Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Curious what Russo means when he says the Wild are out.

Did the bidding get to a certain level where they could no longer compete? (Good news, it means someone is bidding)

Or did they simply get tired of Adams refusing to budge and decided to move ahead on another path? (Something that becomes inevitable the longer Adams waits)

Nobody is out until he's traded.  It's all posturing.... "oh you want this?!... pffftttt I'm OUT".... the next day "well, actually we could do this or that....."  and the dance continues.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

The fact this hasn't happened yet is really bad.  

A supposed top 5 center in the league is available.  And their appears to be no takers - stop with the asking price.  These things just get done when a player like this becomes available.

So what's up?

1.  The injury.  He's going to miss over half the season.  

2.  Jack's resume - often injured.  Point per game player.  On a perennial loser.  Went thru GMs and Coaches like it was nothing.  Despite his presence, ROR and he along with a fairly talented roster....absolutely stunk.  And ROR forced a trade....essentially.  ROR was not upset over the handling of an injury.  When you read the beat guys from other teams they allude to "attitude."  I have no reason to question this.  I think there is something there about him.  But he shouldn't be seen as a C.  When you stop doing that and figure he needs to be surrounded by people that win and expect his best everyday.  

3.  The players we want will not want or do not want to be here.  Long term extensions or maybe they have flat out said "no way I'm not going to be happy leaving Vegas or the Wild to come here.   

4.  Experienced GMs are trying to get KA to drop his price.  He cannot do so.   

• Like (+1) 1

Like I said before Eichel has a bad reputation in some league circles.    I know for a fact there are teams simply not interested because of these character concerns.   

That said, there are teams who believe that under the right circumstances he can be a good fit, teams with strong veteran leadership.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

The fact this hasn't happened yet is really bad.  

A supposed top 5 center in the league is available.  And their appears to be no takers - stop with the asking price.  These things just get done when a player like this becomes available.

So what's up?

1.  The injury.  He's going to miss over half the season.  

2.  Jack's resume - often injured.  Point per game player.  On a perennial loser.  Went thru GMs and Coaches like it was nothing.  Despite his presence, ROR and he along with a fairly talented roster....absolutely stunk.  And ROR forced a trade....essentially.  ROR was not upset over the handling of an injury.  When you read the beat guys from other teams they allude to "attitude."  I have no reason to question this.  I think there is something there about him.  But he shouldn't be seen as a C.  When you stop doing that and figure he needs to be surrounded by people that win and expect his best everyday.  

3.  The players we want will not want or do not want to be here.  Long term extensions or maybe they have flat out said "no way I'm not going to be happy leaving Vegas or the Wild to come here.   

4.  Experienced GMs are trying to get KA to drop his price.  He cannot do so.   

That roster was hardly highly talented. We had some elite talent, particularly at C, but there was no depth, the defense was a catastrophe, and the goaltending poor (likely at least partially caused by the defense). 

I'm still leaning toward Eichel being shipped to the Rangers.  Drury wants to make a splash in his first season.  I think the Rangers have the prospects. picks, and salary space to make it happen.  

Rangers get- 

Eichel- top line center who is one of the best offensive players in the league 

Akin-you want Sabres top player you have to take Eakin as well.  Could help Rangers with depth/veteran guy.

Sabres get-

Ryan Strome- Sabres use as top line center for year until trade deadline.  Is traded for picks and prospects.  Is part of trade to help Rangers shed salary.

Braden Schneider- big RD prospect drafted first round of 2020

Julian Gaunthier- big RW power forward prospect who was drafted in first rd of 2016

Alexander Georgiev-  becomes Sabres starter is an RFA after year that we can extend fora couple more years until young goalie prospects are ready

2022 1st rd pick- protected if pick is top10.

2 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I'm still leaning toward Eichel being shipped to the Rangers.  Drury wants to make a splash in his first season.  I think the Rangers have the prospects. picks, and salary space to make it happen.  

Rangers get- 

Eichel- top line center who is one of the best offensive players in the league 

Akin-you want Sabres top player you have to take Eakin as well.  Could help Rangers with depth/veteran guy.

Sabres get-

Ryan Strome- Sabres use as top line center for year until trade deadline.  Is traded for picks and prospects.  Is part of trade to help Rangers shed salary.

Braden Schneider- big RD prospect drafted first round of 2020

Julian Gaunthier- big RW power forward prospect who was drafted in first rd of 2016

Alexander Georgiev-  becomes Sabres starter is an RFA after year that we can extend fora couple more years until young goalie prospects are ready

2022 1st rd pick- protected if pick is top10.

No thanks, nothing involved could be equated to worth trading Eichel to a team we would hate him going to.

• Like (+1) 1

From Vegas: Krebs, Tuch, Smith, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd

or

From Anaheim: Zegras, Henrique, Lundstrom, (Top 10 Protected) 2022 1st

Both are fair trades and both give Buffalo a potential future 1C, a vital piece.

I know Anaheim has said Zegras is a no-go but with Mason McTavish now in their system and an unusual age spacing of their key pieces; Eichel would be an immediate 1C versus waiting on Zegras to hopefully get there.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Any protected first needs to be unprotected in 2023. You have to get a first in one of the next two drafts in this deal.

I think that's how it works. The "giving" team can choose to push the pick to the following year but it is totally unprotected. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

I think that's how it works. The "giving" team can choose to push the pick to the following year but it is totally unprotected. 

They can protect it both years. If a first is an important part of the deal the team needs to decline.

From Russo:

”And, there’s still that never-ending issue of potentially finding a No. 1 or 2 center, although at least temporarily the Wild have backed out of Jack Eicheltrade talks, sources say, because they’re fed up with the asking price from the Buffalo Sabres for the $10 million star with a neck injury.”

• Thanks (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Hoss said:

From Russo:

”And, there’s still that never-ending issue of potentially finding a No. 1 or 2 center, although at least temporarily the Wild have backed out of Jack Eicheltrade talks, sources say, because they’re fed up with the asking price from the Buffalo Sabres for the $10 million star with a neck injury.”

*shrug* 

Edited by willismcthrillis

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

From Russo:

Cry more minny

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They absolutely can.

I can't find anything on it but every trade I've saw with a conditional or lotto protected pick if they keep it the first year they cannot protect it a second year. The Islanders pick for vanek was explained this way along with another I can't recall atm

Edited by Kr632

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Come on over to the This is Gonna be Fun thread.  We're serving Morning Martinis.

That sounds lovely. The hospital may frown upon a nurse day drinking, but I think I'll take my chances

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

From Russo:

Minny sounds like the Rags where they expected to trade c level trash and a cap dump for Eichel and Adams was like "hahaha, no."

• Like (+1) 2