Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

But aren't we well past the 12 week 'waiting period' of physical therapy and rest?  What's the next step if that didn't work?

Vertebrae fusion is the conventional surgery in this case.  Jack doesn't want it.

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

He's not going to play for the Sabres again. I'm pretty certain of that.  We're already a dumpster fire, they needed to take the best deal available. I don't see how we are not in a worse position today than we were earlier this week.

You don’t see it but maybe we are forcing teams to make a better offer?  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

He's not going to play for the Sabres again. I'm pretty certain of that.  We're already a dumpster fire, they needed to take the best deal available. I don't see how we are not in a worse position today than we were earlier this week.

I could make the argument that having 10M freed from the cap has a ton of value, especially in a flat cap world.  Don't think we need to win the trade, as long as we gain cap room

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

If he sabotaged his value by having the surgery, don't trade him.  Let him stew on LTIR or when he is cleared to play and refuses to, suspend him and fine him for every game he misses.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

True, but I fear that this stunt will be counter productive to that. I think this lowers his trade value for two reasons;  it places more perceived pressure on KA, and it makes Jack look like a difficult guy to have in the locker room. Jack’s camp is literally messing with the process as of now. Last thing we need. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So Jack against the Sabres wishes, has the disc replacement surgery.  Do the Sabres then void his contract, making him a free agent? Or do they just keep him on the team, LTIR him for now, and see how he recovers?

Probably the latter but while suspending his pay.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

maybe, but most of the teams probably can't take on the contract after the free agent signings. Plus, we're trying to trade an unhealthy player.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

If he sabotaged his value by having the surgery, don't trade him.  Let him stew on LTIR or when he is cleared to play and refuses to, suspend him and fine him for every game he misses.

it's fun to think about retribution, but it really just prolongs our misery with a lousy team.

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So Jack against the Sabres wishes, has the disc replacement surgery.  Do the Sabres then void his contract, making him a free agent? Or do they just keep him on the team, LTIR him for now, and see how he recovers?

I wish someone asked this 15 minutes ago. Lol

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

I could make the argument that having 10M freed from the cap has a ton of value, especially in a flat cap world.  Don't think we need to win the trade, as long as we gain cap room

Yeah but the goal is to clear the cap room and get pieces back. This isn’t Skinner. Getting him off the books straight up would be huge, but not Jack.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

We have the most cap space available in the league. We need talent.

Just now, darksabre said:

Regarding the surgery, it's pretty clear to me that the reason the Sabres are blocking the surgery is because they're trying to trade him. The fact that Jack and his agent don't seem to understand this is pretty wild.

Maybe this is why the offers have been unsatisfactory. Teams might not want to give up the farm for a player needing surgery.

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

Yeah but the goal is to clear the cap room and get pieces back. This isn’t Skinner. Getting him off the books straight up would be huge, but not Jack.

If he has the surgery he wants it would void his contract and the Sabres could cut him loose.

True, but I fear that this stunt will be counter productive to that. I think this lowers his trade value for two reasons;  it places more perceived pressure on KA, and it makes Jack look like a difficult guy to have in the locker room. Jack’s camp is literally messing with the process as of now. Last thing we need. 

The word is out on Jack.  It’s known.  Any team that wants him feels his immense talent is worth the locker room risk.  

A team like Vegas could come up with a better offer. A few others can too.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Is everyone missing the part where the Sabres medical staff agreed that surgery is necessary? 

Why won't they have the surgery?  If this is truly the case, I'd be pissed if I were Eichel as well.  Is there any justification for holding up agreed upon necessary surgery being performed asap in order to be ready for the start of the regular season?

The agents are saying this has been agreed upon since June, we are entering August. Why no surgery?

Well, they agreed until they didn't which leads me to question if they ever really agreed in the first place? 

Some other team would probably give him a contract but probably at a lower value (if they wouldn't trade for him at full value, they won't contract him at full value either.)

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Well, they agreed until they didn't which leads me to question if they ever really agreed in the first place? 

Simply put, no.  The only agreement was wait 12 weeks and then reassess.

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Maybe this is why the offers have been unsatisfactory. Teams might not want to give up the farm for a player needing surgery.

BINGO. Not only surgery, but risky surgery.  

Teams are waiting for the Sabres to accept way less.  

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

We have the most cap space available in the league. We need talent.

I think the issue is that the surgery is risky and not necessary. I think most teams would prefer getting all the info and if they decide to let him get the surgery then fine. But it doesn't benefit the Sabres to take on that risk just because Jack wants to.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

If he has the surgery he wants it would void his contract and the Sabres could cut him loose.

Didn’t know that but I believe you.

Jack would be crazy to do that though, all that guaranteed money! That would be the ultimate putting your money where your mouth is move. But it would just be so financially irresponsible.

For reference Tony Romo I believe had fusion surgery and went on to play a few more seasons.

Famous russian figure skater, Evgeni Plushenko had artificial disk replacement in his lumbar spine and came back for a bit but he suffered another injury...

"The injury was not disclosed but he was seen clutching his back and in an interview said he was unable to feel his legs from the back injury."  

😬

Didn’t know that but I believe you.

Jack would be crazy to do that though, all that guaranteed money! That would be the ultimate putting your money where your mouth is move. But it would just be so financially irresponsible.

That doesn't make sense from both sides.  Jack risks 50M, sabres lose an asset.  This needs to end in a trade.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think the issue is that the surgery is risky and not necessary. I think most teams would prefer getting all the info and if they decide to let him get the surgery then fine. But it doesn't benefit the Sabres to take on that risk just because Jack wants to.

Why wouldn't the Sabres make his medical records available(if that story is true), what team would offer 4 big pieces without seeing his records? 

1 minute ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

That doesn't make sense from both sides.  Jack risks 50M, sabres lose an asset.  This needs to end in a trade.

I think what he is saying though is that if Jack unilaterally had the surgery against the Sabres wishes. 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, LGR4GM said:

For awhile now there have been rumors on an Eichel trade. The 2 teams most often discussed are the NYR (who do not have the assets needed for a trade) and the LA Kings (who do have the assets needed for a trade).

Never dreamed it would come to this, did you?  😛

14 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Adams emphasized the fact that they won't trade him if the value isn't there and that's the right approach. You're under contract, you either play for your next contract or you can ride the bench. We cannot budge from the asking price, he is a superstar and the rest of the shark GMs know this.

• Like (+1) 1