Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think he is still a legit hockey personality that gives us a 3rd party perspective of what others think of Eichel.

A willfully ignorant perspective - why would the best prospect we get in the deal be a LHD? I'd riot 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think he is still a legit hockey personality that gives us a 3rd party perspective of what others think of Eichel.

This.

Amongst Wyshynski's insights are such diverse elements as fear and surprise humor, Star Wars, and hockey. For those I have to support him. However, on the hockey side, he's definitely listening to GMs/front offices around the league. [edit: He's at the macro level, not looking at the analytics/stats of each player/prospect. So you have to look at that sort of post as level of return, i.e., top-end prospects are absent.]

Something like this may now be what we're looking at. Eichel's highest trade value was pre-draft where he could have netted a top pick. Now... it's some players. Once free agency starts, then the cap balancing really comes into play and we start looking at garbage contracts in. At least, that's what I'd be doing as a non-Sabres GM. Eichel's a top center, but he's never done anything of note leaguewide, not even threatening for a scoring title beyond the first half of the season. If we don't move him today, the best bet for trade value is let him play the beginning of the season, show he's healthy, and then try a move. But really, we're getting to the point low return, and the GMs around the league know it.

Edited by DarthEbriate

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A willfully ignorant perspective - why would the best prospect we get in the deal be a LHD? I'd riot 

As a savers fan who knows the inner workings of the team, you are ready to riot over the details.

My wife wants a nice car and she wants the Alfa Romeo Giulia. She doesn’t know that the reliability sucks. But when she says that’s what she wants, I know it means she doesn’t want a Honda accord, nor does she want an Aston Martin. 

I would say the detail of his suggestion isn’t important so much as the overall quality.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

As a savers fan who knows the inner workings of the team, you are ready to riot over the details.

My wife wants a nice car and she wants the Alfa Romeo Giulia. She doesn’t know that the reliability sucks. But when she says that’s what she wants, I know it means she doesn’t want a Honda accord, nor does she want an Aston Martin. 

I would say the detail of his suggestion isn’t important so much as the overall quality.

what

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

This would be correct if I could assume competent thought went into determining both. Because of how obviously off base the prospect of choosing was, I can't assume there's logic informing the assessment of quality. 

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Something like this may now be what we're looking at. Eichel's highest trade value was pre-draft where he could have netted a top pick. Now... it's some players. Once free agency starts, then the cap balancing really comes into play and we start looking at garbage contracts in.

Agreed.  Highest market fluidity was pre-draft with immediate top picks available.  Once pick ~#8 was taken, the urgency to trade him cooled a little.  Now teams are clearing cap in preparation for the UFA market.  Eichel's value is high-ish again, as the number of teams with available cap and number of teams looking to dump cap to build around him is higher.  Once the UFA period starts, contracts are signed, and cap space becomes diminished, that fluidity will decrease again and the market for Eichel may cool slightly.  Once camp is over, most teams have their rosters and cap situations set, so making big trades gets harder.

If we wait and get down to one or two teams willing to make the deal, it'll be a situation of we-get-what-we-get.  Competition from big-cap-space teams is what we need, and that's what we have right now.

Because of this, it's likely ***** or get off the pot.  But, as was always the case, we cannot sacrifice quality of return.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Because of this, it's likely ***** or get off the pot.  But, as was always the case, we cannot sacrifice quality of return.

Absolutely, we cannot. Which means we would have Eichel to start this season. Which is good for our scoring (and it nicely slots Mitts and Cozens where they belong). Then do a trade sometime in November if he's doing well. But if Eichel gets hurt again, it will all go seriously off the rails.

His trade value won't regain its high point (before the draft last week) until next offseason if he stays healthy, plays like he is capable of playing, and says the right things. Then, teams can bid to grab his services for 5 locked-in years. And maybe the cap goes up in, say 2023-24, and the contract looks really good in its final couple seasons.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Absolutely, we cannot. Which means we would have Eichel to start this season. Which is good for our scoring (and it nicely slots Mitts and Cozens where they belong). Then do a trade sometime in November if he's doing well. But if Eichel gets hurt again, it will all go seriously off the rails.

His trade value won't regain its high point (before the draft last week) until next offseason if he stays healthy, plays like he is capable of playing, and says the right things. Then, teams can bid to grab his services for 5 locked-in years. And maybe the cap goes up in, say 2023-24, and the contract looks really good in its final couple seasons.

I feel like it would be tough for teams to take on that salary mid-way, no? Unless it was for on-roster players but KA doesn't seem to be targeting that. 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I feel like it would be tough for teams to take on that salary mid-way, no? Unless it was for on-roster players but KA doesn't seem to be targeting that. 

Usually, yes.  The trade partner would need cap space, which could come by:

1. The trade partner having existing cap space.
  2. The trade partner returning players' salaries to the Sabres.
  3. Sabres retaining some of Eichel's salary.
  4. The trade partner having completed a different cap-clearing trade or having a player newly on LTIR.
  5. The trade waiting until later in the season, which would pro-rate the cap hit (see also: trade deadline).
Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Wow, are we really going to get another ROR trade when Adams dumps him for pennies on the dollar tomorrow night after all the serious suitors move on?

You think? I think they just keep him if that's the case.

When the names went on the dotted line Jack said hello to $100 million dollars and TP said goodbye.

Since hockey contracts are fully guaranteed, that money's already gone.

Worrying about it now is foolish IMO

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Really surprised we're not seeing any legit smoke right now...

That's cause he ain't goin nowhere! He's goin, *****in nowhere! Where you goin? *****in nowhere!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

You think? I think they just keep him if that's the case.

When the names went on the dotted line Jack said hello to $100 million dollars and TP said goodbye.

Since hockey contracts are fully guaranteed, that money's already gone.

Worrying about it now is foolish IMO

Sorry, metaphor, not actual money.

If we don't trade him in the next 24 hours or so, I worry the best offer on the table right now won't be there any more.

• Like (+1) 1