LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It was Sarcasm 

So yes lol

I claim no fault here as the thread is full of terrible trade ideas 

Though it IS my fault in honesty, was all too hasty in response 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Jack is not my favourite Sabre but his ability is great. I hope he is watching this run and getting motivated to be 100% and assume the role of leadership of this young group. With Hall and Stall gone, Eakin, Irwin and Rieder on the fringes as well as Okposo and McCabe’s statuses unknown, he is “the” veteran.

I go back and forth on whether he should be traded but I think it boils down to how badly he wants to win in Buffalo. If he is in then so am I.

The youth has taken the next step and now he needs to do it too. His maturation as a leader is very important.

• Like (+1) 1

We didn’t see an ounce of good Jack this year which makes trading him a possible thought. 

He’s still a beast of a player and I wonder what he’d do under Granato

Definitely not a leader though

But definitely Damaged goods now which hurts any return. 

mid want a blue chip or two plus firsts. Not just one or the other. 

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I can tell you exactly where I was and who I was with the last time we won a playoff game and that makes me kinda sad. 

I recall that Robert had just been born and Mother and I went out and bought one of those newfangled Tele-Visions. I was on the roof adjusting the antenna when Mother let out a whoop-whoop and excitedly shouted that some skating exhibition was on the gizmo. At first I thought Bobby had bit her nipple again. We watched Ike instead warn us of the military-industrial complex, ate a frozen dinner and went up and started working on Elizabeth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

At the end of the day, for all his talent, Jack has captained the most underachieving teams in franchise history. He has only shown occasional runs of consistent elite-level play. He has been injured a lot. 

I think it's time to forget about the past - the Tank that brought Jack here in the first place, the idea that he's the centerpiece of the team, etc. -  Just pull the Band-aid off and trade him already. Haven't we seen enough to know that he's not the saviour of the franchise? 

The sad truth is that if/when he is moved, he will probably thrive in his new home and become the player we all wished he was. It's just not going to happen in Buffalo, I'm afraid. 

Edited by Skibum
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Skibum said:

At the end of the day, for all his talent, Jack has captained the most underachieving teams in franchise history. He has only shown occasional runs of consistent elite-level play. He has been injured a lot. 

I think it's time to forget about the past - the Tank that brought Jack here in the first place, the idea that he's the centerpiece of the team, etc. -  Just pull the Band-aid off and trade him already. Haven't we seen enough to know that he's not the saviour of the franchise? 

The sad truth is that if/when he is moved, he will probably thrive in his new home and become the player we all wished he was. It's just not going to happen in Buffalo, I'm afraid. 

I think Eichel can be awesome on this team still. It's like when Ovechkin was rumored to be traded and then after the team around him improved won a cup. The Sabres should keep him and improve the team. We're better with him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Skibum said:

I dunno, IMO for the most part what the teams have achieved is reasonably reflective of the sum of their roster. We’ve haven’t had A good centre behind Jack since ROR, just for one thing, and we are comfortable attributing the failure to his captaincy? To me it willfully ignores more likely explanations for the failure. 

The second bold sums it up nicely. Saviour. That is, exactly, what the roster construction has been asking Jack to be, for the most part. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So yes lol

I claim no fault here as the thread is full of terrible trade ideas 

Though it IS my fault in honesty, was all too hasty in response 

First off, those trades were posted to stir the pot, didn't put serious thought into any of them, not advocating any of them, not advocating trading Jack.

But there was a theme: each one targets some of the other team's best players; and a point: if we are trading Jack, I want real quality coming back, not baskets full of lottery tickets.

Which leads me to a serious question: If trades where the return includes players the calibre of Elias Petterson and Sasha Barkov are "terrible" what constitutes a "reasonable" return?

I'm 100% willing to trade Jack Eichel is the right deal presents itself. The right deal won't present itself. Mostly because the right deal is NOT a couple firsts and a couple players who have not proven themselves on a meaningful stage. I need AT LEAST one (likely 2+) players who can play heavy minutes in the NHL RIGHT NOW then we can talk about the prospects/picks.

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

First off, those trades were posted to stir the pot, didn't put serious thought into any of them, not advocating any of them, not advocating trading Jack.

But there was a theme: each one targets some of the other team's best players; and a point: if we are trading Jack, I want real quality coming back, not baskets full of lottery tickets.

Which leads me to a serious question: If trades where the return includes players the calibre of Elias Petterson and Sasha Barkov are "terrible" what constitutes a "reasonable" return?

I know. I spoke of the trades themselves I wasn't implying you thought they were good/what you were after etc

- - - 

Petterson and Barkov are in the conversation, I said the thread was full of terrible trades, not that every single trade was terrible

Edit - I also hadn't seen Barkov mentioned yet when I said "best of the bunch" in reference to the Calgary deal. Already posted though that I should have finished in totality. Was behind on the thread. As I said that's my fault

Edited by Thorny

49 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I'm 100% willing to trade Jack Eichel is the right deal presents itself. The right deal won't present itself. Mostly because the right deal is NOT a couple firsts and a couple players who have not proven themselves on a meaningful stage. I need AT LEAST one (likely 2+) players who can play heavy minutes in the NHL RIGHT NOW then we can talk about the prospects/picks.

Exactly. The deal I keep saying I want is one people keep saying other teams won't pay. So don't trade him, I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let’s not forget that Eichel has basically dictated the HC situation over the past few years. It was rumored he put the knife in both Byslma and Housely. As for Ralph, did he sign off on the hiring such a poor coach? It’s true Jack has Captained the most underachieving team in the NHL. But, if we want to pass that blame on to Ralph, we’re indirectly placing the blame on Jack too. 

As for Jack’s skill...he’s elite (when motivated). There’s no denying that. And I don’t think he’s more injury prone than any other NHL player. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Skibum said:

We will never know if he could of done better if we refuse to trade him. That’s fine with me. I’d rather not have our franchise center get traded then watch him take off.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Skibum said:

I think this merits a bit more discussion.

For this argument, the Sabres could get a variant of the Alexander Mogilny trade.  In this scenario, the Sabres also move Reinhart and Ristolainen to build depth and the future.

Against this is that Jack has led the only consistently effective scoring line for the last 3 seasons.  He has carried the team with Reinhart and a pittance of support.  I think you are underestimating how good Eichel has been.

The one place where I think you are objectively correct is that we need to stop thinking of Eichel and Reinhart as fruits of The Tank.  That thinking is the Sunk Cost Fallacy writ large.  We need to think of the team as an ensemble.  It looks like GMKA is avoiding that with his off-season planning -- thankfully.

7 hours ago, kas23 said:

Let’s not forget that Eichel has basically dictated the HC situation over the past few years. It was rumored he put the knife in both Byslma and Housely. As for Ralph, did he sign off on the hiring such a poor coach? It’s true Jack has Captained the most underachieving team in the NHL. But, if we want to pass that blame on to Ralph, we’re indirectly placing the blame on Jack too. 

As for Jack’s skill...he’s elite (when motivated). There’s no denying that. And I don’t think he’s more injury prone than any other NHL player. 

sauce on the bylsma/housley stuff? I've' heard that he was chosen by a bunch of players as a spokesman to take their Bylsma concerns to Tim. But I don't even remember if THAT was reported by someone worthwhile, or just whispered about on the internet. Never heard the Housley thing

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, kas23 said:

will smith bullshit GIF

Edited by LGR4GM

Building Eichel deals I would consider (that neither team involved would probably do - no cap work was considered in these deals):

Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen to the Rangers for D Adam Fox, RW Pavel Buchnevich, C Ryan Strome and a 1st (tempted to add K’Andre Miller to this).

Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen to the Hurricanes for C Sebastian Aho, D Brett Pesce, prospect Jack Drury and a 1st.

Jack Eichel to the Islanders for C Mathew Barzal, Ilya Sorokin and a 1st.

Jack Eichel to the Avalanche for LW Gabriel Landeskog, D Cale Makar and prospect Alex Newhook.

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

Please show me a game where Jack played and was not motivated. I want to rewatch it.

The thing that most makes me not want to trade Jack is the thought of him winning the cup with another team. I know he can be the player that leads a team to the cup. I want that team to be us.

I'm starting to buy into this conspiracy theory that their is some cabal of NHL insiders that wants Jack away from the Sabres and downplayed JBotts failures (because he was one of "their guys").

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Building Eichel deals I would consider (that neither team involved would probably do - no cap work was considered in these deals):

Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen to the Rangers for D Adam Fox, RW Pavel Buchnevich, C Ryan Strome and a 1st (tempted to add K’Andre Miller to this).

Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen to the Hurricanes for C Sebastian Aho, D Brett Pesce, prospect Jack Drury and a 1st.

Jack Eichel to the Avalanche for LW Gabriel Landeskog, D Cale Makar and prospect Alex Newhook.

Hmm, I'd throw out the 1st trade as the only elite level potential talent is Fox. Strome is a UFA after next year, Buchnevich is a good player but not great and an RFA this year, and a mid 1st isn't exactly a given.

Trade 2 is likely the most interesting as you'd get a high grade C, and solid Dman with a mid to late 1st and a prospect. The biggest flaw is both Aho and Pesce are UFAs in 3 years (after this year) and they are in our conference.

Trade 3 is mediocre but almost entirely due to Barzal having a 7mil bridge contract for only 2 additional years. Then he'd get a payday. Sorokin and a late 1st are assets but nothing that makes me overlook their conference alignment.

Trade 4 is likely the only one I might accept; however Landeskog is a UFA this year which puts a damper on it. If he had, let's say a 6x7.5 mil extension and then they also got Makar signed to a solid contract(as he's an RFA this year) getting Newhook would be a bonus. 

16 hours ago, French Collection said:

Jack is not my favourite Sabre but his ability is great. I hope he is watching this run and getting motivated to be 100% and assume the role of leadership of this young group. With Hall and Stall gone, Eakin, Irwin and Rieder on the fringes as well as Okposo and McCabe’s statuses unknown, he is “the” veteran.

I go back and forth on whether he should be traded but I think it boils down to how badly he wants to win in Buffalo. If he is in then so am I.

The youth has taken the next step and now he needs to do it too. His maturation as a leader is very important.

Jack is not a favorite of mine either and I hope he is watching and ready to play next season.  It is a bit worrisome that he is “the veteran” of the forwards. 

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Jack Eichel to Anaheim for gibson/zegras.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I just don't want next season to be all about Jack. Does Jack want to be here, is Jack healthy, is Jack happy, are we winning enough for Jack to want to stay. Jack Jack Jack and nothing but Jack. 

I think we're better off without him and to build a team where no one player stands above the rest. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Jack Eichel to Anaheim for gibson/zegras.

Gibson has one of the worst contracts in the NHL. He's been absolute dogshit for a couple years now. That may be a product of the system he's in but I'm not taking a chance on that. Especially not with maybe the best asset this team has ever had to offer. I'm also not placing huge importance on a goalie in a deal for a franchise center.

• Thanks (+1) 1