Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Just now, Flashsabre said:

If they draft Beniers and IF they traded with the Kings and Turcotte was part of the deal then Adams would be on track with his “identity” for the team: Cozens, Beniers, Turcotte would be the poster children for Sabres “fast, skilled, high effort, high character, 200 foot players”

You gotta go after Byfield I think. 

For the record though, Turcotte in his lone NCAA season as a DY+1 player produced less than Matt Beniers this past season. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Right.

If there's a trade out there that returns solid prospects AND a top line player who is not as good as Jack, but a first line player, it's the trade I would make if I had my choice. 

To me the only way a Kings return would be acceptable is if it's the best return (and very well could be) and KA has no other choice but to make the deal. If it's team driven, I just don't make the deal 

If the Kings are offering Byfield + for Eichel I am listening but it starts with Quinton and goes from there.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For the record though, Turcotte in his lone NCAA season as a DY+1 player produced less than Matt Beniers this past season. 

If the Kings are offering Byfield + for Eichel I am listening but it starts with Quinton and goes from there.

Are you listening if Jack is ready and raring to go as a Buffalo Sabre?

Just now, Thorny said:

Listening yes, actually interested no. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Listening yes, actually interested no. 

Now if Jack is ready to go and all in and LA calls is like look, we will give you Byfield, Turcotte, Bjornfoot, Kempe, and 2 firsts... then I might not laugh and hang up. 

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Rangers have plenty of assets. Soon to be 1G, Fox, Kakko/Laf, Zib, Miller, Buchnevich.

Would anyone not take Shesterkin, Fox, Laf and Buchnevich for Eichel?

For the record, Rangers fans would not trade any of Fox, Laf or Shesterkin on their own for Eichel.

Now, the Rangers aren't the same as Ranger fans, but I am reasonably certain Fox would not be on the table and I am also reasonably certain the Sabres would want an asset as good as Lafreniere coming back.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree I was just mentioning Turcotte fits that mold.  If it were a serious trade discussion I am going after both.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

@Thorny  I get it.  It’s a tough topic.

I'm just detailing the type of trade I'd look at after it was made and in the immediate aftermath say, "oh, ok, I'm good with that". Proving that what I want is "impossible" doesn't sway my argument, it solidifies it for me: don't make the trade, then 

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For the record, Rangers fans would not trade any of Fox, Laf or Shesterkin on their own for Eichel.

Now, the Rangers aren't the same as Ranger fans, but I am reasonably certain Fox would not be on the table and I am also reasonably certain the Sabres would want an asset as good as Lafreniere coming back.

The Rangers would be insane not to trade Laf for Eichel though, and I'd want more than Laf back if I'm the Sabres. Agree on Fox probably. 

Turcotte at DY+1 is 0.6207 P1/gp (primary points per game played)

Beniers at DE (draft eligible) 0.7916 P1/gp

Beniers is about 9 months younger than Turcotte. 

You sold me. I'm trading Eichel to Betman for Beniers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If I was trading Eichel my ask would initially be a hockey trade, either straight across along the lines of Johansson/Jones or, more likely a package, like Lafontaine/Turgeon

If they go the traditional "futures" route, my ask would include a 1st-round pick/equivalent prospect, a good top-six NHL forward and a high-end young player/prospect. One of the latter-two assets would have to have 1st-line ability.

So, for the Rangers: Chytil/Miller Krieder/Zibanejad Kakko/Lafreniere

The Kings are tougher: Turcotte Kempe Byfield lacks the top-6 element, but might make up for it in the strength of prospects and the cap space.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Again people need to realize that the Sabres aren’t looking to trade Jack. It is only an option if Jack forces his way out.

He can't. He has a contract. He's here and he's gonna play, or he can quit the NHL and go play in Russia until his contract is up. He has no leverage. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If I was trading Eichel my ask would initially be a hockey trade, either straight across along the lines of Johansson/Jones or, more likely a package, like Lafontaine/Turgeon

If they go the traditional "futures" route, my ask would include a 1st-round pick/equivalent prospect, a good top-six NHL forward and a high-end young player/prospect. One of the latter-two assets would have to have 1st-line ability.

So, for the Rangers: Chytil/Miller Krieder/Zibanejad Kakko/Lafreniere

The Kings are tougher: Turcotte Kempe Byfield lacks the top-6 element, but might make up for it in the strength of prospects and the cap space.

If they offer Turcotte, Kempe, Byfield... my next question to them is how many first rounders? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

If they offer Turcotte, Kempe, Byfield... my next question to them is how many first rounders? 

Yeah, I don't do that deal either, mostly because there is a reasonable chance neither Byfield nor Turcotte justify their draft position.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

He can't. He has a contract. He's here and he's gonna play, or he can quit the NHL and go play in Russia until his contract is up. He has no leverage. 

He has leverage. Until it's proven otherwise the squandering of an asset that we rely on so heavily adversely affects the results of the team. 

Ya, if we come out next year and are world-beaters and Jack is sitting out, he has no leverage. But if it looks like there's an Eichel sized-hole in our roster, his 10 mil is sunk cost, and something we can't afford to not account for. 

It's not about what he can leverage FROM the Sabres, it's what he takes away just by not being there/not being himself. It's a symbiotic relationship

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He has leverage. Until it's proven otherwise the squandering of an asset that we rely on so heavily adversely affects the results of the team. 

Ya, if we come out next year and are world-beaters and Jack is sitting out, he has no leverage. But if it looks like there's an Eichel sized-hole in our roster, his 10 mil is sunk cost, and something we can't afford to not account for. 

It's not about what he can leverage FROM the Sabres, it's what he takes away just by not being there/not being himself. It's a symbiotic relationship

I wonder how much winning to end this year impacts Jack's mindset going into next season. 

I wonder how much winning to end this year impacts Jack's mindset going into next season. 

A great question. This is such a funny discussion, and it's so important, yet I basically have to argue it from two points of view at the same time, the one where the team hypothetically has interest in moving him, and the one where it's Jack initiated. Expectations change significantly depending. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

Jack Eichel is a hockey player. That's the only thing he knows how to do. I think the Sabres would be more than happy to call his bluff on any kind of protest he might stage. He's more than welcome to pout his way out of an NHL career if he wants to.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Jack Eichel is a hockey player. That's the only thing he knows how to do. I think the Sabres would be more than happy to call his bluff on any kind of protest he might stage. He's more than welcome to pout his way out of an NHL career if he wants to.

Would be outside of Eichel's character. 

I guess I have the minority view, but I think this is the time to move on and make the deal. There's a few reasons.

1. You've got the question of full recovery. Likely, but what if he's never quite the same?

2. The team has a new feel and a new direction without him . There seems to be a greater unity, more effort, it's more of a TEAM than a focus on individuals. There are perhaps a number of reasons for that, but if it's a culture shift driven by young players not part of the losing culture do you want to upset that or build off of it? 

3. If Jack is not traded and we go back to losing next year we are sunk and it's all on him and we will get even less in return as the questions on and about him will bring up all kinds of nastiness and cancer talk and locker rooms and who knows what. It'll get ugly.

4. That no move clause. Trade before it kicks in. 

IDK, but the bottom line for me is I haven't liked the way this team plays (aside from the little 10 game fool ya win streak we had before) in all the years Eichel has been here and I am enjoying the hockey now. I don't want to lose that and if I'm the GM and I can save a ton of cap money for future signings and fill my prospect pool while keeping this current team as is I'm going to do it. To me it's a no brainer, unless the return offered is crap of course. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Would be outside of Eichel's character. 

That's exactly what I'm saying. He's a competitor. He's not going to sit in the press box for a whole season just to make a point. So his only option is to play and play hard, if he is a man of character. Then maybe the Sabres do him the favor and give him his way out. But he's not going to strong-arm them.