Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

55 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

"They wouldn’t comment further about Eichel’s status. He’s skating, but it’s believed he will still need surgery — although the Sabres haven’t approved his preferred choice, a disc replacement."

What team is trading us legit value with this situation?

You've got to be kidding me

What team is trading anything close to worthwhile value for this?   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The spoiled child was promised he would get what he wanted if he behaved, but it’s already past lunchtime and it hasn’t happened yet. He’s starting to get angry.

It pretty hard not to see this quote as anything but ^^^^

“just take what they are ***** offering you Kevyn, you little *****! For ***** sakes! I want it now!”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

"They wouldn’t comment further about Eichel’s status. He’s skating, but it’s believed he will still need surgery — although the Sabres haven’t approved his preferred choice, a disc replacement."

What team is trading us legit value with this situation?

You've got to be kidding me

Also:  What team is going to allow disc replacement surgery?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The spoiled child was promised he would get what he wanted if he behaved, but it’s already past lunchtime and it hasn’t happened yet. He’s starting to get angry.

It pretty hard not to see this quote as anything but ^^^^

“just take what they are ***** offering you Kevyn, you little *****! For ***** sakes! I want it now!”

Did Jack kick your dog?  I thought he was a dog owner or something.  

1 minute ago, SabresVet said:

Did Jack kick your dog?  I thought he was a dog owner or something.  

Nope, but he is kicking my hockey team.

The team may have earned the kicking, but they’re still mine.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nope, but he is kicking my hockey team.

The team may have earned the kicking, but they’re still mine.

There isn't one fan here who would work for a company that's on the fast track to going out of business.  Even if, as an employee, you had stock in the company.

I see a lot of people wanting this to just be over.  It will be, but as the inevitable forms where the rebuild is going, I'm willing to wait patiently.  

The back and forth unfolding between Adams/the team, other prospective trade partners, and Eichel's camp must continue.  That's how deals go down.

Still, unless Buffalo starts getting some executive decisions right, there'll be more players wanting out.  It is impossible to win in pro sports without outstanding management and the jury's out on whether that in place.    

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Yeah I'm kind of getting to that point too.  He wants to play somewhere else but he has a lot of term left and all this hand wringing about how he will act if he has to stay at some point is baloney. If Eichel wants his entire career to be remembered as petulant sulking then he can do that. Go ahead. Cash your checks, be an ass, and be remembered for that forever because there is NOBODY who will look at this through the lens of history and blame the Sabres when they handed the guy the contract they did, that he voluntarily chose to sign, and then refused to trade him away. 

It's a giant game of chicken and so long as Terry is willing to write the checks Kevyn holds the leverage. Though, I suspect Terry doesn't want to write those checks which is why we are here in the first place.

He's already writing huge cheques for Skinner and getting nothing for it so I can't blame him for wanting to shed big payouts to people who aren't really into being here. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Yeah I'm kind of getting to that point too.  He wants to play somewhere else but he has a lot of term left and all this hand wringing about how he will act if he has to stay at some point is baloney. If Eichel wants his entire career to be remembered as petulant sulking then he can do that. Go ahead. Cash your checks, be an ass, and be remembered for that forever because there is NOBODY who will look at this through the lens of history and blame the Sabres when they handed the guy the contract they did, that he voluntarily chose to sign, and then refused to trade him away. 

It's a giant game of chicken and so long as Terry is willing to write the checks Kevyn holds the leverage. Though, I suspect Terry doesn't want to write those checks which is why we are here in the first place.

You’ve obviously forgotten about Hasek and how he bulled his way out of town.  Hasek was worse than this and he’s still revered.

I could develop the same level of disdain as I did for Hasek if this continues.

So I'm going to waste some time and brain up some trade packages for the teams mentioned at the forefront of this Eichel stuff tonight - based on the "2022 first-round pick ... at least one top prospect and two young, NHL-proven players." Price reported by David Pagnotta. I don't believe they get those four. I believe they get three and then some salaries to match. I'm not going to dive into the salaries to match and focus on the young pieces. In many of these deals we'll likely need to add a young NHL body like Olofsson or someone similiar.

Calgary Flames (mentioned in Friedman & Pagnotta's reports)

2022 First From Calgary (no protection)

Top prospects: C Connor Zary or C/LW Jakob Pelletier

NHL-proven players: C Dillon Dube, LW Matthew Tkachuk, LHD Noah Hanifin, LHD Jusso Valimaki

Final deal: 2022 First, Connor Zary, Matthew Tkachuk

Logic: This feels like too steep of a price to expect Calgary to pay but it's hard to get a mix that makes sense without these three piece. Tkachuk means no veteran salary dumps needed. Monahan doesn't make sense because he's likely aging out of what they want (I'm only doing players under 25). They won't move Hanifin. If you swap in Dube for Tkachuk then you're going to need to add one of Valimaki or Pelletier and some salary.

Anaheim Ducks (mentioned in both reports)

2022 First From Anaheim (no protection)

Top prospects: C Trevor Zegras, C Mason McTavish, D Jamie Drysdale

Young, NHL-proven players: LW Max Comtois, RW Troy Terry, C Sam Steel, C Isac Lundestrom, LW Max Jones

Final deal: 2022 First, Max Comtois, Mason McTavish

Logic: Anaheim would also need to mix and match salaries and I highly doubt they trade a player they just loved enough to take third overall, but I don't see Zegras or Drysdale being involved. If they were this deal would be done already. I don't think Anaheim is willing to pay the price it would take. (Yes, I'm aware I was loose with "NHL-proven" here).

Los Angeles Kings (mentioned in Pagnotta's but not Friedman's report)

2022 First From Los Angeles (no protection)

Top prospects: C Quinton Byfield, C Alex Turcotte, RW Arthur Kaliyev, C Rasmus Kupari, RHD Brandt Clarke, RHD Brock Faber

Young, NHL-proven players: RW Carl Grundstrom, C Adrian Kempe, C Gabe Vilardi, LHD Tobias Bjornfot

Final deal: 2022 First, Brock Faber, Adrian Kempe, Alex Turcotte

Logic: This deal feels closest to reality because it doesn't even touch LA's top two in Byfield and Turcotte and builds on a young C, a more "veteran" C and a RHD which the team needs more of. This deal feels the most fulfilling from a team-building perspective.

Minnesota Wild (mentioned in Friedman's report, Pagnotta says he thinks they're not willing)

2022 First From Minnesota (no protection)

Top prospects: C Marco Rossi, LW Matthew Boldy, RHD Calen Addison

Young, NHL-proven players: C Joel Eriksson Ek, LW Jordan Greenway

Final deal: 2022 First, Marco Rossi, Calen Addison

Logic: I don't expect the Sabres to get both Rossi AND Boldy in this deal even though that's probably the fanbase's biggest hope in any of these deals. Addison gives them an NHL-ready RHD prospect and with Minnesota tearing down their roster a bit that 2022 first rounder could be worth a lot. The salaries with the Wild are the most interesting ones because they don't have bad contracts left. That means whoever is added (Fiala/Dumba) would either have an impact in our lineup or be flipped for additional assets.

Las Vegas Golden Knights (mentioned in Pagnotta's reporter, not Friedman's)

2022 First From Las Vegas (no protection)

Top Prospects: C Peyton Krebs

Young, NHL-proven players: LHD Nicolas Hague, C Nolan Patrick

Final deal: 2022 First, Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch

Logic: Okay, Tuch didn't make my qualification of under 25 but I'll allow him to slide in as the young, NHL-proven player here. This deal doesn't feel great overall simply because that first round pick isn't worth much. Financially and asset wise Vegas doesn't make much sense ... I also don't think they can just keep getting rid of all their prospects and first round picks in every draft.

Ultimately, I think chances are this deal gets done and their one or two pieces that are considered "centerpieces" that I don't list here and that we haven't really clamored for. Those pieces will be sold as great pieces, either out of desperation or because the Sabres front office actually believes in those pieces. I think we get a resolution soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, Weave said:

You’ve obviously forgotten about Hasek and how he bulled his way out of town.  Hasek was worse than this and he’s still revered.

I could develop the same level of disdain as I did for Hasek if this continues.

I don’t think the level of accomplishment and success is comparable between Hasek and Eichel.

Hasek is revered because he was the best player in the league for a good stretch.  6 Vezinas, 2 Harts and a couple deep playoff runs in an 8 year period.

Eichel has an 8th place in Hart voting season and missed the playoffs every  year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2622937

I had a pseudo-3way trade with CGY and MIN.

CGY has room for Eichel, so Zary, Dube, Monahan and a Top 10 protected 1st works.

MIN needs a skilled center but lacks cap, send them Monahan (2.35mil retention) for Rask, Rossi, and a 3rd

Send the 3rd back to CGY.

Monahan is barely an asset right now. You’re not getting Rossi for Monahan. Not even close.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

So I'm going to waste some time and brain up some trade packages for the teams mentioned at the forefront of this Eichel stuff tonight - based on the "2022 first-round pick ... at least one top prospect and two young, NHL-proven players." Price reported by David Pagnotta. I don't believe they get those four. I believe they get three and then some salaries to match. I'm not going to dive into the salaries to match and focus on the young pieces. In many of these deals we'll likely need to add a young NHL body like Olofsson or someone similiar.

NHL-proven players: C Dillon Dube, LW Matthew Tkachuk, LHD Noah Hanifin, LHD Jusso Valimaki

Logic: This feels like too steep of a price to expect Calgary to pay but it's hard to get a mix that makes sense without these three piece. Tkachuk means no veteran salary dumps needed. Monahan doesn't make sense because he's likely aging out of what they want (I'm only doing players under 25). They won't move Hanifin. If you swap in Dube for Tkachuk then you're going to need to add one of Valimaki or Pelletier and some salary.

Young, NHL-proven players: LW Max Comtois, RW Troy Terry, C Sam Steel, C Isac Lundestrom, LW Max Jones

Logic: Anaheim would also need to mix and match salaries and I highly doubt they trade a player they just loved enough to take third overall, but I don't see Zegras or Drysdale being involved. If they were this deal would be done already. I don't think Anaheim is willing to pay the price it would take. (Yes, I'm aware I was loose with "NHL-proven" here).

Top prospects: C Quinton Byfield, C Alex Turcotte, RW Arthur Kaliyev, C Rasmus Kupari, RHD Brandt Clarke, RHD Brock Faber

Young, NHL-proven players: RW Carl Grundstrom, C Adrian Kempe, C Gabe Vilardi, LHD Tobias Bjornfot

Logic: This deal feels closest to reality because it doesn't even touch LA's top two in Byfield and Turcotte and builds on a young C, a more "veteran" C and a RHD which the team needs more of. This deal feels the most fulfilling from a team-building perspective.

Minnesota Wild (mentioned in Friedman's report, Pagnotta says he thinks they're not willing)

Logic: I don't expect the Sabres to get both Rossi AND Boldy in this deal even though that's probably the fanbase's biggest hope in any of these deals. Addison gives them an NHL-ready RHD prospect and with Minnesota tearing down their roster a bit that 2022 first rounder could be worth a lot. The salaries with the Wild are the most interesting ones because they don't have bad contracts left. That means whoever is added (Fiala/Dumba) would either have an impact in our lineup or be flipped for additional assets.

Logic: Okay, Tuch didn't make my qualification of under 25 but I'll allow him to slide in as the young, NHL-proven player here. This deal doesn't feel great overall simply because that first round pick isn't worth much. Financially and asset wise Vegas doesn't make much sense ... I also don't think they can just keep getting rid of all their prospects and first round picks in every draft.

Ultimately, I think chances are this deal gets done and their one or two pieces that are considered "centerpieces" that I don't list here and that we haven't really clamored for. Those pieces will be sold as great pieces, either out of desperation or because the Sabres front office actually believes in those pieces. I think we get a resolution soon.

Excellent job. The return on Jack seems to be declining. There are a lot of realistic trade possibilities that you listed. The absolute minimum return needs to include a potential 1C player such as Rossi from Minn. and Turcotte from LA. I would love to have Anaheim's Zegras but not sure he is attainable. That is the floor that needs to be met. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Excellent job. The return on Jack seems to be declining. There are a lot of realistic trade possibilities that you listed. The absolute minimum return needs to include a potential 1C player such as Rossi from Minn. and Turcotte from LA. I would love to have Anaheim's Zegras but not sure he is attainable. That is the floor that needs to be met. 

No it doesn't. In fact we've heard multiple reports a deal isn't done because Adams won't lower the price. 

• Like (+1) 3

Unless there is relatively certainty about Jack's injury and the path forward, we're not getting a bona fide 1C back  We might get an experienced C that we play on the first line, but he won't be 1C caliber.

This may or may not be okay.  If Jack's injury means he will never be the player he was, getting anything, anything at all, back from the salary dump of his contract will be worth it.

One of the biggest worries I have is that Buffalo takes on some of Jack's salary to get the deal done.  There's too much term left for that.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it doesn't. In fact we've heard multiple reports a deal isn't done because Adams won't lower the price. 

There is another way of looking at the Jack value chart. The multiple reports are that other teams haven't as yet increased their price offer to fall within the Sabres'  acceptable range. That is the right strategy to take when you have the player in question under contract. I have no problem with the way Adams is handling this issue.   

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Unless there is relatively certainty about Jack's injury and the path forward, we're not getting a bona fide 1C back  We might get an experienced C that we play on the first line, but he won't be 1C caliber.

This may or may not be okay.  If Jack's injury means he will never be the player he was, getting anything, anything at all, back from the salary dump of his contract will be worth it.

One of the biggest worries I have is that Buffalo takes on some of Jack's salary to get the deal done.  There's too much term left for that.

I highly doubt that the Sabres will take back any of Jack's salary if/when dealt. The appeal of Jack for teams interested in him is that he still has plenty of term left. So there will be little worry about keeping him in the fold for the near future. My understanding of what is happening in the Pegula owned team that money considerations are very much being factored in hockey decisions, at least for right now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Do you think the LA deal includes Turcotte or not?  It’s not clear to me.  

I meet a Sabres FO employee (business development side) yesterday. We talked a lot.  I was surprised at the very negative opinion of Jack as a person and a leader.  Actually more shocked that he would share it.  He said the negative opinion is pretty much league wide (including Boston) but Eichel’s talent cannot be denied.  He reinforced the desire to see him go very soon because of his unhappiness and attitude.  This is not consistent with my prior postings where I thought he would behave if a deal couldn’t be made, at least until the time one could be made. 

I don’t have a very good feeling on this trade for Buffalo.   The other teams have the injury and Jack’s attitude (desire to leave) as leverage.  Adams is in a tough spot.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I highly doubt that the Sabres will take back any of Jack's salary if/when dealt. The appeal of Jack for teams interested in him is that he still has plenty of term left. So there will be little worry about keeping him in the fold for the near future. My understanding of what is happening in the Pegula owned team that money considerations are very much being factored in hockey decisions, at least for right now. 

I expect our cap will be at or near the floor.  The Pegulas have lost large sums of money on the Sabres and know they won't be winning this year regardless of what is spent.