Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

That’s exactly the point (re: the bold). The scale is weighted so ridiculously that former coaches, teammates, accepted leaders like McCabe can come out with glowing comments on Jack but if we’re made aware of one guy who doesn’t like him, it’s “part of a larger puzzle”. 

Let’s just make sure to use all the pieces. The evidence here IMO doesn’t point to some sort of 50/50 split, either. The curve these guys have their character evaluated on though is quite steep. 

I agree with you.  And thanks for the quotes from Gionta.  Like every other person, I’m sure Eichel is a complicated combination of positive and negative qualities.

If I point out an instance of a teammate publicly criticizing Eichel, that doesn’t mean that I am trying to run down Eichel or anything, it’s just pointing out something real that happened.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Since we've now devolved into changing the title of other threads every time a new rumor goes down I'll plant this here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-state-rfa-market-training-camps-open/

I know there’s a craving for Jack Eichel information. One longtime executive said this week “this is the most complicated situation I’ve seen” during his professional existence. (He’s not involved, but, obviously, everyone’s talking about it.) This is what I’m expecting over the next few days: Eichel comes to camp, but does not pass his physical and is not cleared to play. I also think there’s a very good chance Buffalo removes his captaincy. What I don’t know is if they’ve settled the medical path. I heard there were some trade talks a couple of weeks ago, but I think people want to see what the doctors say. As you can expect, there is a ton of frustration. Eichel was hoping to be recovered from disc surgery by now, and, another player said not to underestimate what playing in the Olympics would mean to him. But the Sabres are unhappy too, with the promise of the “Eichel era” completely dissipated and hard feelings about how things fell apart. Really a shame for everyone involved.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

F Johnny and his desire to play in the Olympics.  His first allegiance is to the team that is paying him.  If the Olympics meant so much to him, then he should have had the ADR surgery months ago, and risked the Sabres voiding his contract.

Hmm GIF

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Since we've now devolved into changing the title of other threads every time a new rumor goes down I'll plant this here:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-state-rfa-market-training-camps-open/

Very interesting.

It is no more than cold comfort, if that, for this to be the most complicated player-personnel issue in recent NHL history.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Just gimme any kind of real news today. The organization needs resolution on this to move forward.

It will go something like this “Jack has failed his physical and we are in discussions with Jack, his agent, and our doctors to determine the next step”.

In other words, same old same old. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Are they going to stream Eichel’s physical live on Sabres.com?😜

"Now turn your head and cough, John."

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

the key thing is the fanbase needs resolution on this to move forward.

Winning is all the resolution I need.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

"Now turn your head and cough, John."

Winning is all the resolution I need.

It's all the resolution I, or anyone, needs too - but a big factor in why there's no resolution on Jack is because they are not resolved to win any time soon, either. KA *can* take his time for as long as he wants because there are zero expectations organizationally for next season (s)

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Good.  low expectations.  Historically when this team has thrived it has done so from the position of an underdog. 

If we are a winning team this coming season, it'll definitely be an underdog story for the ages, I agree on that 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's all the resolution I, or anyone, needs too - but a big factor in why there's no resolution on Jack is because they are not resolved to win any time soon, either. KA *can* take his time for as long as he wants because there are zero expectations organizationally for next season (s)

Thorny,I agree. But at the same time we were a bottom team with these same guys. Eichel, Rhisto and Rhino were part of the losing. The problem it would seem is not building around them. Obviously the decision makers chose to start over fresh and build from the ground  up. My hunch is it was a choice made for them because Jack is unhappy here and Rhino wanted out. The franchise has been poorly operated and they're paying the price for it. I don't hold KA responsible for any of this. Whether he can get the job done and do it free of Pegula interference is questionable but right now KA is working with the hand dealt him. I do question his decisions on goalkeeper.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Radar said:

Thorny,I agree. But at the same time we were a bottom team with these same guys. Eichel, Rhisto and Rhino were part of the losing. The problem it would seem is not building around them. Obviously the decision makers chose to start over fresh and build from the ground  up. My hunch is it was a choice made for them because Jack is unhappy here and Rhino wanted out. The franchise has been poorly operated and they're paying the price for it. I don't hold KA responsible for any of this. Whether he can get the job done and do it free of Pegula interference is questionable but right now KA is working with the hand dealt him. I do question his decisions on goalkeeper.

Fair enough, thanks for your breakdown