Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Just a thought.... but the longer this drags on with no news from either side, I believe the less likely it is that he actually needs surgery.

KA mentioned he'd have no problem with Jack being at camp.   

How could he confidently say that if the medical staff has come to the conclusion that surgery is required?

If he absolutely needs surgery why wouldn't he have filed a medical grievance by now?   A 2 month recovery from today would mean he misses the start of the season.

They're waiting to see how the pressure campaign works first.

17 hours ago, pi2000 said:

"regular old Fluery" just won the Vezina.    IMO he's a franchise goalie, and he was traded.    That's my point.... franchise goalies can be had via trade.   Nothing to do with generational level talent.

As I said, you can count them on one hand. If not a shop teacher's hand. Vasilevskiy? Sure. Who's next, Hellebuyck? I wouldn't trade him for Helle. 

Well I might now. But not back when this conversation started months ago. 

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Jack wants out bad enough he should just go and get the surgery.   It would violate his contract but what is the worst the Sabres could do to him, void his contract?  Ask for some bonus to be returned?  From Jack’s point of view that would be a win.  He becomes a FA, he gets the surgery he wants and the Sabres get nothing for him.

Again -- you keep saying this, but there is no change in the underlying facts.  If Eichel gets the new surgery without the Sabres' approval and it doesn't work, he's lost $50MM.  He's not going to take that risk -- at least not anytime soon, and definitely not this summer.  He wants either the Sabres or whoever trades for him to take the risk.

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Why hasn’t Jack exercised His Right to take the Sabres to Medical Arbitration as He can do per the CBA? 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Just a thought.... but the longer this drags on with no news from either side, I believe the less likely it is that he actually needs surgery.

KA mentioned he'd have no problem with Jack being at camp.   

How could he confidently say that if the medical staff has come to the conclusion that surgery is required?

If he absolutely needs surgery why wouldn't he have filed a medical grievance by now?   A 2 month recovery from today would mean he misses the start of the season.

My guess is that he thinks it's pretty likely that the arbitrator would say he can have the standard fusion surgery but not the disk replacement surgery, and he wants the disk replacement surgery -- and once the arbitrator issues that ruling, Jack's position in arguing for the disk replacement is much weaker.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Jack wants out bad enough he should just go and get the surgery.   It would violate his contract but what is the worst the Sabres could do to him, void his contract?  Ask for some bonus to be returned?  From Jack’s point of view that would be a win.  He becomes a FA, he gets the surgery he wants and the Sabres get nothing for him.

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Again -- you keep saying this, but there is no change in the underlying facts.  If Eichel gets the new surgery without the Sabres' approval and it doesn't work, he's lost $50MM.  He's not going to take that risk -- at least not anytime soon, and definitely not this summer.  He wants either the Sabres or whoever trades for him to take the risk.

My guess is that he thinks it's pretty likely that the arbitrator would say he can have the standard fusion surgery but not the disk replacement surgery, and he wants the disk replacement surgery -- and once the arbitrator issues that ruling, Jack's position in arguing for the disk replacement is much weaker.

I've only said this once, but did you read my post?  "If Jack wants out bad enough"    This is Jack's nuclear option.  If he takes it, yes he'll likely lose all the guarantees and that is my point.  However it gives him full control of the situation going forward.  Right now he wants his cake and to eat it to.  He wants him money, his surgery and a trade and so far he and his agent are doing everything to make it impossible to accomplish.  They know the Sabres have an insurance policy on his contract.   At this point it seems to me that Jack is trying to screw the team.  Well F-him.  Stay strong KA.  

• Like (+1) 2

Things that are thought to be true:

• Calgary wants Eichel and wants to ditch Tkachuk.
  • The Blues want Tkachuk and want to ditch Tarasenko
  • The Sabres want to ditch Eichel and they have a ton of cap space.
  • Tarasenko is pretty much worthless at his current contract

Why not a three-way trade:

• Flames trade Tkachuk, Pelletier and a 1st and get Eichel and 2nd
  • Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko
  • Blues trade Thomas, Tarasenko and a 1st and get Tkachuk

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

• Like (+1) 7

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Sabres trade Eichel and a 2nd and get Pelletier, Thomas, 2 1sts, and the rights to Tarasenko

Sabres would then retain salary on Tarasenko (who has an NMC) and flip him for more futures

Any traction?

Y'know.... that's not bad. Potential to flip tarasenko for another first+ too would be appealing. You need to get on the phone to KA!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Any traction?

This is not going to happen. Until Jack's injury status is clarified I don't see any meaningful offers being made for him. Ask yourself why no team in the league (so far) has offered one of their top tier center prospects or young centers currently in a trade package for him? The clock is ticking. Assuming he gets a fusion surgery the recovery time is four months. That's how long it will take for the treated area to solidify. On top of that because of the nature of his surgery he won't be able to be physically active during his rehab. That means his conditioning will take another month or two to reach a level that will allow him to play. 

I want to be wrong on my prediction about when he will be able to play again. I just don't see him back on the ice this year. And witnessing the responses from other teams in making offers they don't seem to be willing to risk any of their valuable assets for a health gamble on another player. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Any traction?

I would say this: Not sure if this specifically this will get done, but a 3 way trade for Buffalo IMO seems to be the best course of action to satisfy what KA will want in a return, even if that means giving up a 2nd rounder: Since about only 20% of 2nd round picks play even over 100 career NHL games , I would be willing to do that all day to get what the Sabres want to get.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Any traction?

From the speculations I’ve read, CAL doesn’t want to get rid of Tkachuk, it’s Monahan that they’d want to part with. 
🤷‍♂️

The pre-injury Tarasenko was an elite first-line RW who was also one of the most exciting players in the NHL.  But he's played 24 games and 10 games in the last 2 seasons, has a possibly permanently damaged shoulder.  He's got 2 years left on his contract at $9.5MM per year.

It won't happen, but Thomas, who is a pretty solid young center, and a healed Tarasenko with something to prove and showing the way to the young Russians coming up in the system, plus picks would be a great return for Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Any traction?

It seems as though the Blues have no takers for Tarasenko right now, might be a bad move for the Sabres to pick him up with intentions of trading him later. So many are worried about Jacks' NMC , why take on another , potentially worse contract with a NMC?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

This is not going to happen. Until Jack's injury status is clarified I don't see any meaningful offers being made for him. Ask yourself why no team in the league (so far) has offered one of their top tier center prospects or young centers currently in a trade package for him? The clock is ticking. Assuming he gets a fusion surgery the recovery time is four months. That's how long it will take for the treated area to solidify. On top of that because of the nature of his surgery he won't be able to be physically active during his rehab. That means his conditioning will take another month or two to reach a level that will allow him to play. 

I want to be wrong on my prediction about when he will be able to play again. I just don't see him back on the ice this year. And witnessing the responses from other teams in making offers they don't seem to be willing to risk any of their valuable assets for a health gamble on another player. 

With respect, if your position is Jack doesn't get traded until he's proven healthy, you should probably stay away from this thread until he's proven healthy.

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

From the speculations I’ve read, CAL doesn’t want to get rid of Tkachuk, it’s Monahan that they’d want to part with. 
🤷‍♂️

They aren't broadcasting it, but Calgary and Tkachuk are done with each other.

He's accepting his huge QA next year and going to UFA to the team of his choice after. Unless he's moved to a team he likes first.

Not many teams will take the risk, but St. Louis is one, reportedly because it's a place he wants to be.

We are talking three teams here with assets that — for various reasons — are tougher to move than their history indicates they should be. That's why the deal might make sense.

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The pre-injury Tarasenko was an elite first-line RW who was also one of the most exciting players in the NHL.  But he's played 24 games and 10 games in the last 2 seasons, has a possibly permanently damaged shoulder.  He's got 2 years left on his contract at $9.5MM per year.

It won't happen, but Thomas, who is a pretty solid young center, and a healed Tarasenko with something to prove and showing the way to the young Russians coming up in the system, plus picks would be a great return for Eichel.

10 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

It seems as though the Blues have no takers for Tarasenko right now, might be a bad move for the Sabres to pick him up with intentions of trading him later. So many are worried about Jacks' NMC , why take on another , potentially worse contract with a NMC?

Tarasenko is very much on the market right now.

He's done with the Blues over perceived poor treatment of his injury, and they are done with him over his return on investment. He's essentially available as a cap dump, but the expansion draft showed you can't give him away after his past few years.

No team in the league is willing to take him on at full value, but at $5 million he may have some appeal.

I doubt Tarasenko waives to play for the Sabres, or that the Sabres want him to play for the Sabres, but he may waive if he knows he's going to be immediately flipped to a more attractive destination, which, of course, would have to be worked out in advance.

Given Tarasenko's negative value, maybe it's the Blues who should be adding a sweetener to the Flames, not the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

With respect, if your position is Jack doesn't get traded until he's proven healthy, you should probably stay away from this thread until he's proven healthy.

They aren't broadcasting it, but Calgary and Tkachuk are done with each other.

He's accepting his huge QA next year and going to UFA to the team of his choice after. Unless he's moved to a team he likes first.

Not many teams will take the risk, but St. Louis is one, reportedly because it's a place he wants to be.

We are talking three teams here with assets that — for various reasons — are tougher to move than their history indicates they should be. That's why the deal might make sense.

Tarasenko is very much on the market right now.

He's done with the Blues over perceived poor treatment of his injury, and they are done with him over his return on investment. He's essentially available as a cap dump, but the expansion draft showed you can't give him away after his past few years.

No team in the league is willing to take him on at full value, but at $5 million he may have some appeal.

I doubt Tarasenko waives to play for the Sabres, or that the Sabres want him to play for the Sabres, but he may waive if he knows he's going to be immediately flipped to a more attractive destination, which, of course, would have to be worked out in advance.

Given Tarasenko's negative value, maybe it's the Blues who should be adding a sweetener to the Flames, not the Sabres.

I actually like this deal pretty well. Especially if we can get a trade for Tarasenko set up prior to the trade. St. Louis can't retain on him but we certainly could. Plus he's only under contract 2 years meaning the cap hit would only hurt in the rebuild/experience gaining years.

• Like (+1) 1

My first idea for Tarasenko is to go

Tarasenko(50%) & PHI's 2023 2nd to Philly for Van Riemsdyk, 2023 1st and 2022 4th

In this scenario I'm targeting a short term replacement net front presence for Reinhart whom is a generally solid player and good guy. 

My 2nd idea would be Tarasenko(50%) to Philly for either Konecny or Farabee straight up.

3rd option is Tarasenko(50%) to Philly for Lindblom & PHI's 2022 1st

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

My first idea for Tarasenko is to go

Tarasenko(50%) & PHI's 2023 2nd to Philly for Van Riemsdyk, 2023 1st and 2022 4th

In this scenario I'm targeting a short term replacement net front presence for Reinhart whom is a generally solid player and good guy. 

My 2nd idea would be Tarasenko(50%) to Philly for either Konecny or Farabee straight up.

3rd option is Tarasenko(50%) to Philly for Lindblom & PHI's 2022 1st

If these deals were available St Louis would do them themselves.

Edited by Hoss

19 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

They can't retain 50%

Unless they've already retained elsewhere they absolutely can. They'd be offloading $3.75M from his contract for this season so while they couldn't absorb JVR into that they would be able to easily find other ways to make any deal involving him work. If those deals were on the table a couple million wouldn't get in the way of getting a deal done. And they aren't going to forgo getting great value for the best offensive player they've had in a long time purely because of it.

The catch is: those deals aren't on the table. They left him unprotected in the expansion draft and he wasn't even taken. In all likeliness that means two franchises have reached out to other GMs about what type of value Tarasenko has in a trade and both found it wasn't much. I think teams are being very stingy about first round picks, especially in trades involving injured players (but not in deals for Rasmus Ristolainen). I don't think there is much value placed on him right now.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

You are missing the point. His current value because of his uncertain health status is severely diminished to a fraction what many people believe. And that is evident by the lack of movement on offers. In general. the offers being proposed are much higher than what would be realistically offered by any interested parties for this injured player. That's the point. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are missing the point. His current value because of his uncertain health status is severely diminished to a fraction what many people believe. And that is evident by the lack of movement on offers. In general. the offers being proposed are much higher than what would be realistically offered by any interested parties for this injured player. That's the point. 

With respect, you missed @dudacek point that all you do is post in this thread that you do not believe Jack will be traded until he is healthy, with more words added, but that's the bottom line.  His suggestion, which maybe kind of tongue-in-cheekie, that you stay out of this thread until Jack is healthy is a pretty polite way of saying that you are not contributing in any way to the discussion of rumours and proposals.

I happen to agree with you that Johnny won't be traded until he is healthy because it's very unlikely the Sabres will get anywhere near his value in return.  I posted that once and then have sat back and enjoyed this thread and probably made a comment or two along the way about trade proposals / rumours.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1