Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

I am amazed at the continuous drama around this issue with Eichel.

Many of us thought Adams recent statement that "we are in control and Jack is under contract with the Sabres for the next 5 years" was all about letting teams wanting to make a trade for him know that we are not selling him low.

Then the agents for Eichel have to come out and mess this up saying "it's not under control" and Friedman gets his potential surgeon on 31 thoughts pushing the pros of the procedure.  He only represents one side (it's one opinion).  Amazingly there are hardly any risks.  What's the point of doing this podcast?  Many find it an interesting discussion but ultimately the fans have no say.  I doubt that other GM's are listening to Friedman's podcast saying "yeah this new surgery looks great based on what I've heard on the podcast, we should trade for Jack".  I think the point is to make the Sabres organization look bad (like we needed any more fuel on that fire) and then put pressure on Adams to allow Eichel to get the surgery he wants.  It doesn't help the trade situation other than add another artificial deadline date for when the surgery is needed.

I can't wait for this drama to be finally over.

• Like (+1) 5

The thing I can't understand is that while this organization is a gong show their medical staff and doctors (who they share with the Bills) are just about the only top notch thing about it. If they are recommending something there is likely a very good reason they are doing so.

Per Dr Prusmack Jack’s MRI’s haven’t improved and He remains symptomatic, meaning surgery is the most likely outcome. 
If another team isn’t willing to give up the assets the Sabres want, the teams best option might be to allow Him to undergo the ADR within next week, as the return to play time is decreased. Dr Prusmack also mentioned that if the ADR is not successful the next step would be a ACDF or Fusion which has a much longer recovery timeframe. 

TBH, SDS Idea of Jack going to Europe to have the surgery done would probably be the best option given they have a longer track record, the question is would the CBA allow for Him to do as Doctors approved to treat NHL Players maybe restricted to North America. Not sure if this is accurate though. 

In return for allowing this to happen, the Sabres should demand for Eichel to completely waive His NMC for at least one additional year in case of more surgery or an extended recovery time being necessary. 

If everything goes per plan, Jack would be ready to play shortly before the season started and be traded late October/Early November similar to Duchene to Ottawa. 

• Like (+1) 8

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Anything can happen in a pickup hockey game It's pretty ridiculous that his agent is even letting him play the game when he needs surgery

Staying in the best condition that he can be in is the right thing for him to do prior to any scheduled operation. Of course he has to be prudent about it. But the worst thing he can do from a medical standpoint is to be sedentary and physically atrophy before undergoing surgery. 

24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The thing I can't understand is that while this organization is a gong show their medical staff and doctors (who they share with the Bills) are just about the only top notch thing about it. If they are recommending something there is likely a very good reason they are doing so.

As said in the interview with Jack's doctor, this procedure isn't recommended for football players. So that bias might be bleeding through to the hockey operations.  It also seems like the Sabres are the ones trying to force the issue.  They see Jack as damaged goods and want to trade him out of here, so it seems.  And as said in the interview, the Sabres (and Bills) only care about Jack until he's, say, 35 years old.  Jack cares about Jack until the day he dies.

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

KA will have to respond to this, I imagine. It's been his strongest tool, talking right to the public and answering questions. He is good at it and this calls for a statement at least

Not so sure a public rebuttal is appropriate.  Public tit-for-tat could backfire in the long run.  Players are watching and listening.  

He is talking direct  to Vegas, Minnesota, Anaheim, etc.  He should care what they say and know one else.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

KA is doing it right. He set his price and he’s sticking to it. It’s not about the money as some keep saying. They will need to spend $8-10M just to get to floor so it’s going to get spent but they want to spend it on useful players.

But if the difference between having a top prospect like krebs included or not is based on taking back salary then they are spending it wisely on useful players.  Krebs or another top prospect is in your system now and that was a useful way to spend the cash.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

How strange would it be if KA managed to execute this trade correctly and competently. 

It would be refreshing. We can see he is looking out for the Sabres best interest. We can see he is professional and polished.

At some point they will have enough of Jack.  In the end, KA might be forced to move on and make a trade that is not great for us.  But after the trade Eichel has to recover and be better than he has ever been to fulfill his promise.  

This situation could set a precedent that most GMs and owners will not like.  Using an injury to force a trade - I can’t think of it ever happening before, especially on a young star and the substantial deal that Eichel signed.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

How strange would it be if KA managed to execute this trade correctly and competently. 

I’ll believe it when I see it.  KA has failed spectacularly on some of his past decisions to this point.

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Dr Prusmack Jack’s MRI’s haven’t improved and He remains symptomatic, meaning surgery is the most likely outcome. 
If another team isn’t willing to give up the assets the Sabres want, the teams best option might be to allow Him to undergo the ADR within next week, as the return to play time is decreased. Dr Prusmack also mentioned that if the ADR is not successful the next step would be a ACDF or Fusion which has a much longer recovery timeframe. 

TBH, SDS Idea of Jack going to Europe to have the surgery done would probably be the best option given they have a longer track record, the question is would the CBA allow for Him to do as Doctors approved to treat NHL Players maybe restricted to North America. Not sure if this is accurate though. 

In return for allowing this to happen, the Sabres should demand for Eichel to completely waive His NMC for at least one additional year in case of more surgery or an extended recovery time being necessary. 

If everything goes per plan, Jack would be ready to play shortly before the season started and be traded late October/Early November similar to Duchene to Ottawa. 

Good post.  Makes sense.  Until Jack shows the neck is “good” the question of fair value remains a mystery.  

With all the Swedes, Finns, and Russian I would think there is no restriction for North American doctors.  It would be interesting  to know. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, will said:

only if the price was right, and i'm (pretend GM) not shipping out my 1C (prospect or otherwise) or a 2021 1st for him.  i can appreciate what GyMKAta (what i speak out loud in my head whenever i see "GMKA") is doing, but the longer this goes on, the less best it's doing the sabres.  and he wants what's best for the sabres, so...

Welcome back.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  KA has failed spectacularly on some of his past decisions to this point.

Since Krueger left the only failure is the Reinhart trade. 

Failure might be a strong word for the Reinhart trade but mediocre at best

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Radar said:

I would think this pretty much puts to rest an Eichel trade for the foreseeable future. Any trade now would be for a very reduced return I would think. 

Unless a team reads the statement and thinks "lets do this trade now and get him rehabbed so he can start for us in October". 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Goaltending man.  Zero priority given for two straight off seasons now when it’s a glaring weakness. 

• Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I don't know, this doctor is pushing his own Agenda, I read that the Sabres doctors is one of the leading doctors in the USA when it comes to disc replacements and he said no to it.

In my  experience good doctors will always use surgery as a last resort, so If jack really wants this surgery he needs to sign a liability waiver clearing he sabres of any future problems that might occur from it.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Derrico said:

Goaltending man.  Zero priority given for two straight off seasons now when it’s a glaring weakness. 

He wanted to sign Ullmark and that was clearly a miscalculation. He is obviously banking on UPL to be ready next season. It is a weakness but not a mistake because Adams doesn't plan for this team to compete for the playoffs this season. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not so...GMKA's failure to get NHL goal tending last year and this year is a major disappointment.  As well, we are still woefully weak at center and he has done nothing to address that either. 

25 minutes ago, Derrico said:

But if the difference between having a top prospect like krebs included or not is based on taking back salary then they are spending it wisely on useful players.  Krebs or another top prospect is in your system now and that was a useful way to spend the cash.  

They believe they will get what they want without salary retention or taking on bad contracts. Time will tell if they are right.

9 minutes ago, Radar said:

I would think this pretty much puts to rest an Eichel trade for the foreseeable future. Any trade now would be for a very reduced return I would think. 

But why?  The information may be new to us as fans and media is having fun writing about this but I don't think there's anything new from a GM's perspective.  I know that it may not be entirely legal and allowed under the CBA but I would think that GM's have talked unofficially to Eichel's agents.  I would also think there's been some discussion from the GM's talking back and forth.  The two procedures can be researched pretty easily.  The risk hasn't changed today.

I think the 31 thoughts podcast was read entirely from a script on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I believe that once a player waives their NMC it is for the entire contract; you can't do it a year at a time (which if I have that right was a brilliant move to get Skinner to waive his to expose him to the expansion draft).