Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This whole emoji thing says a lot more, at least to me, then if Jackie actually spoke words.

It is NOT a meh emoji.  It's NOT a sad emoji.  I think all these emoji things are kind of dumb.

That said, Jackie was very deliberate in choosing which emoji he used ... unamuzed.  Again, to me, that speaks volumns.

I was firmly in the keep little Johnny and patch things up.  Now I want him out of here on the first train.  At this point I just don't care what the Sabres get back.  I would sweeten the deal just to have some team take this jackass off our hands ........ not really, but I don't care much for what is coming back.  Just get the best deal you can KA and be done with it.

I know it's dumb to react this way to a stupid emoji, but it's the last straw.

The emoji is not important, there other much more tangible things that have happened that got us here.  Some of them are mistakes the Sabres made that need to be understood and fixed.  The Sabres have no control over the personality of Jack.  

Adams needs to keep a lid on emotional decisions and strive for best value in a trade.  Until then Jack can be “unamused” while sitting on IR.  

• Like (+1) 1

What really sucks is that no matter what, the team this season is going to be absolute crap; the the normal getting amped up for training camp and the beginning of the season is missing. Sure, we can be slightly excited to see some of the kids a bit, but there isn't much taking away from this Eichel saga. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What really sucks is that no matter what, the team this season is going to be absolute crap; the the normal getting amped up for training camp and the beginning of the season is missing. Sure, we can be slightly excited to see some of the kids a bit, but there isn't much taking away from this Eichel saga. 

If the drama ended today and they got a top six player, a ready to go prospect, a goalie plus a future piece I think our anticipation of camp would be heightened.

Not because of the possibility of having a solid team but the glimmer of hope that the youth movement  will grow into a team that we can embrace.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Prove that statement. Please. Show us how you know this. Seems more likely Eichel’s agents are trying to get him moved.  Adams said “teams” have talked to him about “players” at the time of the Eichel/Rangers rumors.  

And yes, the Sabres organization has become a joke.  We know that.  

I know it from reading articles that the Sabres were listening to other teams asking about him. If you weren't interested in possibly trading, you don't even engage.  How serious the talks were, i don't know. 

Just now, klos1963 said:

I know it from reading articles that the Sabres were listening to other teams asking about him. If you weren't interested in possibly trading, you don't even engage.  How serious the talks were, i don't know. 

Can you post a link to those articles?  Please and thank you.

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Thank you. So tired of posters saying definitive statements when they have no definitive facts to back it up. Don't need to do that to emphasize what we already know about this franchise.

"the sabres apparently have been looking to trade him for 2 seasons now" This was my statement. I think you need to look in Websters dictionary to learn what 'apparently" means and what 'definitive' means. They are very different.   I based my comment on what I've read, I can't prove it is true, hence, apparently(as far as I know)

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Can you post a link to those articles?  Please and thank you.

https://www.si.com/hockey/the-hockey-news/the-jack-eichel-era-is-heading-toward-a-cliff-in-buffalo

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/the-instigators-20259/02-18-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman-357325363

Don't act like nobody here heard any of these stories about teams looking to trade for Eichel before last season. I've read more, you can use The Google if you are really interested. While you read these articles, notice he is referred to as Jack, not John.

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

"the sabres apparently have been looking to trade him for 2 seasons now" This was my statement. I think you need to look in Websters dictionary to learn what 'apparently" means and what 'definitive' means. They are very different.   I based my comment on what I've read, I can't prove it is true, hence, apparently(as far as I know)

I have an understanding of the meaning of apparently. Further I'm sorry if you took my post as aimed at you. Notice I said posters. I can't count the trades the Sabres could have made ect. ect. I stand by my statement "posters".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

https://www.si.com/hockey/the-hockey-news/the-jack-eichel-era-is-heading-toward-a-cliff-in-buffalo

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/the-instigators-20259/02-18-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman-357325363

Don't act like nobody here heard any of these stories about teams looking to trade for Eichel before last season. I've read more, you can use The Google if you are really interested. While you read these articles, notice he is referred to as Jack, not John.

Thanks.

Nothing very exciting, or noteworthy, in those.  It's no secret that Jack was frustrated.  The team and fans are pretty frustrated with him now too, but the problems can't be put on him.  I think it's par for the course that if other teams know that so and so is frustrated you inquire.  I don't think trade talks had gone very far back then and it seems that they are not very far along even now.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point I doubt we can get much for him. It will be another disaster along the lines of the ROR trade. We will hand Eichel to somebody for a first round and couple of mid level prospects. That’s all he’s worth right now. He will most likely get healthy and turn into 100 point producer somewhere eventually in a couple of years. At this point it’s toxic. Just another disaster in Sabres history. Hopefully we hit on a couple of these studs in the next few drafts and eventually turn this thing around because this current roster is scary bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Two questions?  

1.  Why were teams calling about a guy that is locked up for, at the time, 6 years?   Could it be Eichel’s agents working it.  Adams said he wasn’t shopping him, he said teams called him, and he listens and talks.  That is the only data we have. 

2. Why not engage?   Unless he wants to alienate the Sabres from the rest of the league he pretty much has to take the incoming phone calls from his peers and establish a relationship.  That is part of his job.  It’s naive to think that Adams, a first time GM, will refuse to take other GMs phone calls. 

As I already stated, the Sabres have themselves to blame for the past 10 years of dysfunction.  The teams record and it’s reputation lies at the feet of Terry and Kim.   Eichel wants out.  He is accountable for his reactions.  The silly emoji is nothing more than a childish way of expressing himself.  No one important in the league cares about it.  

• Like (+1) 1

This thread has served me one good thing.  I am now a First Line Poster on Sabrespace.  

I don't know what that actually means but I’ll use it to my advantage when contract negotiations come up.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Two questions?  

1.  Why were teams calling about a guy that is locked up for, at the time, 6 years?   Could it be Eichel’s agents working it.  Adams said he wasn’t shopping him, he said teams called him, and he listens and talks.  That is the only data we have. 

2. Why not engage?   Unless he wants to alienate the Sabres from the rest of the league he pretty much has to take the incoming phone calls from his peers and establish a relationship.  That is part of his job.  It’s naive to think that Adams, a first time GM, will refuse to take other GMs phone calls. 

As I already stated, the Sabres have themselves to blame for the past 10 years of dysfunction.  The teams record and it’s reputation lies at the feet of Terry and Kim.   Eichel wants out.  He is accountable for his reactions.  The silly emoji is nothing more than a childish way of expressing himself.  No one important in the league cares about it.  

I meant specifically about Eichel, not in general. If someone called Beane about Allen, after he stopped laughing, should Beane discuss what it may take to get Allen, even hypothetically? Of course not.

Just now, Pimlach said:

This thread has served me one good thing.  I am now a First Line Poster on Sabrespace.  

I don't know what that actually means but I’ll use it to my advantage when contract negotiations come up.  

Be careful about using an emoji during negotiations.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

All it means is that you have had a lot to say.  That ranking system is based entirely on the number of post.  So, it's a quantity thing and not a quality thing.

Not saying  that your quality is not there too, but in this case quantity is not always a great contact negotiation tool.

And once you get up to 20K in posts they stick you in the SabreSpace HOF, no matter if only a handful of the posts are any good.  I am getting close to 20K and you all will be invited to my HOF enshrinement party.  Does not matter that I could count on one hand the posts of that 20K that were any good atoll.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I’m interpreting this (we’re all reading tea leaves) as a shot across the bow to remind KA that he is not a happy camper, and that he is public about that fact. Again, Jack is a head case and is a locker room problem at this point. I don’t wish any ill will on him, but I will not be rooting for him the rest of his career after he goes. 

To those who say that this may not even be hockey related.. come on. He is not stupid, he knows everyone is watching every social media post he makes. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I agree to a cetain extent.  To me, this Eichel saga is taking away from anything else that might be enjoyable.

The team may be awful, they might finish last again, but I CAN take some joy out of the season if we see the young kids play and hopefully get better as the season goes along.  It isn't much to look forward to as a fan, but it is something I can get into.  Just hearing about the Eichel stuff, having it dominate this forum, and having it hang over the franchise like a dark cloud.....its awful. I hate it. I just want a resolution, for this to be over and for everyone to move on.

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe someone tight to the cap will eventually start thinking more about Eichel as the season goes on, so they can try to do a Tampa Bay type thing with him.....meaning spend all they can on the cap this year to put the best team together, then add Eichel during the season but have him rehab and be on Long term IR....only to have him get close to 100% as the playoffs approach, start practicing with the team....and then having him ready to go for the playoffs as a 'bonus' $10 million dollar guy just for the cup run.

Not sure who might qualify as a team, but maybe there is someone out there like that.

30 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe someone tight to the cap will eventually start thinking more about Eichel as the season goes on, so they can try to do a Tampa Bay type thing with him.....meaning spend all they can on the cap this year to put the best team together, then add Eichel during the season but have him rehab and be on Long term IR....only to have him get close to 100% as the playoffs approach, start practicing with the team....and then having him ready to go for the playoffs as a 'bonus' $10 million dollar guy just for the cup run.

Not sure who might qualify as a team, but maybe there is someone out there like that.

I’m sure someone has thought of this but it may need a media push of some sort to get all teams thinking about it. The NHL would seriously consider closing this workaround if it happened and the acquiring team went deep into the playoffs.

Can we call it being Kucheroved?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Curt said:

The NHL is not owned and operated as Gary Bettman sees fit.  The NHL is owned by the owners, and they approve league decisions.  They employ Bettman.

I doubt many owners would be ok with Bettman taking steps to push a star player to a big market.

You seem to be taking what I said in a very black-and-white, all-or-nothing, blatant type of way.

This is not about "pushing a star player to a big market"—this is about making sure a star player gets on the ice as soon as he can, in whatever situation allows that to happen. And, actually, all owners benefit from this.

Edited by erickompositör72

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

All it means is that you have had a lot to say.  That ranking system is based entirely on the number of post.  So, it's a quantity thing and not a quality thing.

Not saying  that your quality is not there too, but in this case quantity is not always a great contact negotiation tool.

And once you get up to 20K in posts they stick you in the SabreSpace HOF, no matter if only a handful of the posts are any good.  I am getting close to 20K and you all will be invited to my HOF enshrinement party.  Does not matter that I could count on one hand the posts of that 20K that were any good atoll.

Well, I’ve worked hard to get to the first line.  With the Eichel trade inevitable, I move up to 1C. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This whole emoji thing says a lot more, at least to me, then if Jackie actually spoke words.

It is NOT a meh emoji.  It's NOT a sad emoji.  I think all these emoji things are kind of dumb.

That said, Jackie was very deliberate in choosing which emoji he used ... unamuzed.  Again, to me, that speaks volumns.

I was firmly in the keep little Johnny and patch things up.  Now I want him out of here on the first train.  At this point I just don't care what the Sabres get back.  I would sweeten the deal just to have some team take this jackass off our hands ........ not really, but I don't care much for what is coming back.  Just get the best deal you can KA and be done with it.

I know it's dumb to react this way to a stupid emoji, but it's the last straw.

I’ve wanted him out for over a month now but I think it’s mostly because I saw this very emoji coming if he wasn’t.

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, klos1963 said:

because his behavior hasn't been that bad. He hasn't said anything publicly since the end of season, the sabres apparently have been looking to trade him for 2 seasons now and they're having a disagreement on treatment. Oh and the Sabres organization sucks.  He certainly isn't trying to look good, but he's been quiet. The Sabres have messed up everything they've touched for 10 years now. I blame them for everything.

It's a frickin sad emoji face. Be serious.

That's the laziest excuse. "Jack can act like an ass because the Sabres blah blah blah..."

13 hours ago, Curt said:

The NHL is not owned and operated as Gary Bettman sees fit.  The NHL is owned by the owners, and they approve league decisions.  They employ Bettman.

I doubt many owners would be ok with Bettman taking steps to push a star player to a big market.

Ideally, no.