Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Jack Eichel is a hockey player. That's the only thing he knows how to do. I think the Sabres would be more than happy to call his bluff on any kind of protest he might stage. He's more than welcome to pout his way out of an NHL career if he wants to.

If this is true, then what we do is easy - we don't trade him

If the rumors are true, it's either initiated by the Sabres (not good imo) or Adams doesn't feel the way you do about leverage. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder how much winning to end this year impacts Jack's mindset going into next season. 

You also have to wonder how it may change the mindset of ownership, GM, and HC.

The way some of these guys are stepping up and playing it could come to a point where team chemistry dictates a fresh start for Jack elsewhere IMO.

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

You also have to wonder how it may change the mindset of ownership, GM, and HC.

The way some of these guys are stepping up and playing it could come to a point where team chemistry dictates a fresh start for Jack elsewhere IMO.

I don't agree because the Reinhart line is okay but with Eichel it would be good. Skiner - Eichel - Reinhart is better than Skinner - Reinhart - Olofsson. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, darksabre said:

He can't. He has a contract. He's here and he's gonna play, or he can quit the NHL and go play in Russia until his contract is up. He has no leverage. 

Short of Berglunding him, what happens if Jack sits in an effort to force a trade?  More specifically:  If he's sitting out, does his salary count against the cap?  Or if they suspend him for nonperformance/discipline without canceling his contract, does his cap hit go away while he's out?

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

the squandering of an asset that we rely on so heavily

I don't see Granato relying on him at all, tbh.

• Like (+1) 1

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Bjork - Cozens - R2

Asplund - Mitts - Thompson

Zemgus - a center - Okposo if he's ok. 

That lineup is much much stronger with Eichel in it. 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Short of Berglunding him, what happens if Jack sits in an effort to force a trade?  More specifically:  If he's sitting out, does his salary count against the cap?  Or if they suspend him for nonperformance/discipline without canceling his contract, does his cap hit go away while he's out?

His salary would not count because he would be suspended... at least I think that's how it would work. I don't see Eichel doing that though, it isn't in his nature. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If the season starts and Jack Eichel is once again best suited of anyone on the roster to be the 1C based on performance, we are relying on him

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I don't know and it doesn't matter. The team can't be seen as a doormat for star players, so it will act accordingly.

If Jack wants out then it's his job to show up and earn the Sabres the best possible value in return. That's his only way out.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Bjork - Cozens - R2

Asplund - Mitts - Thompson

Zemgus - a center - Okposo if he's ok. 

That lineup is much much stronger with Eichel in it. 

His salary would not count because he would be suspended... at least I think that's how it would work. I don't see Eichel doing that though, it isn't in his nature. 

Ya, same one I posted to a "t". Seeing Cozens and Mitts play so well has the opposite effect on me as on some other stances I've read: it just makes me want Jack back more. At the end of the day, the goal is to win the CUP, right? I'd love to have 3 really good centres. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

Ya, same one I posted to a "t". Seeing Cozens and Mitts play so well has the opposite effect on me as on some other stances I've read: it just makes me want Jack back more. At the end of the day, the goal is to win the CUP, right? I'd love to have 3 really good centres. 

We as fans have to stop the idea that "okay this guy is playing good so that means we can dump this other guy"... no it means we can start to build depth and have multiple good lines. Trading Eichel is the same conversation as trading ROR and that regardless of return was always a bad idea. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm just detailing the type of trade I'd look at after it was made and in the immediate aftermath say, "oh, ok, I'm good with that". Proving that what I want is "impossible" doesn't sway my argument, it solidifies it for me: don't make the trade, then 

I don’t think what you want is impossible.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

We as fans have to stop the idea that "okay this guy is playing good so that means we can dump this other guy"... no it means we can start to build depth and have multiple good lines. Trading Eichel is the same conversation as trading ROR and that regardless of return was always a bad idea. 

The C on Jack makes it more complicated then just dumping the other guy IMO.

• LGR4GM changed the title to The Jack Eichel trade rumor and speculation thread (sorry).
6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If the season starts and Jack Eichel is once again best suited of anyone on the roster to be the 1C based on performance, we are relying on him

I know Granato will use Jack if he's available, my point is he's not using his absence as an excuse now:  He's making the best team he can, and that team is winning.  Right now, at least, Granato isn't relying on Eichel one bit because Eichel isn't playing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Olofsson to the Kraken?

I'd trade him or yes, expose him. 

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Kaliyev too. They have plenty of assets to make a deal work. Problem is we will be limited to three at most. 

Why only 3?

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. We've been bad for so long that we all forget how much it takes not only to win, but win a lot. Imagine winning a playoff series! I'm as guilty as anyone and it's why I thought our top 6 was gonna be "one of the best in the league" this year. 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Yup. We've been bad for so long that we all forget how much it takes not only to win, but win a lot. Imagine winning a playoff series! I'm as guilty as anyone and it's why I thought our top 6 was gonna be "one of the best in the league" this year. 

I can tell you exactly where I was and who I was with the last time we won a playoff game and that makes me kinda sad. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can tell you exactly where I was and who I was with the last time we won a playoff game and that makes me kinda sad. 

I moved out from my parents house in 2012. I said, "well, of course I'm still gonna watch the playoff games here! I'll be here for every one" to my Dad

Deedly derp de derpdedoo

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

I moved out from my parents house in 2012. I said, "well, of course I'm still gonna watch the playoff games here! I'll be here for every one" to my Dad

Deedly derp de derpdedoo

When I lived in Georgia I spent years bragging about playoff hockey and the Sabres... like a chump. 

Keeping Eichel allows Cozens to play 2nd line C which he will outgrow (good). It allows Mitts to play 3rd line c which he may outgrow (good). It basically forces a bunch of players into positions they may be overqualified for... which is good. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Turcotte looks like he will Top Out as 2C or 3C on a championship team. 

Any deal with The Kings has to include Byfield 

Adam Fox Already we choose to sign with two NHL teams in Calgary and Carolina to facilitate him becoming a New York Ranger. I imagine he does the same thing with Buffalo and does what’s necessary to get back to New York City as quickly as possible.

I have zero desire to trade Jack Eichel however there maybe some instances where it’s necessary

If the team does have another poor season next year I would target a trade for him right after the Stanley Cup final but before July 1, 2022 this way you would have a full slate of teams trade with with. 

And yes he is under contract and he is to honor the contract however we’ve seen too many instances where things have gotten bad between the player and the organization to the point where a trade needs to happen . look at Duchene out of Colorado or Dubois out of Columbus. And no team can afford to have their captain and ten million dollar asset  sitting in the press box because his want to be traded. 

Again the best result woukd be fielding a playoff team So that Jack would rather sign an extension, then leave

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

You makin stuff up like Dreger, too? TSN ain't gonna hire ya.

Not making stuff up.  Just "trusting" the guys who do make stuff up.  Reportedly there were two Western Conference offers that were better that Hall wouldn't approve. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Turcotte looks like he will Top Out as 2C or 3C on a championship team. 

Any deal with The Kings has to include Byfield 

Adam Fox Already we choose to sign with two NHL teams in Calgary and Carolina to facilitate him becoming a New York Ranger. I imagine he does the same thing with Buffalo and does what’s necessary to get back to New York City as quickly as possible.

I have zero desire to trade Jack Eichel however there maybe some instances where it’s necessary

If the team does have another poor season next year I would target a trade for him right after the Stanley Cup final but before July 1, 2022 this way you would have a full slate of teams trade with with. 

And yes he is under contract and he is to honor the contract however we’ve seen too many instances where things have gotten bad between the player and the organization to the point where a trade needs to happen . look at Duchene out of Colorado or Dubois out of Columbus. And no team can afford to have their captain and ten million dollar asset  sitting in the press box because his want to be traded. 

Again the best result woukd be fielding a playoff team So that Jack would rather sign an extension, then leave

It's all here.