Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I buy him from the perspective of not wanting Okposo deals handcuffing him and I even understand the “blocking” argument.

But he is in a position to eat money this year and probably next as well. He has the space and he says he has the budget. He can take on Rask easily. He can take on Fiala. Flip him for more futures if he doesn’t want him long-term. I don’t know if the CBA lets him retain on Jack for say two years only, but that is within his means as well.

If it means a fair return, it will be money well spent.

I would think that paying a player that is not on your roster would be an ownership-level decision.

24 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

After listening to Michael Russo on His Podcast it sounds like the biggest hang up is the Sabres not being willing to retain money on Eichel or take salary back. The names He mentioned as a part possible return to Buffalo were Rossi, Fiala, Boldy, Greenway and Firsts. 

Vegas is hesitant on Krebs, because they gave up Suzuki for Pacioretty, but that’s not Buffalo’s Problem. 

He is a must include. 

They must realize that they have to take money back.  Fiala is a major talent. Greenway adds what this team is missing. Dumba can easily be flipped.  I think the real issue is that Guerin doesn't want to move Rossi and he is a must for Adams in the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I absolutely don't want to retain salary on Eichel.  I could see taking some back, but not for long term (maybe a  year or two).

I don’t see how the Sabres would refuse to take salary back?  If Jack goes won’t they be almost 20 mil below the cap floor...and probably 10-12 mil still below it after RFA’s are signed. 

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

After listening to Michael Russo on His Podcast it sounds like the biggest hang up is the Sabres not being willing to retain money on Eichel or take salary back. The names He mentioned as a part possible return to Buffalo were Rossi, Fiala, Boldy, Greenway and Firsts. 

Vegas is hesitant on Krebs, because they gave up Suzuki for Pacioretty, but that’s not Buffalo’s Problem. 

He is a must include. 

Everything  we want I'm going to be super pissed if it's about money again 

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He is a must include. 

Buffalo should willingly take back salary to facilitate Eichel going to Minnesota with those names being talked about. Adams not doing that is insanity. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo should willingly take back salary to facilitate Eichel going to Minnesota with those names being talked about. Adams not doing that is insanity. 

Or marching orders…..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Everything  we want I'm going to be super pissed if it's about money again 

I would be livid. We could retain 2million on Eichel for the next 5 years and it shouldn't matter much. 

Just now, Weave said:

Or marching orders…..

Always the specter of that in my mind. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I haven’t listened to Russo but I wonder if it is just his opinion on what is happening.  I mean if you could get Rossi AND Boldy that would be a home run. Taking on salary to make it happen is easy, especially if they are flippable players. That is why I have trouble believing the hang up is taking on money. You can’t move $10 million and not expect money back.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why should we retain salary? Isn’t his contract pretty fair and will get even better by the fifth year?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Why should we retain salary? Isn’t his contract pretty fair and will get even better by the fifth year?

If the other team doesn't have cap room then they need money out or retaining salary. Seems sensible.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Emotionally, I’m on board with this.

If you take a step back, there is definitely a mystery box element to this thinking.

Kotkaniemi is literally just six months older than Krebs (and Dylan Cozens for that matter) is considerably bigger, probably has a similar skill level and has already played in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s shown more than any forward in his draft class other than Svechnikov and Tkachuk and all of the prospects in the 2019 draft.

Development is not a straight line and it would be a mistake to say Kotkaniemi isn’t on a similar tier of Krebs and Turcotte and the other forwards we’ve targeted in terms of potential.

"Played in the Stanley cup finals "

He was also scratched in the Stanley cup finals no?

I've now seen a lot of these guys play and I am sticking with my gut on kotka, who I have watched plenty of. I am not interested in adding him at all

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Because our goal is to better in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th year and maximizing our assets in exchange for a 2mil player is totally worth it. 

• Like (+1) 4

I don't know who Mike Russo is but how could he remotely know who the players that are talked about in the trade or what is keeping it from happening? Seems like 1 mans opinion over actual fact. We all assume it's this guy or that guy but until I hear GM Adams say something then I'm going with all opinions but that's just my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don't know who Mike Russo is but how could he remotely know who the players that are talked about in the trade or what is keeping it from happening? Seems like 1 mans opinion over actual fact. We all assume it's this guy or that guy but until I hear GM Adams say something then I'm going with all opinions but that's just my opinion. 

Mike Russo is a writer for the Athletic and is the beat writer for the Minnesota Wild.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Mike Russo is a writer for the Athletic and is the beat writer for the Minnesota Wild.

He is also (generally) one of the more connected insider sources (but only for the Wild). Like Friedman, I mostly take what he says as true until otherwise proven.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'd eat 2 million for a solid return.  In 5 years, the cap "should" go up, believe thats when the COVID CBA protocols drop... plus, face it, we're not contending for a while.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I'm 100% against retaining a dime on Eichel.

Though I fear the Pegulas are being cheapskates in regards to picking up some minor contracts. After all they aren't even sending the Sabres announcers to road games.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

He is also (generally) one of the more connected insider sources (but only for the Wild). Like Friedman, I mostly take what he says as true until otherwise proven.

I get Rob Rossi and Russo confused, far too often.  Apologies to Michael. 

I don't want to retain on Eichel, with the type of player he has, no thanks.  If someone wants the Sabres to retain on Skinner or Okposo.  Sure.  But, Eichel is a franchise changing player.  We should not be keeping money on the books for him.  The return would have to be above and beyond what we want to keep money on the books for Eichel. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

I don't want to retain on Eichel, with the type of player he has, no thanks.  If someone wants the Sabres to retain on Skinner or Okposo.  Sure.  But, Eichel is a franchise changing player.  We should not be keeping money on the books for him.  The return would have to be above and beyond what we want to keep money on the books for Eichel. 

Apparently not because teams don't seem to be lining up to get him. All either want the Sabres to retain money for him or take back bad contracts

If he is a franchise changing player, how come the sabres are still at the same point (or worse) then when he got here?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Apparently not because teams don't seem to be lining up to get him. All either want the Sabres to retain money for him or take back bad contracts

If he is a franchise changing player, how come the sabres are still at the same point (or worse) then when he got here?

I think it's more about cap hit and injury concerns and not so much the type of player Eichel is when healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

If the hold up is retaining salary: If this drags on through the season and everyone on planet Earth KNOWS he must be dealt by July 1st 2022 teams will know they have us by the shorthairs and then teams will demand that we retain salary AND offer less than they are now. So we can retain salary now and get the deal we want or wait and STILL have to retain salary just to get a much worse deal.

Edited by sabremike