Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I know you’re stating what YOU want but these packages just don’t exist. A fully healthy Jack who has been playing and playing well gets you that. This Jack gets you … maybe two of those pieces.

Tier 1 Assets:

2022 1st (Top 2 Protected), Drysdale, *(2023 1st (Top 2 Protected))*

Tier 2 Assets:

Perrault

*2023 2nd*

Tier 4 Assets/Cap Dumps

Henrique

The 2023 2nd would have some type of conditions on it related to Eichel's play. If Eichel bounces back fully, the Sabres get 3 Tier 1 assets that cannot be 1st or 2nd Overall in 2022/23, and a Tier 2 Asset along with taking on Henrique's contract.

If Eichel takes more time to get back Buffalo gets two Tier 1 pieces, again that can't be 1st/2nd Overall, two Tier 2 pieces along with taking on Henrique's contract.

Its akin to potentially getting 4 1sts for Eichel and taking on a 3x6+ mil contract.

I don't see that as unfair in the slightest.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Tier 1 Assets:

Tier 2 Assets:

Perrault

*2023 2nd*

Tier 4 Assets/Cap Dumps

Henrique

The 2023 2nd would have some type of conditions on it related to Eichel's play. If Eichel bounces back fully, the Sabres get 3 Tier 1 assets that cannot be 1st or 2nd Overall in 2022/23, and a Tier 2 Asset along with taking on Henrique's contract.

If Eichel takes more time to get back Buffalo gets two Tier 1 pieces, again that can't be 1st/2nd Overall, two Tier 2 pieces along with taking on Henrique's contract.

Its akin to potentially getting 4 1sts for Eichel and taking on a 3x6+ mil contract.

What’s fair and what’s real are definitely two different situations right now. I agree with you in that this is what it should cost to get Jack, but it’s not what it will take.

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Tier 1 Assets:

Tier 2 Assets:

Perrault

*2023 2nd*

Tier 4 Assets/Cap Dumps

Henrique

The deal is "fair" if you input it on EA Sports NHL but unfortunately the deal being "fair" isn't a prerequisite nor the concern of the opposing team when it comes to this trade

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Respectfully, I don't think this is realistic.

If he goes on LTIR, someone is paying him a non-insured $50MM.  If the plan is for the Sabres to be protected, that means that it's a different team that is paying the $50MM -- and has agreed to do so AFTER the ADR has failed and left Jack unable to play.  The only reason a team would do so, as you point out, would be for the cap space.

If a wealthy team would be willing to pay $10MM in cash per year x 5 years for nothing except cap space -- and I think there are maybe 2 or 3 teams in the NHL who would do this, and TB isn't one of them -- in order to create this cap space, they'd need to send $10MM per year in contracts back to the Sabres in exchange for Jack's $10MM in LTIR space.  So who would the Sabres get?  At that point, the Sabres would have zero leverage, since they'd be left with a broken Eichel.  They wouldn't get the other team's best prospects and rising star RFAs -- they'd get the other team's Okposo or Skinner.

Bottom line IMHO is that there is no way for the Sabres not to end up bearing the risk if they allow Jack to have the ADR while he is under contract with them.  For that matter, even if his contract is voided, the Sabres are still worse off than they are now in all scenarios other than a full recovery that is somehow demonstrably sustainable.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think what he’s getting at, and what was was hinted at in the Friedman piece was that some sort of one-time deal was struck where the NHL and NHLPA would break the logjam by collectively agreeing to take on (part? all?) of the risk.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm just relaying what I heard.

Friedman and Marek said the NHL has signed one-off deals from time to time that specifically state they cannot be used a precedent in any future case.

League sources seem to be more sympathetic to the situation than Sabrespace and perhaps more cognizant of PR, legal and future CBA costs an ugly standoff here could spark.

Couple that with more info about ADR and maybe some are thinking that a partnership underwriting the surgery is less risky than the alternative.

Just speculating.

Friedman mentioned that it’s His Belief Eichel is seeing more Neurosurgeons to prepare for a grievance filing. 

He was injured playing in a NHL Game.

He tried physical therapy and rehabilitation methods as agreed to Him and the Sabres. 

This failed and He it’s His Desire to get a particular procedure which is commonly performed in North America. 

It’s not an approved procedure by the NHL’s Disability Insurance, so the Sabres under Their Rights in the CBA are refusing 
to allow it.

The NHL and PA are working towards a resolution with Brisson talking to other teams. 
A carve out agreement would probably include some protection for the Sabres if the worse case scenario occurs. 

Regarding a trade to a team looking for increased Cap Space

If the trade happens during the offseason, teams are allowed to go 10% over the cap which would facilitate moving the deal without money coming back and place Jack on LTIR when the time comes. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Friedman and Marek said the NHL has signed one-off deals from time to time that specifically state they cannot be used a precedent in any future case.

Except that at some point in the future, some similar-but-not-quite-the-same situation will have people asking if they did it for Eichel, why not for this case?

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I know you’re stating what YOU want but these packages just don’t exist. A fully healthy Jack who has been playing and playing well gets you that. This Jack gets you … maybe two of those pieces.

…and one of those two is not Drysdale. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

If Terry is content with losing $12.5M for Jack to sit and rot for nothing, it seems reasonable (and even face saving) for Terry to retain $1-2M per year to facilitate a trade.

I see it the other way around.  If he's only paying $2.5 million per year for Jack to do nothing, why would he want to pay a million or two for him to do something for another team?

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I didn't say anyone was giddy he was injured.  I said people were giddy that our shiny toy wasn't.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

And here we are.

I read that wrong. Chill. I apologize.

Although … I do remember SOME fans happy he was injured. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I see it the other way around.  If he's only paying $2.5 million per year for Jack to do nothing, why would he want to pay a million or two for him to do something for another team?

Because he’ll get assets back to improve his team. Besides, money is money. It’s black and white, and $2.5M is more than $1-2M regardless where he’s playing. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Except that at some point in the future, some similar-but-not-quite-the-same situation will have people asking if they did it for Eichel, why not for this case?

Agreed. I don’t see this as a viable option. Everyone has a sob story and their agent will try to use it in the future. I also don’t see Jack as some vital piece to the NHL story that would necessitate them changing the whole CBA. 

34 minutes ago, freester said:

Ecklund says Eichel to St Louis. FWIW

😂😂😂

(E11)

20 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I also don’t see Jack as some vital piece to the NHL story that would necessitate them changing the whole CBA. 

And if he is, the Sabres will most certainly be the villain in the narrative.