Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I think the Sabres may need to take on a contract like Gibson's to justify the unknown regarding Eichel

I don’t think they need to take on a contract THAT bad to make this deal. They’re going to have to take on money but $6.4M per year for six years is not that.

A 28 year old goalie makes no sense for this team right now and I imagine Gibson would take issue with it.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We would definitely be bottom 5 with Gibson. He's got a .904 and .903 sv% the last 2 seasons. 

I would still take a flyer on him as a cap dump coming back, but not as main piece in a trade like the ducks might be selling him. I do think the ducks want him gone and he wants to leave.

you want us take him on, you give us that extra 1st rounder or drysdale/Zegras because he is a much bigger gamble than a healthy Jack. But I do believe he can rebound easy after 2 bad seasons with a good goalie coach.

Edited by Huckleberry

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I would still take a flyer on him as a cap dump coming back, but not as main piece in a trade like the ducks might be selling him. I do think the ducks want him gone and he wants to leave.

you want us take him on, you give us that extra 1st rounder or drysdale/Zegras because he is a much bigger gamble than a healthy Jack. But I do believe he can rebound easy after 2 bad seasons with a good goalie coach.

I personally do not believe he will rebound for more than 1 more season. He is signed for 6 more years. Hard pass. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally do not believe he will rebound for more than 1 more season. He is signed for 6 more years. Hard pass. 

we still need cap back and to be honest I don't see much better coming up from our system and I do see him rebound easy with some good defenders before him.

Power / Dahlin / drysdale / Joker / samuelson / bryson / miller might give you a good combo for him.

Gibson is severely underrated on this board.    He's probably gonna be USA's starter in Beijing.   

The defense in front of him on the Ducks is absolutely trash.      He makes highlight reel saves just about every game, he'd be a huge upgrade over Ullmark IMO.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

we still need cap back and to be honest I don't see much better coming up from our system and I do see him rebound easy with some good defenders before him.

Power / Dahlin / drysdale / Joker / samuelson / bryson / miller might give you a good combo for him.

Devon Levi and Erik Portillo would disagree

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Gibson is severely underrated on this board.    He's probably gonna be USA's starter in Beijing.   

The defense in front of him on the Ducks is absolutely trash.      He makes highlight reel saves just about every game, he'd be a huge upgrade over Ullmark IMO.

Gibson: 

2019 - .904sv%

2020 - .903sv%

Ullmark:

2019 - .915sv%

2020 - .917sv%

Not according to the last 2 years and Ullmark played on the worst team in the league last season. 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Gibson is proven in the NHL and to be honest I would take 1st round pick less coming back for him in an Eichel trade.   I see him as a cross between hasek and miller.

He is signed for 6 more years, this isn't hey we get Gibson for 2-3 years whatever, that is 6 years of BIG money tied up in a declining goalie. It would be a colossal mistake by Adams to saddle us with that dead weight. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Gibson: 

2019 - .904sv%

2020 - .903sv%

Ullmark:

2019 - .915sv%

2020 - .917sv%

Not according to the last 2 years and Ullmark played on the worst team in the league last season. 

He is signed for 6 more years, this isn't hey we get Gibson for 2-3 years whatever, that is 6 years of BIG money tied up in a declining goalie. It would be a colossal mistake by Adams to saddle us with that dead weight. 

Both played on bottom 5 teams last 2 years  but Gibson played 60% of the games and not below .090sv%, yeah I will take him over Ullmark right now and I love the potential of a healhty Linus but i just don't see after all those years and all the injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Both played on bottom 5 teams last 2 years  but Gibson played 60% of the games and not below .090sv%, yeah I will take him over Ullmark right now and I love the potential of a healhty Linus but i just don't see after all those years and all the injuries.

The best ability is availability. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

At this point I say let him have his surgery. If it doesn’t work for NHLers. the Sabres medical staff looks wise, Eichel looks like a fool and retires and although we lose the asset; we don’t get screwed by trading him for garbage. 

Honestly, I’d rather have Eichel, a king’s ransom, or Eichel retiring than an awful ROR trade sequel we’d be laughed at for years to come. 

Why trade him for garbage when we could end his career for nothing.

Seriously, the goal here should not be to look smart and Jack looks dumb.  Who cares?

You are constantly so hung up on making sure that other people don’t laugh at you for being a Sabres fan.  How about the Sabres just get some good assets for Eichel, win some games, then no one will laugh at you.

Until the Sabres stop sucking for 10 consecutive years, your friends will still laugh at you, even if Eichel retires.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally think Gibson is an upper echelon goalie who has slipped into a mid-career funk on a bad team.

I think he has several more good years in him and will still be a good starter in six years when he is 34.

I hope Anaheim has soured on him and is willing to trade him as a cap dump.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Gibson: 

2019 - .904sv%

2020 - .903sv%

Ullmark:

2019 - .915sv%

2020 - .917sv%

Buy low 😤

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why trade him for garbage when we could end his career for nothing.

Seriously, the goal here should not be to look smart and Jack looks dumb.  Who cares?

You are constantly so hung up on making sure that other people don’t laugh at you for being a Sabres fan.  How about the Sabres just get some good assets for Eichel, win some games, then no one will laugh at you.

Until the Sabres stop sucking for 10 consecutive years, your friends will still laugh at you, even if Eichel retires.

There's the key in this.

I refuse to take a ROR deal where we get utterly humiliated.

Give us great assets or no assets.  I'm not going to settle for garbage.

• Like (+1) 3

I would be intrigued with Gibson as a 1B had we kept Ullmark as 1A. 

Add in Zegras and toss in a good prospect or pick and goodbye Jack.  I think we could have been fun to watch and just a few players away assuming Zegras comes along.  

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

There's the key in this.

I refuse to take a ROR deal where we get utterly humiliated.

Give us great assets or no assets.  I'm not going to settle for garbage.

Yeah, I don’t want a trash trade either.  In fact, I refuse to take a trash trade too!  I refuse to settle for it!  There, that should do the trick.

No one here has wants the Sabres to make a bad trade.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Buy low 😤

There’s no buying low on a guy with that contract. You’re paying a premium one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would be intrigued with Gibson as a 1B had we kept Ullmark as 1A. 

Add in Zegras and toss in a good prospect or pick and goodbye Jack.  I think we could have been fun to watch and just a few players away assuming Zegras comes along.  

Teams aren’t paying $6.4M for a 1B.

It should also be noted that Gibson has a modified no trade clause.

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am intrigued by this Gibson talk.

As for Ullmark, is his save % influenced by the low event hockey being played by the team in front of him?

I’m wondering if there are some #fancystats that could shed light on the matter.

Gibson has played 86 games the past two seasons. 

Ullmark 54.   

Over the past 2 seasons, ANA has given up the 4th most high danger chances against, 718.

BUF has give up 600, good for 24th most.

Would love to see him get a fresh start in the blue and gold.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There’s no buying low on a guy with that contract. You’re paying a premium one way or the other.

Teams aren’t paying $6.4M for a 1B.

It should also be noted that Gibson has a modified no trade clause.

Two years at $6.4M is a salary dump for them since they are taking on $10M. 

that trade is not happening anyway.