Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, freester said:

I expect our cap will be at or near the floor.  The Pegulas have lost large sums of money on the Sabres and know they won't be winning this year regardless of what is spent.

True, and spending to the cap for a bottom feeder is a bad thing.  Need the cap room to make the right improvements when there is enough emerging talent (see the McBeane plan).  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

True, and spending to the cap for a bottom feeder is a bad thing.  Need the cap room to make the right improvements when there is enough emerging talent (see the McBeane plan).  

This isn't football. Stop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't football. Stop. 

No.  There is nothing wrong with what I said.  If you have a bottom five roster why purposely spend to the cap if you don’t have to.  Fill the cap space when it is going to truly impact the team.  

I’ll reference football if it helps make a point.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

No.  There is nothing wrong with what I said.  If you have a bottom five roster why purposely spend to the cap if you don’t have to.  Fill the cap space when it is going to truly impact the team.  

I’ll reference football if it helps make a point.   

It didn't make your point. The Bills added multiple important pieces via ufa. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Also:  What team is going to allow disc replacement surgery?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No it doesn't. In fact we've heard multiple reports a deal isn't done because Adams won't lower the price. 

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is another way of looking at the Jack value chart. The multiple reports are that other teams haven't as yet increased their price offer to fall within the Sabres'  acceptable range. That is the right strategy to take when you have the player in question under contract. I have no problem with the way Adams is handling this issue.   

Minnesota makes so much sense for both sides.

Michael Russo who covers them for the Athletic has reported Minnesota wouldn’t be adverse to allowing Him to have the procedure and if the Sabres would take the 10 million in salary back the deal would probably be done. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Michael Russo who covers them for the Athletic has reported Minnesota wouldn’t be adverse to allowing Him to have the procedure and if the Sabres would take the 10 million in salary back the deal would probably be done. 

Just take the $10 freaking million back then.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would be happy with a Minnesota deal, especially if it included Rossi. And if it were required I would want the Sabres to take back money in order to get this deal done. But my sense (my opinion) is that financial considerations are being required by the ownership when these deals are made. I'm hoping that a reasonable deal for Jack can get done and everyone can move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, freester said:

The last thing we need is another bad contract like Skinner or Okposo.  No way are we retaining significant dollars on Jacks contract

Nobody is saying retain anything. We're saying give us Minnesota contracts that add to $10m that come off in the next year or so. Cap dump onto the Sabres from the Wild

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Just take the $10 freaking million back then.

If what is reported is true and the Sabres are unwilling to take back some money then the owner is undercutting his own franchise. It's short-sighted and maddening. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Nobody is saying retain anything. We're saying give us Minnesota contracts that add to $10m that come off in the next year or so. Cap dump onto the Sabres from the Wild

a one year dump is different than a Skinner dump.  It all depends what dump is coming back

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

If what is reported is true and the Sabres are unwilling to take back some money then the owner is undercutting his own franchise. It's short-sighted and maddening. 

If that's true, which I'm not sure it is, then it sounds a lot more like Pegulas are selling the team. Owners that sell teams always move the biggest contracts they have away from the team to make it more attractive to potential buyers.

Just now, freester said:

a one year dump is different than a Skinner dump.  It all depends what dump is coming back

Well yeah, nobody wants a Skinner contract coming back.

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Do you think the LA deal includes Turcotte or not?  It’s not clear to me.  

I meet a Sabres FO employee (business development side) yesterday. We talked a lot.  I was surprised at the very negative opinion of Jack as a person and a leader.  Actually more shocked that he would share it.  He said the negative opinion is pretty much league wide (including Boston) but Eichel’s talent cannot be denied.  He reinforced the desire to see him go very soon because of his unhappiness and attitude.  This is not consistent with my prior postings where I thought he would behave if a deal couldn’t be made, at least until the time one could be made. 

I don’t have a very good feeling on this trade for Buffalo.   The other teams have the injury and Jack’s attitude (desire to leave) as leverage.  Adams is in a tough spot.  

I have a friend that 'knows' people with the Sabres. Apparently when RK was fired and Granato took over, the Sabres asked Jack, who was in Florida at the time, to come back to Buffalo to show support and give good PR to be around the team. He said no, at that point, they decided he's a goner.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, WildCard said:

If that's true, which I'm not sure it is, then it sounds a lot more like Pegula's are selling the team. Owners that sell teams always move the biggest contracts they have away from the team to make it more attractive to potential buyers.

I just don't know. The Sabres have been bad for so long. Not doing something that is reasonable to make your term better for the near future is aggravating. On the other hand as you point out we don't know if the report is true or not. 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What else was in the deal though?  I think that’s the important question.  $10M (Dumba+Rask), a 1st and a B prospect?

Is that the sort of deal he means?

Edited by Curt

Just now, WildCard said:

If that's true, which I'm not sure it is, then it sounds a lot more like Pegula's are selling the team. Owners that sell teams always move the biggest contracts they have away from the team to make it more attractive to potential buyers.

Interesting because after these recent moves I briefly thought this is what an ownership would do if they were preparing to sell. I doubt they are but this wou!d line up.

Rossi, Addison and a first would do it for me.

Rossi would compete with Cozens and Mitts and the Sabres would have a solid C core in a year or two. Rossi and Quinn know each other well and could be a good pairing.

Addison is a RHD which is a need now that Montour and Risto are gone.

Extra pick(s) either way could balance this out. I would love to add Foligno as well but he is a big part of their club.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

THEN ***** TAKE BACK THE MONEY SO WE CAN MAXIMIZE THE TRADE.

Jesus Christ I don't know how TPegs made money in the oil and gas industry.  Yes, you want Eichel gone, but don't be so pig headed to exclude cash coming back on the deal.  It increases your return.  Probably dramatically in a flat salary cap era.  If you give Jack away you will continue being a bottom feeder and the building will be empty.  Take some cash back in the deal to maximize the return and maybe within 2-3 years the core and foundation is here to start winning sustainably which will in turn line your pockets. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This times 100000000%.

Short sighted and it's going to bite them in the ass the EXACT same way it did with ROR.  Like, did we just go through that situation and saw exactly how well it played out for the Sabres.  Unbelievable if this is true.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If that's true, which I'm not sure it is, then it sounds a lot more like Pegulas are selling the team. Owners that sell teams always move the biggest contracts they have away from the team to make it more attractive to potential buyers.

Well yeah, nobody wants a Skinner contract coming back.

As long as they stay in Buffalo I would so welcome an ownership change.

• Like (+1) 2