Ralph Krueger: Bad Coach or Bad Person

SDS

Was Ralph Krueger a bad coach, bad person or both?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Was Ralph Krueger a bad coach, bad person or both?

• Bad coach
    • Bad person
    • Both
    • Neither

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

For me - it was constantly parading cody eakin out there even though it was like 100% clear that he was the worst player on the ice every night.

I am 100% convinced that Eakin is on the team because RK wanted him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Ralph was the de facto AGM when he was here. 

If he would have kept his coaching position and maintained his influence he would set this franchise back for years. The only positive takeaway with his disastrous stint this year is that it allowed/forced the organization to give playing time to the youngsters and and give it a better ability to evaluate them. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If he would have kept his coaching position and maintained his influence he would set this franchise back for years. The only positive takeaway with his disastrous stint this year is that it allowed/forced the organization to give playing time to the youngsters and and give it a better ability to evaluate them. 

I think that was more on injuries and Covid forcing them into playing the youngsters. 

Both Granato benching Eakin and Irwin speaks volumes for Granato though 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:25 AM, LabattBlue said:

Yeah...but has he ever pocketed a handful of sugar packets?

I see what you did there.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, Kong said:

It wasn't Krueger's fault that he was a silver-tongued devil,  he interviewed well and demanded a three year 3.7 million contract even though he only had twenty games of experience as an NHL coach. It wasn't his fault at all. No, it was all the Pegulas' fault. Funny enough, Krueger's story mirrors the influence that Rasputin had over the Romanovs. https://oldspirituals.com/2015/04/12/rasputin-influence-romanovs/

O.U.C.H. That's brutal.

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I think that was more on injuries and Covid forcing them into playing the youngsters. 

Both Granato benching Eakin and Irwin speaks volumes for Granato though 

I agree with you that injuries and Covid were factors in playing younger players but contend they were not the main factors when the coaching change was made to go younger. Krueger was much more reluctant to play younger players because of their proclivity to make mistakes. Under Krueger Cozens and Mitts were often watching the games from the team suite.  In comparison, Granato believed that making mistakes and learning from them is an essential part of the process in player development. 

Let's put this excruciating season in context: From a playoff and standing standpoint when Granato took over it was a lost cost. Scraping for a few extra points was meaningless when the hole that the Krueger regime had us in was so deep that it was impossible to come close to climb out. In a fast fading season player assessment was as important, if not more so,  as the record. The front office has a lot of decisions to make this offseason. By playing the younger it has a better sense of what they have and don't have in the youth cupboard.  

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/how-to-ruin-a-player

Dumb teams:

Fixate on weaknesses at the expense of leveraging strengths

Spend valuable time & energy attempting to influence low-frequency, low-value skills

Double down on poor process by accusing the player of being uncooperative

Strip down the player’s unique identity, then sell him/her at a discount

His first example, Rasmus Dahlin. A player so good that it took more effort for Krueger to brake him then to make him better. 

There's not a lot else in there so don't feel like you have to click on the link. 

• SDS locked this topic