Friedman on WGR, 4/15

LGR4GM

This is a good listen and covers Eichel and a possible trade scenario. Basically the Sabres have gauged the Eichel market and the Rangers at the very least put forward an offer for Jack. Also discusses Karmanos who "had options" other than the Sabres. Also Marty asked Friedman about Karmanos with Analytics. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

This is a good listen and covers Eichel and a possible trade scenario. Basically the Sabres have gauged the Eichel market and the Rangers at the very least put forward an offer for Jack. Also discusses Karmanos who "had options" other than the Sabres. Also Marty asked Friedman about Karmanos with Analytics. 

After hearing that on top of the rest of the Eichel whispers, my impression is evolving from "the Sabres will keep Eichel unless he wants out" to "the Sabres will look to trade Eichel unless he's all in."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

After hearing that on top of the rest of the Eichel whispers, my impression is evolving from "the Sabres will keep Eichel unless he wants out" to "the Sabres will look to trade Eichel unless he's all in."

Well that certainly isn't good. He's our most important player and we can't lose him pretty much regardless or else we'll be looking at another 3+ years of no playoffs and disappointment while watching another ROR situation play out. (Even if we get good value for Eichel)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well that certainly isn't good. He's our most important player and we can't lose him pretty much regardless or else we'll be looking at another 3+ years of no playoffs and disappointment while watching another ROR situation play out. (Even if we get good value for Eichel)

While I do not want to trade Eichel, I do not, for a second, believe this is the inevitable result.

• Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As it should be.  I know others disagree, but I question Eichel's "all in".  I don't even blame him for it.  It's got to be difficult dealing with what he has playing for this organization and all the losing and dysfunction   I know it's difficult for me to handle 😁

The injury creates issues though in trading him.  It would have to be at the deadline next year after he's proven he's healthy enough.  They won't get value for him this offseason.

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why wouldn’t you make this a new topic? I don’t see the benefit in digging up a month old topic to add a reply.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think this is great to hear.  We need him to be all in or find someone who is.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

This is not inevitable.  The team does not have to revolve around any one player.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I’m with @dudacek and @Weave

The fortunes of a team do not revolve around one player.  In hockey, less so than any other sport.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Granato seems a good bet to be coach me thinks 

• LGR4GM changed the title to Friedman on WGR, 4/15
3 hours ago, dudacek said:

While I do not want to trade Eichel, I do not, for a second, believe this is the inevitable result.

Just the likely one 

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

FTR I don’t see him ever saying he wants out.  He wants to win. Period. With this rebuilding team (find that quote, he said it). 

Another year of this crap maybe but IMO not happening in 01-02

Exactly. Maybe in another year right in time for that nmc 

But I also have no doubt he'll be raring to stay if we can field a winning team 

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

FTR I don’t see him ever saying he wants out.  He wants to win. Period. With this rebuilding team (find that quote, he said it). 

Another year of this crap maybe but IMO not happening in 01-02

This. He loves the city and the Pegulas. They may mutually decide to part ways if next year doesn't go well but......

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I don’t trade Eichel after the NMC regardless. I’m not going to take a pittance or give him to a rival. In the end if he wants a trade he can either accept what we deem is the best offer for us, play for us anyway, or sit out the remaining 4 years.

Sounds tough, and maybe that’s what you would do, but in the real life NHL, 0% chance such a situation is handled that way, by any NHL team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I kind of agree.  Not that he made it sound definite, or even likely, but it sounded like a realistic possibility.

38 minutes ago, Curt said:

I kind of agree.  Not that he made it sound definite, or even likely, but it sounded like a realistic possibility.

Recently according to Friedman Dahlin was listed as an untouchable and not Eichel, by KA

Telling, to me as you’d generally pay your 10 mil per captain the lip service at the very least 

• Like (+1) 1

It might make sense for both parties to part ways at this point; he wants to win now and is the face of our franchise. There is and has been something wrong in the locker room for a very long time. Not saying it is him, just like it wasn’t ROR, or any one player. But a reset seems to be in order. If we can get great trade value for him next trade deadline (players not prospects), I can see it happening. Nothing says reset like moving the captain. 

Edited by I-90 W

12 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

It might make sense for both parties to part ways at this point; he wants to win now and is the face of our franchise. There is and has been something wrong in the locker room for a very long time. Not saying it is him, just like it wasn’t ROR, or any one player. But a reset seems to be in order. If we can get great trade value for him next trade deadline (players not prospects), I can see it happening. Nothing says reset like moving the captain. 

So let's say we're a playoff team at the deadline, you trading Eichel?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.