Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hey posted the link I'm old if this was an old story my bad .

I'll go eat my 3 little Oreos for My dessert that  I earned for my diet 😫

It's not just an old story.  It's some BS coming from some random dude on another message board. I'm all for discussing even somewhat credible rumors, but quoting some random dude from hfboards?  Really?

Paging @PASabreFan to the courtesy phone.  @PASabreFanyou have a call on line one.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

It's not just an old story.  It's some BS coming from some random dude on another message board. I'm all for discussing even somewhat credible rumors, but quoting some random dude from hfboards?  Really?

Paging @PASabreFan to the courtesy phone.  @PASabreFanyou have a call on line one.

I didn't think a buffalo fan would post that .

It's my bad 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have zero interest in Kotkaniemi. None. Need center prospect to be better

Emotionally, I’m on board with this.

If you take a step back, there is definitely a mystery box element to this thinking.

Kotkaniemi is literally just six months older than Krebs (and Dylan Cozens for that matter) is considerably bigger, probably has a similar skill level and has already played in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s shown more than any forward in his draft class other than Svechnikov and Tkachuk and all of the prospects in the 2019 draft.

Development is not a straight line and it would be a mistake to say Kotkaniemi isn’t on a similar tier of Krebs and Turcotte and the other forwards we’ve targeted in terms of potential.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

That was my initial reaction as well but then I began to wonder how the locker room will react to his return.

The locker room will be fine.  It's much more important to make a good trade for Jack.  If that involves him starting the season with Buffalo then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If you take a step back, there is definitely a mystery box element to this thinking.

Kotkaniemi is literally just six months older than Krebs (and Dylan Cozens for that matter) is considerably bigger, probably has a similar skill level and has already played in the Stanley Cup finals. He’s shown more than any forward in his draft class other than Svechnikov and Tkachuk and all of the prospects in the 2019 draft.

Development is not a straight line and it would be a mistake to say Kotkaniemi isn’t on a similar tier of Krebs and Turcotte and the other forwards we’ve targeted in terms of potential.

And taking it a step further, his development might be impinged if he's on a Win Now team (i.e., boxed out) versus on a building team that takes the time to develop his game properly.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I appreciate your comments.  The difference for me is that Kotkaniemi been given the chance and prime opportunity to play for Montreal and has not panned out yet.  It could be argued and perhaps this is what you are suggesting in that maybe he was rushed to the NHL.  Maybe he still has some upside in a different organization without so much pressure?  But I think with him you really already know what kind of player you would be getting and how he may perform for your team. 

As a Sabres fan I would feel that we are really settling if Kotkaniemi is the best player coming back to us in an Eichel trade.  I don't see Montreal as a good option given their reluctance to include either Suzuki or Caufield.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Not sure Rossi, Zegras or Krebs were ever included in an offer.

After listening to Michael Russo on His Podcast it sounds like the biggest hang up is the Sabres not being willing to retain money on Eichel or take salary back. The names He mentioned as a part possible return to Buffalo were Rossi, Fiala, Boldy, Greenway and Firsts. 

Vegas is hesitant on Krebs, because they gave up Suzuki for Pacioretty, but that’s not Buffalo’s Problem. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The only option on Montreal then is Suzuki

He is a must include. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I have absolutely NO idea who this guy is. Someone retweeted him but he could honestly be full of crap. Looking through his feed though, he doesn't seem to just be a rumor monger as he reported signings and some other stuff that did happen. My point is take this with lots of grains of salt. Montreal did lose Denault but they also have Suzuki and Kotkoniemi. 

Randy Timmons, big mouthed cousin of Habs AGM Trevor Timmons?

10 minutes ago, Digger said:

I appreciate your comments.  The difference for me is that Kotkaniemi been given the chance and prime opportunity to play for Montreal and has not panned out yet.  It could be argued and perhaps this is what you are suggesting in that maybe he was rushed to the NHL.  Maybe he still has some upside in a different organization without so much pressure?  But I think with him you really already know what kind of player you would be getting and how he may perform for your team. 

As a Sabres fan I would feel that we are really settling if Kotkaniemi is the best player coming back to us in an Eichel trade.  I don't see Montreal as a good option given their reluctance to include either Suzuki or Caufield.

If you want a reference point of why this isn’t necessarily true, you have a good example right in front of us in Casey Mittelstadt.

There is definitely such thing as shiny new toy syndrome.

KK 5 goals in 19 playoff games. Cole Caufield 4 goals in 20 playoff games. One is a bust, the other a stud in the making. They were both 20 years old during the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

After listening to Michael Russo on His Podcast it sounds like the biggest hang up is the Sabres not being willing to retain money on Eichel or take salary back. The names He mentioned as a part possible return to Buffalo were Rossi, Fiala, Boldy, Greenway and Firsts. 

If it is only money that is standing in the way of a good deal with Minnesota, then Adams is shooting him self in the foot.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

After listening to Michael Russo on His Podcast it sounds like the biggest hang up is the Sabres not being willing to retain money on Eichel or take salary back.

I absolutely don't want to retain salary on Eichel.  I could see taking some back, but not for long term (maybe a  year or two).

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

If it is only money that is standing in the way of a good deal with Minnesota, then Adams is shooting him self in the foot.

What is his willingness to shield the Pegulas?

I know he said there wasn’t an internal cap, but I’m not necessarily sure we are entitled to that information either. At least in the short term.

On the other hand, if he was reluctant to sign Ullmark because if future dead dollars, then maybe his discipline may end up hurting him in this case.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Not sure Rossi, Zegras or Krebs were ever included in an offer.

This.  The speculation here is way out of control.  No one knows what KA is asking for, what is being offered by other GM’s, how broken Jack is, if he has tapped out or not, etc...

One thing is for sure, some proposals here are taking the “4 pieces thing too far”. 

Just my 2 cents...I think unless many posters lower their expectations, many will be disappointed and angry when the trade finally happens...and I don’t think there is any intention of Jack still being a Sabre when training camp opens...broken or not.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

What is his willingness to shield the Pegulas?

I know he said there wasn’t an internal cap, but I’m not necessarily sure we are entitled to that information either. At least in the short term.

On the other hand, if he was reluctant to sign Ullmark because if future dead dollars, then maybe his discipline may end up hurting him in this case.

I buy him from the perspective of not wanting Okposo deals handcuffing him and I even understand the “blocking” argument.

But he is in a position to eat money this year and probably next as well. He has the space and he says he has the budget. He can take on Rask easily. He can take on Fiala. Flip him for more futures if he doesn’t want him long-term. I don’t know if the CBA lets him retain on Jack for say two years only, but that is within his means as well.

If it means a fair return, it will be money well spent.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This.  The speculation here is way out of control.  No one knows what KA is asking for, what is being offered by other GM’s, how broken Jack is, if he has tapped out or not, etc...

One thing is for sure, some proposals here are taking the “4 pieces thing too far”. 

Just my 2 cents...I think unless many posters lower their expectations, many will be disappointed and angry when the trade finally happens...and I don’t think there is any intention of Jack still being a Sabre when training camp opens...broken or not.

I’d take the “right” two pieces and not think twice about it. 

Any trade of Jack for full value is inherently going to result in very few teams in the mix.  They have to have all of, win now mode, enough high end prospects to afford to lose a couple, 1st round pick(s) in 2022, and cap space to absorb Jack.  A full value trade was always going to be a perfect storm scenario.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

• Thanks (+1) 1