Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not overly familiar with Emily or ESPN up here.

Credibility level?

Emily Kaplan is the Between the Glass Reporter for their National Broadcasts and when ESPN won the rights, She was mentioned as Their NHL Insider in same way Adam Schefter is with the NFL for ESPN( Think Friedman and Dreger) There  was speculation that Frank Servalli was originally leaving TSN for the same position. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Here’s the Segment Hoss was referring to.

I appreciate you posting this clip.  I had not heard it.  I would think though if 5 teams are heavily involved some sort of rumors with names would be leaked (not by the Sabres but by other teams).  The insiders have had very little content on Eichel trade talks all the way through this drama.

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Emily Kaplan is the Between the Glass Reporter for their National Broadcasts and when ESPN won the rights, She was mentioned as Their NHL Insider in same way Adam Schefter is with the NFL for ESPN( Think Friedman and Dreger) There  was speculation that Frank Servalli was originally leaving TSN for the same position. 

Hopefully she isn't running stories past NFL executives before reporting them a la Schefter.  Happens in broadcast news as well. 

Not assessing her talent or contacts, but "insiders" are carrying the water of their sources more frequently than we'd want.  

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Emily Kaplan said on ESPN’s new show The Point that an Eichel deal was nearly complete last Thursday but it fell through. She says there are five teams heavily involved.

If this was actually a leak by Brisson to keep his client in the public eye, he’s failed. It’s not his decision to make, but for a supposed “NHL insider”, it’s his job to seal the deal. Looks bad on him this wasn’t completed. 

12 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Hopefully she isn't running stories past NFL executives before reporting them a la Schefter.  Happens in broadcast news as well. 

Not assessing her talent or contacts, but "insiders" are carrying the water of their sources more frequently than we'd want.  

That's how they attain and then maintain those sources. 

It's certainly questionable journalism, but these "insiders" do the same thing with player agents...so it's not difficult to ascertain each report's "slant" based on who is portrayed favorably (player vs. team/league). 

2 hours ago, SabresVet said:

This is 100% the case. It's a regular practice. I don't think there's much wrong with running stories by a source to ensure what you're saying is accurate but the tone of what Schefter did/said is a much different situation. That felt so skeevy.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, Digger said:

I would think though if 5 teams are heavily involved some sort of rumors with names would be leaked (not by the Sabres but by other teams).

If that kind of information was leaked, a trade would be irreversibly imminent.  If a team is not yet ready to pull the trigger they aren't going to name names.  Think what it would do the the psyche of the players mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If that kind of information was leaked, a trade would be irreversibly imminent.  If a team is not yet ready to pull the trigger they aren't going to name names.  Think what it would do the the psyche of the players mentioned.

This is precisely correct. We’ve seen some names leak of players teams DON’T want to include and that’s likely just names the Sabres have asked for … but this isn’t fantasy sports. Guys aren’t just texting each other offers back and forth. Actual named offers are very rare in these negotiations.

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Good point but she was reporting that the trade was imminent on the Thursday and then died down on the Friday.  Names are leaked all the time with other NHL teams.  I love that the Sabres have kept things quiet and internal.  It shows that Adams has a good team that he can trust.  Other teams though?  My point was that if something was that close the insiders might have had more than just that (which is no news other than just mentioning Eichel in the headline).

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Vegas is still unwilling to add Krebs to the return for the Sabres 

That's disappointing.  I would love to have him on the Sabres.  But Vegas has quite a few injuries right now with Pacioretty, Stone, and Tuch and others.  Trading for an injured Eichel would hurt if they need to take anyone off the roster.  I know Krebs went down to the AHL for a game but he's back up now.