Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Just now, LGR4GM said:

For those who missed it:

They really thought they could play Adams and bully him into a quick trade. Still think this gets done sooner rather then later but they are making things worse.

As for aforementioned retention of salary, they want optimum flexibility when they needed and committing to a $2M payout fir the next five years isn’t part of the plan.

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Amazing how magically Friedman had this ready to go on the same night as the statement. 

Yes, this is exactly correct.  It was pretty obviously a coordinated thing.

Honestly though, I doubt it was Friedman purposely doing Eichel’s bidding.  It was probably just that Friedman wanted to do an episode like this (because it’s a huge story, and fairly complicated) and Eichel’s people knew when it was coming out, so they coordinated the press release to be on the same night.

That seems the most likely scenario to me.

• Like (+1) 3

I think Eichel was the wrong person for us to try and build a franchise on. That’s not to say he isn’t talented, or doesn’t work very hard. But I think his response to the whole affair is fairly telling, and not something I want to see from my captain.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Everybody testing the rookie GM. Hold your ground,  KA

To be honest, this is a lot.  More than most GMs have to go through.  If Adams is able to get through this and make a decent Eichel trade, I’ll have a pretty high opinion of him.

• Like (+1) 6

It is beginning to look suspicious.  Jack and his agents are seeking help to force a trade.

I played the podcast   Interesting stuff but it does not take away risk just because this one guy is willing to do it.   NFL does NOT do it and their studies show 70% return to prior capability.  His allegation that football and hockey are totally different is bunk   Anything can happen in hockey.  Skating fast on sharp blades over hard ice is dangerous and can lead to unpredictable hits - maybe even the type you get in football, or MMA.  I think it disingenuous for him to say otherwise   

Pretty sad that Eichel is under a long term contract and we are in this scenario. This is a landmark case. If all the teams believed that this surgery was no big deal we would have more offers and better offers.  Behind closed doors I bet most all NHL teams agree with the Sabres. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 7

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Honestly though, I doubt it was Friedman purposely doing Eichel’s bidding.  It was probably just that Friedman wanted to do an episode like this (because it’s a huge story, and fairly complicated) and Eichel’s people knew when it was coming out, so they coordinated the press release to be on the same night.

I 100% agree this is how it went down. They gave the permission after Eichel was still here after the draft. It got recorded and they knew it was coming out and so had the statement ready to go to coincide with it. If Eichel had been traded before the podcast release, whatever, no worries there anyways. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Upthread someone mentioned liability to the Sabres if team approved the surgery and he were paralyzed after a hit. Is this true?

Not sure if it's true, but I bet it's a scenario the team lawyers have looked at.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It is beginning to look suspicious.  Jack and his agents are seeking help to force a trade.

I played the podcast   Interesting stuff but it does not take away risk just because this one guy is willing to do it.   NFL does NOT do it and their studies show 70% return to prior capability.  He allegation that football and hockey are totally different is bunk   Anything can happen in hockey.  Skating fast on sharp blades over hard ice is dangerous and lead to unpredictable hits - maybe even the type you get in football, or MMA.  I think it disingenuous for him to say otherwise   

Pretty sad that Eichel is under a long term contract and we are in this scenario. This is a landmark case. If all the team believed that this surgery was no big deal we would have more offers and better offers.  Behind closed doors I bet most all NHL teams agree with the Sabres. 

I totally agree with the bolded.

He even kind of contradicted himself by saying that he doesn’t recommend it for football players because they experience head to head blunt force hits, but then he talks about how great it is for UFC fighters.  Guys who get punched/elbowed/kicked/kneed in the head and potentially dropped on their head/neck.  So is it safe for people who will experience blunt force impacts to the head or not?

He also said one line about the nature of the game of hockey, that “the  ice allows the physics in order for the head to move more freely, you know, take less impact.”

I was like WTF is he talking about?  Hockey is played on a hard ice surface, surrounded by hard board and glass walls.  If your head gets slammed against any of those, I don’t think the physics are going be in your favor.

• Like (+1) 2

Well you figure on a Saturday that the west coast teams might go to the office around 7am (pacific). Minnesota is already in their office and Drury is in his office but it's in outerspace so bad cell service there. 

Realistically Adams could have talked to Minnesota, Montreal already this morning. With calls to Anaheim and Vegas coming before noon. 

• Like (+1) 1

How do you trade a player that's seriously injured for fair value?

KA, just hold course. If the punk wants to sit out, let him. If he can come back and shows he is good again then trade him for something worth getting. Can't see a team betting the farm on a broken down horse.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I totally agree with the bolded.

He even kind of contradicted himself by saying that he doesn’t recommend it for football players because they experience head to head blunt force hits, but then he talks about how great it is for UFC fighters.  Guys who get punched/elbowed/kicked/kneed in the head and potentially dropped on their head/neck.  So is it safe for people who will experience blunt force impacts to the head or not?

He also said one line about the nature of the game of hockey, that “the  ice allows the physics in order for the head to move more freely, you know, take less impact.”

I was like WTF is he talking about?  Hockey is played on a hard ice surface, surrounded by hard board and glass walls.  If your head gets slammed against any of those, I don’t think the physics are going be in your favor.

Seriously, how did Jack get injured in the first place? Playing hockey! Not football.

This situation is just so messed up

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Amazing how magically Friedman had this ready to go on the same night as the statement. 

This is why he is a fool. There are much better devices available in Europe (manufacturers have not bothered to pay to get FDA approval) and they are decades in front of us with regard to these surgeries. He could easily get someone 100x more experienced or more if he went there. 

He is literally choosing inferior devices inserted by less experienced doctors. He has the resources to choose the absolute best in the world. Fool. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Curt said:

I have a hard time not seeing Friedman do this sort of podcast without having some motivation from Eichel's camp or potential teams he could land with.  Especially with it dropping less than 12 hours after the agents' letter was released.  

No one looks good right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

This is why he is a fool. There are much better devices available in Europe (manufacturers have not bothered to pay to get FDA approval) and they are decades in front of us with regard to these surgeries. He could easily get someone 100x more experienced or more if he went there. 

He is literally choosing inferior devices inserted by less experienced doctors. He has the resources to choose the absolute best in the world. Fool. 

They should send him to Europe tomorrow to go to the best artificial disc doctor there. 

Give him the surgery and tell him if it is a problem his contract is void. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

I have a hard time not seeing Friedman do this sort of podcast without having some motivation from Eichel's camp or potential teams he could land with.  Especially with it dropping less than 12 hours after the agents' letter was released.  

No one looks good right now.  

Friedman’s motivation is eyes and ears.  It’s a good story for him.  He was smart to do it.

It’s a lot more interesting and informative than doing a story on “tOp 3 ConTenDerS foR EicHel toDaY”

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Sabres do hold serious entertainment value in the NHL. Unfortunately not because we are an elite winning franchise with star players. It’s the sheer circus show of dysfunction that is mesmerizing. 

The Sabres are doing what every team would do in this situation.  

Yes, they suck on the ice, and off the ice for that matter …  but tell me how Montreal or Tampa would handle this exact situation?   The difference is no one is clamoring to leave those teams, especially players making $10M/yr for the next 5 years. 

Does loyalty and honor mean anything anymore?  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

They really thought they could play Adams and bully him into a quick trade. Still think this gets done sooner rather then later but they are making things worse.

As for aforementioned retention of salary, they want optimum flexibility when they needed and committing to a $2M payout fir the next five years isn’t part of the plan.

Could the alternative not be to take back bad contracts for a shorter length of time?  Hard to believe a team would demand retention in Jack salary and not consider other high priced roster players instead to make the cap work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Sabres are doing what every team would do in this situation.  

Yes, they suck on the ice, and off the ice for that matter …  but tell me how Montreal or Tampa would handle this exact situation?   The difference is no one is clamoring to leave those teams, especially players making $10M/yr for the next 5 years. 

Does loyalty and honor mean anything anymore?  

It’s not even that. It’s the bigger picture of how we just jettisoned our entire rebuild from just 5 years ago… and not because those players were bad! 

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It’s not even that. It’s the bigger picture of how we just jettisoned our entire rebuild from just 5 years ago… and not because those players were bad! 

Ok, well that is certainly dysfunctional.   agree. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Something very interesting here.  Elliot Friedman and Jeff Marek’s 31 Thoughts Podcast just released an episode which is a 30+ min conversation with Jack Eichel’s doctor who is recommended disk replacement and would perform the surgery.  Everyone should give it a listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/31-thoughts-the-podcast/id1332150124#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fpodcast.sportsnet.ca%2F%3Fp%3D32886

So much for HiPAA. So who set that up?

• Like (+1) 1