Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Just now, Thorny said:

Well there's the hitch. I'm not realistic and pretending we still aren't doing this.

The one person who understands that this is a multi-year rebuild is the GM. And he is the head of the hockey operation. Not only is the hockey operation aware that this is a multi-year rebuild but so is everyone else in the league. It is so obvious to all that even the blind can see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Of course you can sort out the talent on hand if you accept the obvious reality that this is more than a one year rebuild. Wanting to do something is not the same as being able to do something. There are a variety of ways to build a roster. If you get Drysdale and include Power to the mix in another year and add them to what you already have with Dahlin and Joki then you are assembling a top tier blueline. What's the matter with that? 

The reality they'd need to be targeting top level Cs in the coming draft, if they chose to strip the roster of them now and let it go unaddressed this entire offseason, yes. They aren't getting that kind of prospect any other way if it's bypassed/unattained in an Eichel deal. 

9 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

"We should only take on financial burden if it helps us."

You have no idea what the return will be. 

But my question is when would taking on a cap dump or retaining part of Jack’s cap hit, ever be a help to the Sabres? Unless you are referring to it meaning the return would be greater if the Sabres accepted a dump or salary  retention 

Edited by LabattBlue

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The one person who understands that this is a multi-year rebuild is the GM. And he is the head of the hockey operation. Not only is the hockey operation aware that this is a multi-year rebuild but so is everyone else in the league. It is so obvious to all that even the blind can see it. 

Of course he understands it's that: he chose for it to be that. What are you even arguing? Everyone knows it's a rebuild, ya. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The reality they'd need to be targeting top level Cs in the coming draft, if they chose to strip the roster of them now and let it go unaddressed this entire offseason, yes. They aren't getting that kind of prospect any other way if it's bypassed/unattained in an Eichel deal. 

No one that I am aware of disagrees with you that if a top tier center prospect can't be acquired in an Eichel trade or any other trade for that matter then it will have to be addressed in a future draft. If that's your only option then what else can you do? 

Just now, JohnC said:

No one that I am aware of disagrees with you that if a top tier center prospect can't be acquired in an Eichel trade or any other trade for that matter then it will have to be addressed in a future draft. If that's your only option then what else can you do? 

It would be our only option at that point. I sure hope we aren't going down the path of acting like all roads led to Adams making every big decision he made this offseason. 

Everything he is doing is a choice. Or, at least, it's an organizational choice. We didn't *have* to wipe out our top 2 Cs and leave the position unaddressed until the following draft, hypothetically - that would be the choice we made.

• Like (+1) 1

Of course he understands it's that: he chose for it to be that. What are you even arguing? Everyone knows it's a rebuild, ya. 

Then what are you complaining about? He decided to take a course of action and he is doing it. What's your point? Saying he should have done this or that at this point is moot. He's explicitly stated a strategy to rebuild and is following it. Lamenting that course of action gets you where? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

Then what are you complaining about? He decided to take a course of action and he is doing it. What's your point? Saying he should have done this or that at this point is moot. He's explicitly stated a strategy to rebuild and is following it. Lamenting that course of action gets you where? 

This is honestly wild.

Would a Buffalo Sabres message board not be a good place to discuss theories for different courses of action we might have taken? In the offseason on August 8th? Lamenting and complaining? You have to chuckle. The discussion must get in line with the path the GM has taken? Because our message board needs to show support to our Head of Staff at this troubled time? Lmao

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Jesus,... 255 pages.

This thread sucks.

I have to agree at this point

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It would be our only option at that point. I sure hope we aren't going down the path of acting like all roads led to Adams making every big decision he made this offseason. 

Everything he is doing is a choice. Or, at least, it's an organizational choice. We didn't *have* to wipe out our top 2 Cs and leave the position unaddressed until the following draft, hypothetically - that would be the choice we made.

Reinhart made the decision that he wasn't going to sign a long-term deal with the franchise. So he was dealt for whatever he could get. Risto basically said that he wanted out. So he was dealt. The Jack situation has reached a tipping point where he absolutely doesn't want to be here. So he will be moved. That's the situation the GM is. What's evident is that you can't always control the situation so much as adjust to the situation. That's life.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm steaming over the fact that apparently Krebs isn't on table? Why the ***** do you think you can get eichel with pieces we already have 30 of

Why steam? It's in the past. Stop complaining. He isn't on the table - that's life. 

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Before training camp begins, Jack needs to be traded, have the surgery the Sabres prefer, or convince them to let him have the surgery option he prefers.  This mexican standoff has to end...and end soon. 

Stare Down The Good The Bad And The Ugly GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is honestly wild.

Would a Buffalo Sabres message board not be a good place to discuss theories for different courses of action we might have taken? In the offseason on August 8th? Lamenting and complaining? You have to chuckle. The discussion must get in line with the path the GM has taken? Because our message board needs to show support to our Head of Staff at this troubled time? Lmao

I have to agree at this point

I don't understand what you want the GM to do? The main issue this offseason isn't about what should have or could have taken taken place in the past. It is about where you are and what are you going to do. Would of and should of get you nowhere other than spinning your wheels.  Pointing out the many mistakes this franchise has made over the past number of years is like shooting fish out of a barrel. Those failures have been rehashed to exhaustion. At this point it is more productive and interesting to discuss what are some of the best options to address some of these issues. 

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He is but I say it's less likely than 50 percent he fills a 1C spot to the level we'd want - it's certainly within range but I think solid 2C is a smarter bet. I'd feel much more sturdy on a bet of Cozens and Krebs than just Cozens. We just don't have anything coming at C right now to back Casey and Mittelstadt in their pursuit of competently filling the top 6 and betting on both to do it seems folly. 

We won't have anything coming at C until after the 2022 draft. 

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think Krebs has more value to us than Drysdale because of need 

I think you’re so focused on the need for centre you are ignoring other needs.

I like Joki as much as the next Sabrefan, but he certainly not a sure fire 1st-pairing RD and there is literally no one in pipeline who might be. Hell, Laaksonen is the only other RD in the the entire organization who projects as an NHL.

And while we have plenty of wingers, we have no one at all who approaches the power forward mode or plays with an edge. Pekar? Brett Murray? 

At centre we at least have two guys with legitimate shots at turning into top-six level players. I absolutely agree we need more, but we also need RHD and power forwards and this trade meets both needs.

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

As I told Chad, if the 2022 pick is Top 10 protected I would insist on Perrault being added.

I need a C prospect coming back in any Eichel trade; Drysdale + Comtois are great pieces but I'd still need a C prospect for at minimum, organizational depth.

Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good great.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I like Joki as much as the next Sabrefan, but he certainly not a sure fire 1st-pairing RD and there is literally no one in pipeline who might be. Hell, Laaksonen is the only other RD in the the entire organization who projects as an NHL.

And while we have plenty of wingers, we have no one at all who approaches the power forward mode or plays with an edge. Pekar? Brett Murray? 

At centre we at least have two guys with legitimate shots at turning into top-six level players. I absolutely agree we need more, but we also need RHD and power forwards and this trade meets both needs.

I wouldn't worry about wingers. Kisakov, Poltapov, Peterka, Quinn. Idk if they are specifically power forwards with edges but they definitely have some nasty in their games. 

Hell I forgot Rosen at wing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand what you want the GM to do? The main issue this offseason isn't about what should have or could have taken taken place in the past. It is about where you are and what are you going to do. Would of and should of get you nowhere other than spinning your wheels.  Pointing out the many mistakes this franchise has made over the past number of years is like shooting fish out of a barrel. Those failures have been rehashed to exhaustion. At this point it is more productive and interesting to discuss what are some of the best options to address some of these issues. 

But I don't think the best option was to chose to field a tank worthy roster. I think the type of rebuild they are undertaking is a mistake. What's the statute of limitations on that? Cause what I hear you saying is that taking issue with these recent decisions and devoting discussion time to them is complaining. We should only discuss the decisions yet to be made?  

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He’s pointing out that we have unproven babies in two of our what, five most important positions, and no one behind them if they fail.

And he’s saying it would be a mistake to not use our best trade asset to address that.

I don’t agree with him given the option being discussed at the moment, but it’s hardly out of line for a topic of conversation.

On the contrary, it’s a huge concern.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s pointing out that we have unproven babies in two of our what, five most important positions, and no one behind them if they fail.

And he’s saying it would be a mistake to not use our best trade asset to address that.

I don’t agree with him given the option being discussed at the moment, but it’s hardly out of line for a topic of conversation.

On the contrary, it’s a huge concern.

I'd also mention that if we get a first round pick, we may address it with that asset. It just might not be immediately. 

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm not ignoring anything. 

You don't need a 1RHD if you have a true 1LHD though. You don't need a 1D at LHD *and* RHD. Our top 2 pairs would be in great shape with a fully realized Dahlin, and Power, paired with average top 4 d-men. It's like how you don't necessarily need elite wingers lined up with your top level centreman. 

There is no one with a projection for 1C above 50%.

We have 2 d-men that project to top pair. C is still the bigger need by far. Also, we are talking about *centre* here, the most important position, not "RHD" or "power forward". C is the bigger need. It should be the focus right now. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't worry about wingers. Kisakov, Poltapov, Peterka, Quinn. Idk if they are specifically power forwards with edges but they definitely have some nasty in their games. 

Hell I forgot Rosen at wing.

I like the competitiveness of that group, but none of them bring the abrasive element Comtois does. I want that in my top six.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like the competitiveness of that group, but none of them bring the abrasive element Comtois does. I want that in my top six.

Idk if I agree. Maybe not to the same extent but Peterka, Poltapov, and even Quinn feature a grittiness. Kisakov and Rosen are pretty fearless. 

Edited by LGR4GM
I can't spell
  • Like (+1) 1