Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sam, not Jack, is the guy you try to coax to stick around. Make him a promise. Give it till trade deadline. Give Granato and the kids a training camp. If the Sabres are still floundering, Sam can pick his spot.

Why would you let him pick his spot in a deadline deal?  Trade him for the best return.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

It would be an interesting trade a week ago, now it’s a home run if that’s the deal

you could potentially land Beniers and Clarke RHD   Or even take Powers, instead of Clarke,  if you want a safer pick 

If Samson won’t sing LT then a trade to the flames for Monahan, plus a prospect

Or maybe a bigger deal for Monahan and Tkachuk  for Samson, Risto , Oloffson 

or maybe .....

Watch after all this day dreaming all 3 be back next year 😂

Are you talking about the Kings 2021 1st?  I don’t think Power or Clarke will be around at 10 and I don’t think Power is safer than Clarke.

Lindholm would be my target from Calgary.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

It's to gain Sam's trust. Get him to become the leader of the Sabres. If it doesn't work. He's free.

Picking his spot at the deadline isn’t going to be a huge thing for Sam.  It wouldn’t be long term.  He would be able to pick his spot as a UFA in the offseason anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Picking his spot at the deadline isn’t going to be a huge thing for Sam.  It wouldn’t be long term.  He would be able to pick his spot as a UFA in the offseason anyway.

But you trade him at the deadline to a contender if that's his wish. At least we get something.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But you trade him at the deadline to a contender if that's his wish. At least we get something.

Uh yeah, I get the appeal of trading him for something as opposed to letting him walk for nothing.  The question remains, why let him pick the destination?  I don’t think it makes any sense for Buffalo to do that.  What’s the benefit?

Just now, Curt said:

Uh yeah, I get the appeal of trading him for something as opposed to letting him walk for nothing.  The question remains, why let him pick the destination?  I don’t think it makes any sense for Buffalo to do that.  What’s the benefit?

You're right. I'm just thinking that Sam has been around longer than Jack and has seen more losing. He's burnt out, but he can still show up and play. And he saw what the young players can do. Maybe you can coax Sam to give it one more year and be the leader.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Really Don’t want to trade Sam

24CAEBA3-FD9B-4DC7-A64A-0C8857CD96BE.jpeg

The stats don't matter for any of this. It's all about attitude, desire, and pride in the blue and gold. I don't think he has it any more. I don't think he ever had it (but that's a point of debate not really important for the discussion) and as with Eichel (and Risto) if we don't want to ruin the kids, the non believers, the broken if you prefer, they have to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The stats don't matter for any of this. It's all about attitude, desire, and pride in the blue and gold. I don't think he has it any more. I don't think he ever had it (but that's a point of debate not really important for the discussion) and as with Eichel (and Risto) if we don't want to ruin the kids, the non believers, the broken if you prefer, they have to go. 

Yet, Don Granato has been quite effusive in His Praise for Sammy for His On Ice Play and His Leadership for the team. TSN Insider Frank Servalli was on WGR this AM and mentioned the there is a difference between How Sam Reinhart is covered by the Media in Buffalo and the actual reality of Reinhart and what happens behind the scenes with him. Servalli did an interview with Granato and spend a lot of time talking about His Impressions of Players. Granato was blown away by Sam’s Leadership. The Sam the public sees in Press Conferences and Zoom Calls is not what the Sabres in the Lockerroom and on the Ice. The latter is much more important. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Yet, Don Granato has been quite effusive in His Praise for Sammy for His On Ice Play and His Leadership for the team. TSN Insider Frank Servalli was on WGR this AM and mentioned the there is a difference between How Sam Reinhart is covered by the Media in Buffalo and the actual reality of Reinhart and what happens behind the scenes with him. Servalli did an interview with Granato and spend a lot of time talking about His Impressions of Players. Granato was blown away by Sam’s Leadership. The Sam the public sees in Press Conferences and Zoom Calls is not what the Sabres in the Lockerroom and on the Ice. The latter is much more important. 

Could be. But I still think if he's a primary leader he has to be more. He needs to have a public face too to be a real team leader. As for Granato, he's only going to say positive things as he tries to get the job, that doesn't mean much.

I really just think if it's a non Eichel reset it should be a full reset and Sam simply has too much baggage from the losing era. Trade him at max value, which is now. 

If the Kings want Eichel, I'd demand Byfield & Turcotte/Valardi

We are giving them what Byfield may or may not become, and with 5 years of control on top of it.  

If they don't want to, then we look elsewhere.

If no one is willing to give us top tier prospects then I'd just keep him. Even if we get to next year he can't force a trade. If he tries what Hall did with his NMC, you just tell him no. Eating Eichel's salary for 4 years is actually more beneficial than trading him to a division rival for garbage. Sometimes denying your opponent can be more valuable to you.  

jack will be hard to trade because of the injury. I hold on to him until at least the trade deadline so sabres can maximize the return.  

I do want to move on from sam as I believe his value is high  after this past season and he does not want to be here long term

I would trade Reinhart and Sabres 1st rd pick to Calgary for Tkachuk and Calgary 1st rd pick.  This would allow Flames to pick a top level D to replace Giordano when he retires.

Sabres would still get a top 10 draft pick but solidify a player that would thrive in buffalo in Tkachuk.

37 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

jack will be hard to trade because of the injury. I hold on to him until at least the trade deadline so sabres can maximize the return.  

I do want to move on from sam as I believe his value is high  after this past season and he does not want to be here long term

I would trade Reinhart and Sabres 1st rd pick to Calgary for Tkachuk and Calgary 1st rd pick.  This would allow Flames to pick a top level D to replace Giordano when he retires.

Sabres would still get a top 10 draft pick but solidify a player that would thrive in buffalo in Tkachuk.

There is some logic in this proposal, pending a closer look at the possible picks.

Separately, the thought that some people want Tkachuk and not Sam because of “character” tells me that people have significantly different ideas of what character means.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is some logic in this proposal, pending a closer look at the possible picks.

Separately, the thought that some people want Tkachuk and not Sam because of “character” tells me that people have significantly different ideas of what character means.

They both come from fathers who played the NHL and have been around the game their whole life.  I just feel Sabres fans would fall in love with the hard nose game Tkachuk plays and he would become the face of the franchise if Sabres decided to move on from Jack during or after this next season.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Bergeron has Marchand. Two different types of characters. Ideally you have a Sam Reinhart and a Tkachuk on the team (in terms of character)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

A desire for change is a tad different than finger pointing, wouldn't you agree?

Too often the reasoning on this board for moving Reinhart comes down to they haven’t won anything with him, so what’s the difference if they move him, so change for the sake of change parallels the old adage throwing the baby out with the bath water.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I mean, how good can they be? Are we waiting for Jack to be surrounded by another Jack and two more Sams and a couple of Rasmi?

The answer's somewhere in the middle, as always.

If the Sabres had scouted better,  drafted better, made better trades,  had a better analytics department they would have been able to surround Jack and Sam with the talent they needed to be successful. 

Last offseason Sabres Twitter Armchair GMs suggested the Sabres sign Tyler Toffoli, Carter Verhaeghe and to keep Johan Larsson. Instead they gave Zemgus a 3 year extension at 2.8 Million AAV, signed Cody Eakin at 2 Years 2.2 Million and let Larsson walk.  Guess which roster would have been better?

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Could be. But I still think if he's a primary leader he has to be more. He needs to have a public face too to be a real team leader. As for Granato, he's only going to say positive things as he tries to get the job, that doesn't mean much.

I really just think if it's a non Eichel reset it should be a full reset and Sam simply has too much baggage from the losing era. Trade him at max value, which is now. 

I need the Leader of My Team perform on the Ice and be a leader in the Locker room, if He chooses to answer Hamilton’s and Harrington’s Questions be telling them to go have relations with themselves while giving them the finger I’m fine with that. 

To back up Granato’s Statements, other GMs and Front Office Personnel across the league have noticed His Play. 

Reinhart has been a consistent producer for this team and His Metrics warranted a Long Term Deal when He came off His ELC. He signed His Two Bridge Deals, did not complain in the media and stepped up this season to fill the leadership vacuum with Jack Hurt.

I think the organization has reached the point of no return with Eichel. Both sides need a breakup from Their Toxic Relationship. What concerns me the most is His Herniated Disc and How this effects Him going forward.  Surgery or Rehab their will be a risk for reoccurrence especially if the league knows about it now.  Moving on is best for both sides. 

If Sam makes it clear that he doesn’t want to be here and will only sign a one year deal or files for arbitration. Then move Him in the offseason.  If He says I liked what I saw at the end of the season, wants to be part of the solution in Buffalo and agrees to a 5 or 6 year Extension, sign Him as a leader for the young guys. 

Risto is a player who needs and deserves a fresh start. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Too often the reasoning on this board for moving Reinhart comes down to they haven’t won anything with him, so what’s the difference if they move him, so change for the sake of change parallels the old adage throwing the baby out with the bath water.

This is a red herring at best Brawndo. Change isn't so linear as change for the sake of change. Often, almost always, change takes place for improvement. In this case, the NHL product in Buffalo, New York is sub par, changes to said product are necessary for said improvements. So to say change for the sake of change completely ignores the reality on the ground. "We can do better" than this when attempting to object to trading any player, including Reinhart.