Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

You just bury him, the option you gave would be completely unacceptable to the fans and I highly doubt they are so completely inept as to think otherwise

It’s not unacceptable to me for Eichel to get surgery and start the season with the Sabres to show he is healthy, then trade him.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

I have not read the 200+ posts here, and this is my first time speaking about this issue, but I just want to say that I think this Eichel situation is absurd. How in heaven's name can the Sabres possibly expect to get full value for a player whose health is in question?? (To be fair, I am not sure Adams is under any delusion about this.) And as the poster here says it, what team would make this trade for Eichel?? (Again, given the lack of movement, I am not sure that any other teams are under any delusion about this either.). No wonder no trade has happened.

The Sabres and Eichel have only one path forward in the immediate future--together. For now, at least, they are stuck with each other. They should sit down in a room and accept that fact, and ask--how can we move forward for now? Answer-- (1) let's come to an agreement on the medical procedure; (2) let's get Jack to full health; (3) let's get him on the ice producing at his near MVP clip, (4) then and only then, if we still want to part ways, we discuss it then. Who knows, maybe there is a shift in attitudes and Jack wants to stick around; otherwise, this is ludicrous.

Am I wrong about this? 

Probably so. You are looking at this entangled and multi-faceted situation as a dispassionate third party. What you see as a fair outcome is not necessarily how the parties involved see it. Where I agree with you is that until the conflicting health strategy issue is resolved the situation is stuck in the mud. After that is dealt with then the outcome after the rehabilitation has to be  assessed. Will the player be back to where he was or will he be a shadow of what he once was? I don't know? Until those hurdles have been address there might not be much movement from the parties who might be interested in acquiring Jack. 

The Sabres have control of an asset that is damaged. The GM has repeatedly stated that he wants a substantial return for that asset. Until that asset is physically restored this issue is going to linger. That's how I see it. 

31 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

There have been rumours of that on other boards. I mean, it would be understandable if he had a problem with pain killers given his back/neck issues. But it has been rumoured that he picked up other bad habits from Kane and Bogo. It’s all just rumours, but if I’m hearing it in message boards then other GMs are hearing it too.

This isn’t generally the kind of stuff we pass around here without concrete evidence.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This isn’t generally the kind of stuff we pass around here without concrete evidence.

I agree with you. Making  character assassination comments based on rumors are not right. Its irresponsible and reckless.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HoosierDaddy said:

What team is going to trade a roster player, it’s top prospect(s), and multiple first-round picks for a guy who needs back surgery, is rumoured to be kind of a d-bag and may have a drug problem?

Slow down there, cowboy.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Eichel seems intent on screwing the Sabres on his way out of town. In any case his agents ill timed msg to the media has most likely damaged the bounty KA expected to get in return. Its also damaged the reputation of the petulant star in the eyes of GMs throughout the league. His reputation is growing. The Sabres look bad, Eichel/agent look bad and we will never get fair value for the asset we hold. Its a lose/lose situation that further cements the inept reputation of this org. And is perhaps the worst outcome for the inexperienced GM to this point. Can the ‘deal’ be salvaged ?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Soo if San jose terminates EK9 contract, they have a lot of room for Eichel.

Eklund + 2022 1st + 20231st + Meier + Merkley ?

If San Jose goes in on Eichel, it’d need to be futures almost exclusively.

The Sharks have too many big contracts to give up current roster players.  Getting Eichel would be all about making their last big playoff push.  They’d want all hands on deck.

I could see Eklund, some combination of prospects (Borderleau, Robins, etc) and a couple first round picks. 

I think that’s a light package.  I also think SJ would be insane to mortgage their future to bet on three 30-some defenders making a Cup run.

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I could be wrong but we’re well beyond those type of returns. It will be substantially less than KAs ask.

Yes. I was just thinking that if I was in Bill Guerin’s shoes that I’m not sure that I would trade Rossi for Eichel straight up. Rossi, AFAIK, doesn’t need back surgery. That PR blitz from team Eichel on Friday that made it clear that surgery is necessary really screwed the Sabres over. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Yes. I was just thinking that if I was in Bill Guerin’s shoes that I’m not sure that I would trade Rossi for Eichel straight up. Rossi, AFAIK, doesn’t need back surgery. That PR blitz from team Eichel on Friday that made it clear that surgery is necessary really screwed the Sabres over. 

Yeah PR blitz from his doctor - I said before its known the sabres doctor basically invented the surgery.   Good doctors look for none invasive measures first.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

To be fair, any team trading for Eichel will know how his rehab is progressing and whether he needs surgery.  That was only news to us.  It was already know to interested GM’s.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Everyone knew inside the Sabre franchise and teams who had an interest in him that if the conservative approach of rehabbing didn't work that he would need surgery. Jack's agent stating that he would need surgery is not new information. It can be considered an update that interested teams already knew. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah PR blitz from his doctor - I said before its known the sabres doctor basically invented the surgery.   Good doctors look for none invasive measures first.

Lol. Wut?

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you. Making  character assassination comments based on rumors are not right. Its irresponsible and reckless.  

Unfortunately, there are some on the interwebs that believe that is their responsibility.  Just look at the Evander Kane thread that is very active on here now.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's difficult to be 100% wrong. You hit what I thought was an unattainable achievement. Your claim about the Sabre doctor/s invented the surgery need is stupendously wrong. 

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Unfortunately, there are some on the interwebs that believe that is their responsibility.  Just look at the Evander Kane thread that is very active on here now.

The Kane story writes itself

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's difficult to be 100% wrong. You hit what I thought was an unattainable achievement. Your claim about the Sabre doctor/s invented the surgery need is stupendously wrong. 

Well invented maybe not, but he was one of the first in USA doing disc replacements from what I read.