Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Who is also injured, has only topped 80 points once in his career.  His career BEST finish in the scoring race was 10th, and has never been on-led his team to the playoffs.  I'm not saying he is bad, but many people on this forum treat him as a top 5 player in the league.  That he is not.

A player “leading his team to the playoffs“ is one of the biggest piles of doggie doo fan fiction out there. 

Hockey isn’t basketball. A single player, not even the greatest talent in the league, can’t do that by themselves.

• Like (+1) 7

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Who is also injured, has only topped 80 points once in his career.  His career BEST finish in the scoring race was 10th, and has never been on-led his team to the playoffs.  I'm not saying he is bad, but many people on this forum treat him as a top 5 player in the league.  That he is not.

Also, it should be pointed out he had 78 in 68 games before the covid shut down. 80 was guaranteed and his pace was for 94. You can't hold that against him. 

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

A player “leading his team to the playoffs“ is one of the biggest piles of doggie doo fan fiction out there. 

Hockey isn’t basketball. A single player, not even the greatest talent in the league, can’t do that by themselves.

Agree. Maybe once in a generation one of the best goalies of all time can come the closest to satisfying that criteria

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Also, it should be pointed out he had 78 in 68 games before the covid shut down. 80 was guaranteed and his pace was for 94. You can't hold that against him. 

Agree. Maybe once in a generation one of the best goalies of all time can come the closest to satisfying that criteria

I have no issues with that caveat. I really wasn’t thinking about goalies, only people that can affect the ice 20 minutes per game.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

You hang up on them if Suzuki isn't in the deal like we did with NYR when they offered nobody worth a damn imo. STick with the 4 assets since we don't have to trade Eichel even though I hope we do if the return helps this franchise.

There is no chance they offer Suzuki or Caulfield. I think a reasonable return would be KK, Primeau, Romanov, 2022 1st round and a cap dump like Drouin or Byrom 

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

And even in basketball it’s incredibly rare, taking all-time greats to accomplish it. It takes a village, they say.

47 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm still confused on how. He's a much better player than what he returned. Was it the RFA status?

I think the Samson deal was a good young piece away from being good. The argument for it appears to be that RFAs don’t hold a ton of value compared to the player they are. If we had Buchnevich and made THAT deal I’d have thrown something.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

But the other points still apply.  Meaning, it doesn't change that he is not a top 3, or top 5 player in the NHL. He is top 20.  Maybe top 5 in TALENT, but we have had enough of a sample size to now see he is not a 'dominant' NHL player....dominant AT TIMES, yes, but so are about 20 other NHL players.

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You say this because you don't know Jack (see what I did there?)  Seriously, we don't know the relationships between Jack and the Sabres right now.  Everyone assumes it's toxic.  Even if he wants a trade, he might be able to see the value in being a good citizen (a la Reinhart) and give his best to the team in an effort to maximize his return and actually enable a trade.  KA has his finger on that pulse no doubt.  We all want this to be over and to move on, but really unless KA can't get back an equitable return it makes sense to hang onto the asset.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this I guess. imo trading Sam seals the fate of things. It punctuates the idea this is a rebuild (and Jack has said he does not want to go through a rebuild) and it provides him with an opportunity to save his image by focusing on that point ahead of the disconnect (which I still think was fabricated for that reason). So far he has not lost his love or stated definitively he wants out, but if we don't move him soon I'm pretty sure that's coming and the NMC will be a diminishing return deadline much like ROR's bonus payment was.  We wait until the season starts and I'm sure we will get less for him than we will now,

They need to find the teams with assets/prospects that are in a hurry to win now and make the deal. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I imagine they've all know for months and their patience is at an end

Ya, but just the bit about it being the "near future", because of that impatience

Adams was attempting to give off the "oh there's no rush" vibe, in contrast 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, but just the bit about it being the "near future", because of that impatience

Adams was attempting to give off the "oh there's no rush" vibe, in contrast 

It definitely doesn't help us. Unless some team feels like they're gonna miss out and caves to Adams demand. 

• Like (+1) 1