Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

You cannot win a trade when you are trading the better player, you only lose it. "Its time for a change" is the stupidest reason to trade a player, as we saw in O'Reilly. You don't trade a good to great young player with term on their contract just because the team around him has been absolute crap for years. Its not his fault in the years he's been here they've been unable to bring in a halfway decent defense or goalie.

That said, his NTC is going to kick in soon and they are absolutely going to trade him now for two firsts, a second, a 29 year old defenseman who "just needs a change of scenery", and the fourth best prospect the team they trade him to has to offer, so just get ready for it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, sabills said:

You cannot win a trade when you are trading the better player, you only lose it. "Its time for a change" is the stupidest reason to trade a player, as we saw in O'Reilly. You don't trade a good to great young player with term on their contract just because the team around him has been absolute crap for years. Its not his fault in the years he's been here they've been unable to bring in a halfway decent defense or goalie.

That said, his NTC is going to kick in soon and they are absolutely going to trade him now for two firsts, a second, a 29 year old defenseman who "just needs a change of scenery", and the fourth best prospect the team they trade him to has to offer, so just get ready for it.

The only way you win that trade is a Lindros-Avs trade, and even then the Avs got the best player.

Trading Eichel is beyond stupid. Hopefully Karmanos can talk some sense here

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For awhile now there have been rumors on an Eichel trade. The 2 teams most often discussed are the NYR (who do not have the assets needed for a trade) and the LA Kings (who do have the assets needed for a trade). 

I think we should prepare ourselves that Jack Eichel will be traded.  As good as he can be I don't know that I have a problem with it.  If it ultimately puts the Sabres into a position to be perennial playoff participants I think I can live with it.

I get the concept of not trading away that level of talent, but things appear to be heading towards a place where it has to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The only way you win that trade is a Lindros-Avs trade, and even then the Avs got the best player.

Trading Eichel is beyond stupid. Hopefully Karmanos can talk some sense here

I feel like that too, to me if they move him there's gotta be something "else" going on, beyond some sort of "just to do it, core shake up!" thinking from KA. It doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

The only way a deal seems palatable to me is if we are getting back one current true first line player in return, along with all the prospects/picks that undoubtedly will be in there. 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Is Jack Eichel the new Pierre Turgeon? 

Lindros fits better cause of the injury history 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I feel like that too, to me if they move him there's gotta be something "else" going on, beyond some sort of "just to do it, core shake up!" thinking from KA. It doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

The only way a deal seems palatable to me is if we are getting back one current true first line player in return, along with all the prospects/picks that undoubtedly will be in there. 

Lindros fits better cause of the injury history 

A Lindros return changes the fortunes of this team pretty quick.

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Of course. I don't have confidence at all in that arising, just saying for arguments sake it reminds me more of that. I think it would be Jack driven, too

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche would like a word with you.

Exception that's so notable so as to prove the Rule

• Like (+1) 1

What sucks is that the media is driving the bus on this.

Whether Jack has requested a trade or the team has decided to pursue one, the media is the one telling the stories. 

Just because Dreger says "it feels like" it's time for a change means it is? 

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Again though the Avs unknowingly got the best player in that deal, you can't plan for that to happen. Lindros also had a great career it was simply marred by concussions.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Are we getting Lafontaine back?!

Stay tuned

Just now, WildCard said:

Again though the Avs unknowingly got the best player in that deal, you can't plan for that to happen. Lindros also had a great career it was simply marred by concussions.

He did. He was dominant when he was healthy and engaged. 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Give me an example with an extant team and we can talk. Any superstar trade over the last 2 decades has gone the wrong way for the team trading them away.

You're never going to get a Lindros return for Eichel anyways, if for no other reason than because people don't want to be the next Lindros trade. Just like we'll never see another Herschel Walker trade in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

With the current state of the franchise being that the kids are learning to play without the top player on the depth chart, moving Eichel now could set up this franchise to win for years to come.  

If the return is too good to pass up, don't. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Of course. I don't have confidence at all in that arising, just saying for arguments sake it reminds me more of that. I think it would be Jack driven, too

Exception that's so notable so as to prove the Rule

I think the situation is different here compared to Lindros.  I don't think Eichel pulls in that kind of haul, not after the last season he's had.  Not with his injury history.  The reason the Lindros trade proves the rule is that it shaped that rule.  Teams learned you don't trade that many assets for a single player, because what if that single player gets injured.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

What sucks is that the media is driving the bus on this.

Whether Jack has requested a trade or the team has decided to pursue one, the media is the one telling the stories. 

Just because Dreger says "it feels like" it's time for a change means it is? 

Those talking heads usually don't float those stories without someone feeding them the information.  The Sabres have already admitted they've taken offers.  Eichel might not straight away admit to it, but if his agent is out there pushing those talking heads to float the rumors then he's driving it.  We don't know.

My suspicion however is that Eichel's agent is doing just that.

• Like (+1) 1