Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As opposed to what massive return earlier?

Exactly. IMO...there never was a massive trade offer.  If so, he would have been traded by now. 

Broken Jack is the biggest reason why he is still a Sabre...he is still broken. 😱

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Exactly. IMO...there never was a massive trade offer.  If so, he would have been traded by now. 

Broken Jack is the biggest reason why he is still a Sabre...he is still broken. 😱

his health is improving 👀

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Then you don't trade him ?  the Duchene trade took more than a year and an extra team to get done.   And people think we will sell him for less than Duchene ? 

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Since Anaheim has historically been a budget-minded team, I think they are highly unlikely to take the economic risk on Eichel's injury without first seeing him playing NHL games at full throttle again.

Personally I think it's more that GM Bob Murray is a pretty conservative GM.  He does well with making trades with his own players in staying patient to get the best return and is trying to wait out Kevin Adams.  I'm also sure he wants to try and keep Zegras if he can too.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Since Anaheim has historically been a budget-minded team, I think they are highly unlikely to take the economic risk on Eichel's injury without first seeing him playing NHL games at full throttle again.

That's fine but Jack playing healthy NHL games makes the price go up.  Not what said team is uncomfortable with now,  then you get him for that.

Edited by 7+6=13
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

That's fine but Jack playing healthy NHL games makes the price go up.  Not what said team is uncomfortable with now,  then you get him for that.

I agree that the price will go up and I sure hope that happens.  One of the difficult issues of course is that it's pretty hard to see Eichel playing games again for the Sabres to get us to that point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that the price will go up and I sure hope that happens.  One of the difficult issues of course is that it's pretty hard to see Eichel playing games again for the Sabres to get us to that point.

Only because some think that has to happen before this years trade deadline.  It doesn't.  

I know everyone wants to bag on KA because of all the stupid things previous GM's have done, but that doesn't make it true.  We don't know he's going to handle this badly and he doesn't have to.  

We're in total control and we'll trade him when the offer is good for the Sabres.  He's not going anywhere on a terrible trade, IMO.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Digger said:

Personally I think it's more that GM Bob Murray is a pretty conservative GM.  He does well with making trades with his own players in staying patient to get the best return and is trying to wait out Kevin Adams.  I'm also sure he wants to try and keep Zegras if he can too.

He's not waiting out KA.  He just hasn't offered enough for the Sabres to pull the trigger.  If he does he'll get Jack and if he wants healthy Jack, he'll pay more than today's price.  Personally I think KA is trying to punk him.  

7 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Only because some think that has to happen before this years trade deadline.  It doesn't.  

I know everyone wants to bag on KA because of all the stupid things previous GM's have done, but that doesn't make it true.  We don't know he's going to handle this badly and he doesn't have to.  

We're in total control and we'll trade him when the offer is good for the Sabres.  He's not going anywhere on a terrible trade, IMO.

I agree with most of this, but as I've said previously, I think the most likely outcome -- not certain, but most likely by a plurality -- is that KA unloads Eichel just before the season starts for the best deal he can get at that time -- which will be a crappy deal for the Sabres.  I hope I'm wrong about that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Not necessarily. If the Sabres aren't willing to let their asset to go for less than what they have him valued at then Jack is smart enough to recognize that his doorway to getting out of here is to demonstrate to the his potential suitors that he is back to his old form. And that means for the organization and him to get what they want he will have to play.  If he gets the fusion surgery he might not play at all this season. If he gets the surgery that he wants he might not play until the second half or later this season. It wouldn't be surprising that a full season will pass before Jack will be able to show on the ice what he is capable of. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Then you don't trade him ?  the Duchene trade took more than a year and an extra team to get done.   And people think we will sell him for less than Duchene ? 

Was Duchene “broken” at the time they were attempting to trade him?

KA has two choices...sell him now for pennies on the dollar(i.e.  forget about Zegras, Boldy, Rossi, Krebs, Byfield, etc...), or hold onto him, resolve the surgery dispute, and trade him when healthy.  

IMO...I don’t care anymore.  Eichel is not going to be a Sabre going forward.  Trade him now or trade him later.  Just can’t get too worked up about it. 

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with most of this, but as I've said previously, I think the most likely outcome -- not certain, but most likely by a plurality -- is that KA unloads Eichel just before the season starts for the best deal he can get at that time -- which will be a crappy deal for the Sabres.  I hope I'm wrong about that.

I just can't find any reason why he would do that.  We're in perfect position with where the team is, to be in absolutely no hurry.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

As in the offer we received / was in discussion 6 weeks ago will have been better than the current offers in discussion.

sadly because Eichel is our captain, this can’t just be put aside and have him represent the city whilst wanting out

How do you know what "offer we received / was in discussion 6 weeks ago" aside from speculation?

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's my point.  We don't know if any team has made any kind of an offer for Jack, let alone a good one.

I don't mean this argumentatively but we also don't know if there's been offers and all of us would be like - dang I would have taken that.  We just automatically dump on our GM and owners.  The owners of course have earned the criticism but KA hasn't... yet.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking we can come out on the good side of the Eichel situation.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

So, hypothetically speaking, let's say Jack plays 15-20 games to show people he's healthy.

What happens if he scores 10-15 points and the Sabres go 11-4 or 14-6.

Does that change anything on either side? 

No.  He isn’t staying and the organization has made their position clear.   He will be traded when the Sabres feel they are getting fair value. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

How do you know what "offer we received / was in discussion 6 weeks ago" aside from speculation?

My point is that in comparison to whatever teams were willing to over 6 weeks ago, I think the current offers will be worse. Now maybe the best offer anyone ever put on the table was a late second round pick for Jack - now it will be a third rounder.

Second point, that everyone knows the Sabres can't start the season with Jack on the team - it will be too toxic and set the mood wrong from the start, of what will likely be the worse season in Sabres history.

Third point, as a result I think the Sabres are between a rock and a hard place. No offer was good enough to trade Jack 6 weeks ago. But I think the current offers will be worse (because of point two, and the fact Jack will now miss nearly half a season). Therefore, the Sabres have overplayed their hand and we will get a low return for Jack.

18 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

My point is that in comparison to whatever teams were willing to over 6 weeks ago, I think the current offers will be worse. Now maybe the best offer anyone ever put on the table was a late second round pick for Jack - now it will be a third rounder.

Second point, that everyone knows the Sabres can't start the season with Jack on the team - it will be too toxic and set the mood wrong from the start, of what will likely be the worse season in Sabres history.

Third point, as a result I think the Sabres are between a rock and a hard place. No offer was good enough to trade Jack 6 weeks ago. But I think the current offers will be worse (because of point two, and the fact Jack will now miss nearly half a season). Therefore, the Sabres have overplayed their hand and we will get a low return for Jack.

Jack is certainly not starting the season on any roster at this point.  It's very unlikely that he'll be recovered enough to play whichever surgery he gets at this point.  The longer the continued delay on the surgery, the longer it will be until he is back on the ice.  That said, I'm actually of the belief he'll have to return and play for the Sabres before anyone will make a legit offer for him.  This is speculation on my part, but it seems to fit the facts as we know them right now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

So, hypothetically speaking, let's say Jack plays 15-20 games to show people he's healthy.

What happens if he scores 10-15 points and the Sabres go 11-4 or 14-6.

Does that change anything on either side? 

Best possible scenario for us to sell high. I would increase our asking price in the trade and let other GMs decide if Jack wants to stay a Sabre given our new demands.