Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And the Lord looked down upon what He had created and, putting one withered hand on His furrowed brow, brought His other hand down with fury and fire, smoting humanity into an ashen heap.

Smote it, LGR. Smote it!

Wait... are you confirming lgr4gm is the almighty?

• Haha (+1) 2

I think we need to remember what happend with Duchene and Sakic.   That dragged on for more than a year as well, but in the end Sakic got what he wanted.

Look at what Duchene got.

Girard - Top 4 D for the avs
Shane bowers - Was an A level prospect back then ( still needs to make the team I think)
1st round pick - Bo byram was selected
Kamenev - still in KHL 
2nd round and 3rd round pick
Edit: they also got goalie Andrew hammond as a throw in.

This is what Duchene got, and some of us think Eichel will get less than this ?  Eichel is a sure 1C in the NHL ,  you ask for a boatload back because even in this trade there are some busts.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

For what reasoning? Have continued talks with teams until you find the right deal. If Eichel plays it will drastically improve the offers imo. You absolutely can't say that we have this under control then trade him for peanuts, they've passed that stage again imo when GMKA stated that "They control this process", so it will either be Jack sits out and is put on LTIR or we trade him for 4 assets or he plays for us and we maximize his trade value. There is no other scenario that I can think of other than Jack retiring which I believe we'd get all the cap hit back and still his rights for 5 years I think? 

What if Jack doesn’t register a point in 10 games?  What will the offers look like then?

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Eichel seems intent on screwing the Sabres on his way out of town. In any case his agents ill timed msg to the media has most likely damaged the bounty KA expected to get in return. Its also damaged the reputation of the petulant star in the eyes of GMs throughout the league. His reputation is growing. The Sabres look bad, Eichel/agent look bad and we will never get fair value for the asset we hold. Its a lose/lose situation that further cements the inept reputation of this org. And is perhaps the worst outcome for the inexperienced GM to this point. Can the ‘deal’ be salvaged ?

I disagree.  It looks like the agents press release was coordinated move to let interested teams know 1) Eichel still wants out and the Sabres still want him out, 2) Yes Jack needs surgery but if he gets it sooner rather than later he will be there to start the season, 3) it provided some health details publicly to reassure interested teams that this is not a Ryan Callahan or Cody Hodgson type situation.

I don't think the agents are releasing specifics around Eichel's health without approval from Eichel to do so, and they may have also cleared it with the Sabres.

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think we need to remember what happend with Duchene and Sakic.   That dragged on for more than a year as well, but in the end Sakic got what he wanted.

Look at what Duchene got.

Girard - Top 4 D for the avs
Shane bowers - Was an A level prospect back then ( still needs to make the team I think)
1st round pick - Bo byram was selected
Kamenev - still in KHL 
2nd round and 3rd round pick
Edit: they also got goalie Andrew hammond as a throw in.

This is what Duchene got, and some of us think Eichel will get less than this ?  Eichel is a sure 1C in the NHL ,  you ask for a boatload back because even in this trade there are some busts.

Not exactly the same circumstances but agree we need to be steadfast.  

Eichel is hurt and there are questions about him.  I never thought we could trade him for those fabulous deals scripted in this thread unless he was deemed recovered.  A trade isn’t happening soon unless we take  less, or eat salary, or agree to provisions to cover risk.  

Edited by Pimlach

We all know how good Jack is when healthy, and what he can be while healthy on a solid team. But ultimately he hasn’t done anything in the NHL but prove he can be PPG player. For someone who has never been in the playoffs (not his fault admittedly) his demands sure do come across as a bit ridiculous. Five years left on his contract and he’s acting like he’s Mark Messier or something. 

There were 18 centers in the NHL last season that were also PPG players. Let’s not pretend like Jack is a top 10 center. Not even sure if he is top 15 anymore. 

Edited by I-90 W
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I could be wrong but we’re well beyond those type of returns. It will be substantially less than KAs ask.

I agree with you. Think that Jack’s press statement just torpedoed any chance at a trade this off season now. I expect a trade either during the season or at next year’s trade deadline. Basically either his statement will have the opposite targeted effect or he is a maniacal genius and wants his NMC to be in place when the trade happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I agree with you. Think that Jack’s press statement just torpedoed any chance at a trade this off season now. I expect a trade either during the season or at next year’s trade deadline. Basically either his statement will have the opposite targeted effect or he is a maniacal genius and wants his NMC to be in place when the trade happens. 

Why do you think that the statement released on Friday “torpedoed” the chances of a trade this offseason?

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Why do you think that the statement released on Friday “torpedoed” the chances of a trade this offseason?

Because where KA is and what other GMs are willing to offer is already not working. This most likely put more perceived pressure on KA, further lowering Jack’s trade value. KA isn’t going to budge, that much is obvious. Thus it’s even less likely to happen, thus it has been torpedoed.

3 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Because where KA is and what other GMs are willing to offer is already not working. This most likely put more perceived pressure on KA, further lowering Jack’s trade value. KA isn’t going to budge, that much is obvious. Thus it’s even less likely to happen, thus it has been torpedoed.

How do you know that he hasn't budged on what he is willing to accept in a Jack trade? Just maybe the offers he has received have not met the minimum level of what he is willing to accept? If that is the case then holding out is the right negotiating strategy. When you are holding the cards holding out could be the right approach to take. If his bottom line is that at a minimum a return has to include a young player who has the potential to become a first or second line center then he is acting with prudence. That's the right approach to take.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

How do you know that he hasn't budged on what he is willing to accept in a Jack trade? Just maybe the offers he has received have not met the minimum level of what he is willing to accept? If that is the case then holding out is the right negotiating strategy. When you are holding the cards holding out could be the right approach to take. If his bottom line is that at a minimum a return has to include a young player who has the potential to become a first or second line center then he is acting with prudence. That's the right approach to take.  

Information and belief; what he himself has publicly said, what insiders continue to say, and what I see with my own eyes (still no trade and Jack being frustrated). That was easy. 

6 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Information and belief; what he himself has publicly said, what insiders continue to say, and what I see with my own eyes (still no trade and Jack being frustrated). That was easy. 

So what if Jack is frustrated or even if the organization is frustrated! If a fair-value deal can't be had at this time then wait until it is a better time. Why throw in the towel and get pennies on the dollar in a trade because of impatience. That makes no sense at all. It might come down to waiting for Jack to get a surgery and then rehabbing. If that is the case then so be it. 

The GM has made it clear that he is not going to make a bad deal for his best player. And that is the right thing to do. I understand why Jack is frustrated. But he is not making the deal----the GM is. The GM is obligated to act in the best interest of the franchise----not in the best interest of the player.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So what if Jack is frustrated or even if the organization is frustrated! If a fair-value deal can't be had at this time then wait until it is a better time. Why throw in the towel and get pennies on the dollar in a trade because of impatience. That makes no sense at all. It might come down to waiting for Jack to get a surgery and then rehabbing. If that is the case then so be it. 

The GM has made it clear that he is not going to make a bad deal for his best player. And that is the right thing to do. I understand why Jack is frustrated. But he is not making the deal----the GM is. The GM is obligated to act in the best interest of the franchise----not in the best interest of the player.  

Getting Jack outta here sooner rather than later is in the best interest of the franchise. They are getting skewered right now.  Rip off the band aid and let this fanbase heal a little.  

9 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Wait... are you confirming lgr4gm is the almighty?

lol, I'm not

8 minutes ago, PP Slapper said:

Getting Jack outta here sooner rather than later is in the best interest of the franchise. They are getting skewered right now.  Rip off the band aid and let this fanbase heal a little.  

Stay the course. The ROR wound is still a festering gash in our minds. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

lol, I'm not

Stay the course. The ROR wound is still a festering gash in our minds. 

The Sabres should stay the course, but Adams has to do a better job controlling the narrative because we are getting blasted by the (inter)national hockey writers. But it's difficult because the Sabres can't defend themselves on the medical issues without violating HIPPA while Jack can have his preferred surgeon go on podcasts to present his side of the issue.  All of this could become an issue when we want to start signing higher-profile free agents in a few years.  

12 minutes ago, PP Slapper said:

Hell no! Acting out of frustration instead of calculation is simply dumb. If the GM bases his decisions on what the fan base wants rather than its judgments it should be summarily fired for gross incompetence. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PP Slapper said:

What if Jack doesn’t register a point in 10 games?  What will the offers look like then?

If it's because he's broken you take best value for him and move on.  If it's because he's being a whiny bitch you treat him like any other underperforming player (press box, etc.)

So Jack’s agent disagrees with him? 

Prusmack said Eichel deserves the opportunity to choose which procedure he wants to undergo.

“And if he chose the fusion, I’d disagree with it, but I’d totally get it and would back him for it because that’s his choice,” he said. “And if he said, ‘You I don’t want to be the first guy in hockey to get this, that worries me.’ You got it. No problem. Then have at it. But that’s not the case

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/doctor-makes-case-for-sabres-jack-eichel-having-disc-replacement-surgery/

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don’t think you understand my position. I agree with KA not moving him. I’m simply noting that Jack is not helping the process.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

The Sabres should stay the course, but Adams has to do a better job controlling the narrative because we are getting blasted by the (inter)national hockey writers. But it's difficult because the Sabres can't defend themselves on the medical issues without violating HIPPA while Jack can have his preferred surgeon go on podcasts to present his side of the issue.  All of this could become an issue when we want to start signing higher-profile free agents in a few years.  

I agree stay the course.

Every time Adams tries to control the narrative, the agents come out and contradict him. 

I still say that while the fans have received lots of "new information" to talk about and debate with regards to Eichel's surgery and trade situation.  The hockey writers from around the league are tickled pink to be able to write about Eichel and the Sabres issues.  From a GM's perspective from around the league there is no new information about Eichel.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Digger said:

I agree stay the course.

Every time Adams tries to control the narrative, the agents come out and contradict him. 

I still say that while the fans have received lots of "new information" to talk about and debate with regards to Eichel's surgery and trade situation.  The hockey writers from around the league are tickled pink to be able to write about Eichel and the Sabres issues.  From a GM's perspective from around the league there is no new information about Eichel.  

I guess Eichel is the Aaron Rodgers of the NHL off-season.

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Eh, I don’t think it lowers his trade value any.  The other GMs already knew that Adams was sticking to his ask, and they weren’t willing to go there.  You think they going to offer less today than they did last week, knowing that what they offered last week wasn’t enough?  Personally, I doubt it.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Eh, I don’t think it lowers his trade value any.  The other GMs already knew that Adams was sticking to his ask, and they weren’t willing to go there.  You think they going to offer less today than they did last week, knowing that what they offered last week wasn’t enough?  Personally, I doubt it.

*Chris Drury has entered the chat

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6