells me that people have significantly different ideas of what character means.

When they say character, they mean toughness/jerkiness/attitude I think Tkachuk is going to speed to UFA just like what’s happening with Reinhart, so I think it would put the Sabres in a similar situation, 2 years down the road.

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

This is a red herring at best Brawndo. Change isn't so linear as change for the sake of change. Often, almost always, change takes place for improvement. In this case, the NHL product in Buffalo, New York is sub par, changes to said product are necessary for said improvements. So to say change for the sake of change completely ignores the reality on the ground. "We can do better" than this when attempting to object to trading any player, including Reinhart.

The Sabres seemed pre destined to remove their best offensive player in Jack Eichel, that appears to be inevitable.  Removing the second best in Reinhart, without knowing if the younger players can take the steps necessary to produce over an 82 game season, for the sake of change is shortsighted.

Especially when you consider that poor drafting, poor asset management, and lack of a quality front office and analytics department lead to this disaster in first place. 

We are putting a lot of faith in a GM with less than one year experience in any NHL Front Office Role, with a minimum support staff and a skeleton scouting staff to get these trades right and to select the right players with the draft picks, so holding on to Reinhart, with the caveat He wants to stay is probably the most prudent course of action. 

If he says GMTFOH,  Sabres Fans everywhere are Princess Leia going “help us Jason Karmanos you’re our only hope” 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres seemed pre destined to remove their best offensive player in Jack Eichel, that appears to be inevitable.  Removing the second best in Reinhart, without knowing if the younger players can take the steps necessary to produce over an 82 game season, for the sake of change is shortsighted.

Especially when you consider that poor drafting, poor asset management, and lack of a quality front office and analytics department lead to this disaster in first place. 

We are putting a lot of faith in a GM with less than one year experience in any NHL Front Office Role, with a minimum support staff and a skeleton scouting staff to get these trades right and to select the right players with the draft picks, so holding on to Reinhart, with the caveat He wants to stay is probably the most prudent course of action. 

If he says GMTFOH,  Sabres Fans everywhere are Princess Leia going “help us Jason Karmanos you’re our only hope” 

If Reinhart wants to stay, it makes all the sense in the world to keep him.  However, I can’t see anything but a one year deal coming up for Reinhart (especially if Jack is moved).

Are you willing to go into the season with him on a 1yr UFA deal?  He would help insulate the children, but his trade value at the deadline will sure be a good deal less than this offseason.

To me, it feels like Jack is a domino.  If he falls, Sam, Risto, and maybe even Olofsson will surely follow.

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

While I do agree insulating 5he overall franchise situation is most certainly the lowest risk move, I do have to ask, given the 1 yr rfa status of Sam, and given his current value that his performance has elevated, which is the greater risk, getting assets for him now or waiting, at least until the deadline, and changing his performance recedes a bit thereby reducing, even to a tier lower degree his value? And when you answer, you'd of course have to consider the off season changes, on ice as well as coaching staff and other, as yet unforeseen and unresolved Eichel and Risto scenarios.

Yes, itsa lot to take in, yes, it's a lot of plans that would need to be readied for any eventuality, including the situations mentioned above but not limited to them. There is also the draft to consider, what talent and where is it ready level wise, what of the existing pipeline, where will the personnel in it be evaluation wise?

But wait, there's more! 😉

What is your overall philosophy? Well, put yourself in KA's shoes, derive from his statements that philosophy.

9 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Turcotte, Kaliyev, Grans, Chromiak, 1st, 2nd. 

Not good enough, Byfield is the primary piece because he has true 1C potential. Turcotte has more 2C low end 1C potential. Turcotte is approximately like Cozens in terms of upside. Byfield is more congruent with replacing Eichel in the long run.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not good enough, Byfield is the primary piece because he has true 1C potential. Turcotte has more 2C low end 1C potential. Turcotte is approximately like Cozens in terms of upside. Byfield is more congruent with replacing Eichel in the long run.

I'd rather get a Turcotte style, two way player.  Byfield has more boom and bust in his game, but I can understand the preference.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I need the Leader of My Team perform on the Ice and be a leader in the Locker room, if He chooses to answer Hamilton’s and Harrington’s Questions be telling them to go have relations with themselves while giving them the finger I’m fine with that. 

To back up Granato’s Statements, other GMs and Front Office Personnel across the league have noticed His Play. 

Risto is a player who needs and deserves a fresh start. 

To the first sentence I need more. I'm not okay with it. It's unprofessional, it's bratty, and it's the sign of a person with a big ego who puts himself above the organization and his professional responsibilities. It's immature.

To the second, excellent. Should max his trade value. 

To the third, absolutely. I still think we can get a decent deal from Winnipeg. 

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

jack will be hard to trade because of the injury. I hold on to him until at least the trade deadline so sabres can maximize the return.  

I do want to move on from sam as I believe his value is high  after this past season and he does not want to be here long term

I would trade Reinhart and Sabres 1st rd pick to Calgary for Tkachuk and Calgary 1st rd pick.  This would allow Flames to pick a top level D to replace Giordano when he retires.

Sabres would still get a top 10 draft pick but solidify a player that would thrive in buffalo in Tkachuk.

Holding on to Eichel too long could backfire on the Sabres. He's going to be a distraction. He might even hold out claiming his neck isn't right, which will drive down his trade value even more. If you're going to move on from Eichel, rip the bandage off now and move on. Whatever players an Eichel trade would net you, wouldn't you want them at camp anyway?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

If Reinhart wants to stay, it makes all the sense in the world to keep him.  However, I can’t see anything but a one year deal coming up for Reinhart (especially if Jack is moved).

Are you willing to go into the season with him on a 1yr UFA deal?  He would help insulate the children, but his trade value at the deadline will sure be a good deal less than this offseason.

To me, it feels like Jack is a domino.  If he falls, Sam, Risto, and maybe even Olofsson will surely follow.

Why Olaffson?

Friedman refuted this on the Instigators this AM. One GM said He is probably un-tradable right now but plenty of other teams have legitimate interest in getting a deal done. 

More teams have the salary cap space and would be willing to give up roster assets in the offseason than during a playoff race.  There is also the possibility that Jack decides I’m close enough to July 1st, I’ll shut myself down for the season knowing that My NTC will give me total control over My next team. 

Are we positive that Sam does not want to be here long term?

I don't trust Eichel one bit in this situation.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why Olaffson?

Because he will be 26 next season, he’s due for a new contract after next season, I’m not sure he fits KA’s vision, and I don’t remember hearing anyone rave about him in the end of season PCs.

I did say it as a maybe.

54 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why Olaffson?

I don't trust Eichel one bit in this situation.

I would let His New Team decide on the Surgery. 

The fact that not only does His NMC kick in July 1st, 2022, but He also has a 7.5 Million Dollar Signing Bonus is giving Me Bad Flashbacks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Because he will be 26 next season, he’s due for a new contract after next season, I’m not sure he fits KA’s vision, and I don’t remember hearing anyone rave about him in the end of season PCs.

I did say it as a maybe.

Okay. I thought it was because he was supposedly disgruntled.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

To the first sentence I need more. I'm not okay with it. It's unprofessional, it's bratty, and it's the sign of a person with a big ego who puts himself above the organization and his professional responsibilities. It's immature.

To the second, excellent. Should max his trade value. 

To the third, absolutely. I still think we can get a decent deal from Winnipeg. 

He doesn’t treat other reporters the same way. 

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

While I do agree insulating 5he overall franchise situation is most certainly the lowest risk move, I do have to ask, given the 1 yr rfa status of Sam, and given his current value that his performance has elevated, which is the greater risk, getting assets for him now or waiting, at least until the deadline, and changing his performance recedes a bit thereby reducing, even to a tier lower degree his value? And when you answer, you'd of course have to consider the off season changes, on ice as well as coaching staff and other, as yet unforeseen and unresolved Eichel and Risto scenarios.

Yes, itsa lot to take in, yes, it's a lot of plans that would need to be readied for any eventuality, including the situations mentioned above but not limited to them. There is also the draft to consider, what talent and where is it ready level wise, what of the existing pipeline, where will the personnel in it be evaluation wise?

But wait, there's more! 😉

What is your overall philosophy? Well, put yourself in KA's shoes, derive from his statements that philosophy.

If Sam is willing to sign a long term deal this Summer get the deal done.

If He only wants a one year deal or to go to arbitration, I’m moving Him this Summer.  Given the luck this organization has, I’m not taking the chance of a season ending injury on opening night.  There are more trading partners in the offseason and His Value is pretty high. 

If He wants to stay on a long term deal, He stays. 

We went from talking about a Center Spine of Eichel-Reinhart-Cozens/Mitts-XXX to one of XXX-XXX-Cozens-Mitts if both Eichel and Reinhart leave. 

The names that have been discussed in an Eichel Return Zegras, Byfield and Turcotte are not ready for Top 6 Responsibilities. 

The Draft Lottery Results will determine How quickly I make a trade, especially if one of the Teams I’m trading with is The Kings or Ducks since a Top Ten Pick this year could be part of the package. 

If the Sabres come out with Beniers and Clarke in the First Round that’s not a bad haul. 

Does Columbus have interest in Risto, can I get a Goalie from them for Him. What would Winnipeg trade for Him?

Both teams do not have three Defenseman worth protecting in the expansion draft, so a pre expansion draft trade is not out of the realm of possibility 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We went from talking about a Center Spine of Eichel-Reinhart-Cozens/Mitts-XXX to one of XXX-XXX-Cozens-Mitts if both Eichel and Reinhart leave. 

The names that have been discussed in an Eichel Return Zegras, Byfield and Turcotte are not ready for Top 6 Responsibilities. 

Well, you do have lots of the Eichel-Reinhart-Risto money to kick around if you move all 3 for picks and entry level deals. So there are plenty of free agents who could be signed to fill the gap until those players mature and take over. 

Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nick Bonino maybe? Other possibilities. 

Not in any way saying you'd sign a player equal to the ones leaving but there's definitely some possibles who could be found to hold places for the kids better than Staal did. 

That's the part of this not many seem to be talking about. Since the return is likely prospect types there will be a lot of salary cap space and free money.

6 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Why do people think a NTC means eichel can pick his destination next year?  It only mattered for hall because he was a 1 year deal.  4 years remaining on eichels deal w NTC gives the team the option of saying no.  It wouldn't be ideal obviously, but the team likely has more control.

This. Plus, I can’t believe, given how he is wired, Jack Eichel being willing to miss more hockey games than Terry Pegula would be willing to let him rot.

It handicaps the Sabres somewhat, but 4 more years gives them a ton of clout.

Theres no way Jack could Taylor Hall them.

Edited by dudacek

27 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Why do people think a NTC means eichel can pick his destination next year?  It only mattered for hall because he was a 1 year deal.  4 years remaining on eichels deal w NTC gives the team the option of saying no.  It wouldn't be ideal obviously, but the team likely has more control.

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This. Plus, I can’t believe, given how he is wired, Jack Eichel being willing to miss more hockey games than Terry Pegula would be willing to let him rot.

It handicaps the Sabres somewhat, but 4 more years gives them a ton of clout.

Theres no way Jack could Taylor Hall them.

This is true, however if the situation is as toxic as it appears it’s best to rectify as soon as possible. And having 31 potential trade partners compared to maybe 2 or 3 after the NTC kicks in is preferable. 

The PLD Situation should be a warning about having a disgruntled player in the room especially if they are going with a younger one

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, you do have lots of the Eichel-Reinhart-Risto money to kick around if you move all 3 for picks and entry level deals. So there are plenty of free agents who could be signed to fill the gap until those players mature and take over. 

Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nick Bonino maybe? Other possibilities. 

Not in any way saying you'd sign a player equal to the ones leaving but there's definitely some possibles who could be found to hold places for the kids better than Staal did. 

That's the part of this not many seem to be talking about. Since the return is likely prospect types there will be a lot of salary cap space and free money.

I would add Phillip Danualt to the list. Averages a half a point per game, but is extremely defensively responsible.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would add Phillip Danualt to the list. Averages a half a point per game, but is extremely defensively responsible.

Yup. He's a possible. Czikis might be interesting as well. Not sure he's leaving NY but he's definitely a character guy. Point is there are a LOT of free agents this year. Any number of ways to rearrange the line up and add solid leadership. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is true, however if the situation is as toxic as it appears it’s best to rectify as soon as possible. And having 31 potential trade partners compared to maybe 2 or 3 after the NTC kicks in is preferable. 

The PLD Situation should be a warning about having a disgruntled player in the room especially if they are going with a younger one

Danualt would be my immediate target. Hell I wouldn't mind him regardless depending on the price seeing as he's a solid 2C.

1 hour ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

It still gives him a lot more control than he has now. He absolutely CAN and probably would block a trade to places like Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Minnesota, etc. Teams that have been mentioned.

The situation could develop as this: season goes poorly, Eichel makes it clear he wants out and the rumors/discussions start. Sabres negotiate with teams and get four/five serious suitors. Three of them are, say, Calgary, Columbus and Arizona. Eichel makes it clear through other channels that he will not accept a deal to those teams. The other teams involved in the discussions look around and realize there aren't many suitors that can compete on a deal. Price goes down. You get screwed. Trade him now.

• Like (+1) 2

I absolutely agree that if he truly wants out, he should be auctioned off to the highest bidder and gone by the draft. I also have thought for a while now that Adams wants to move him. The only impediment I see to a trade is the injury.

A Sam (1st line) Casey (scoring line) Danault (tough minutes) would be a strong spine assuming the recent Casey is real.

Adams says screw you. You’re suspended. You can sit without your paycheque and we will use your cap space to fill our needs. Accept a trade to Calgary, or rot. Four years is a long time for a 25-year-old hockey player. Calgary might start to get attractive.

(As I said above, it’s not my preferred path, but it is a lever)

47 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It still gives him a lot more control than he has now. He absolutely CAN and probably would block a trade to places like Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Minnesota, etc. Teams that have been mentioned.

The situation could develop as this: season goes poorly, Eichel makes it clear he wants out and the rumors/discussions start. Sabres negotiate with teams and get four/five serious suitors. Three of them are, say, Calgary, Columbus and Arizona. Eichel makes it clear through other channels that he will not accept a deal to those teams. The other teams involved in the discussions look around and realize there aren't many suitors that can compete on a deal. Price goes down. You get screwed. Trade him 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2