Defense Next Year 2021-22

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes because you can rotate guys in. Also will push them to be better and if you want to send them down you can. 

If they're rotating guys in, it's likely neither kid is playing his way into the lineup.  

Don't forget, the sophomore slump is real & that's where Bryson might be heading this coming year.

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Rasmus Ristolainen to start the season:

10 GP 2/4/6/+2

Rasmus Ristolainen recovering from Covid:

17 GP 1/1/2/-12

Rasmus Ristolainen since:

10 GP 1/5/6/+9

Sabres record when Risto was recovering from Covid:

0/15/2

Sabres record in the 20 games bracketing Covid:

9/7/4

Correlation/causation? I don’t have a clue.

But damned interesting nonetheless.

Hmm...

No one biting on this at all?

Did anyone hear Donnie G talking up Ristolainen's game post-game tonight, about how he did such a great job mentoring Bryson that they were confident he's the right guy to do it again for Samuelsson?

Am I the only one who feels Risto has been taking the "A" on his chest very seriously, or is noticing that this is the first time in his career he looks to be finishing up the year on a strong note?

With exception of his bout of COVID, I think Risto has played good, useful hockey for the past two years now, and when passing judgement, too many people are focused on what he was rather than what he has become.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hmm...

Did anyone hear Donnie G talking up Ristolainen's game post-game tonight, about how he did such a great job mentoring Bryson that they were confident he's the right guy to do it again for Samuelsson?

Am I the only one who feels Risto has been taking the "A" on his chest very seriously, or is noticing that this is the first time in his career he looks to be finishing up the year on a strong note?

With exception of his bout of COVID, I think Risto has played good, useful hockey for the past two years now, and when passing judgement, too many people are focused on what he was rather than what he has become.

I listened to the Pittsburgh broadcast and like most opposing broadcast teams they were extremely complementary of Risto’s play.  Replaying some of his harder hits against.  They are abundantly knowledgeable about his historical poor analytics and career plus minus, but they maintain any coach would love to have him.  Should be an interesting summer.  Based on the Seattle thread I have come to believe he and Miller should be exposed, for no other reason than what WB could become under our control and the contribution over the next 3+ years vs one year of Risto.  Makes me sad but perhaps...

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hmm...

I've said for a while that Risto is part of the solution.  His play turned a corner when RK came to town.  He might be the only one to truly benefit for RK presence.  I'm also not surprised he is taking the leadership role seriously.  I think he takes hockey and life seriously.  Just watch his work outs.  He remembers what it was like to be a kid thrust on to a losing Sabres team.  He probably didn't get the mentoring he needed then (either did Zadorov) and doesn't want these kids to suffer the same fate.

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, that’s what I said.  A vet LD (McCabe or someone else), then one of Bryson/Samuelsson in the NHL, the other in the AHL.  Then have a cheap experienced 7th D who hardly plays.  When you need another LD, don’t play the 7th D, call up Bryson/Samuelsson.

To likely replace McCabe. I'm good with keeping him, but ya having that 4th guy ready to step up is necessary considering how injury prone McCabe is

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Or it is a trial to see how badly we need Borgen.  It might not be McCabe that gets moved on from.  It might be Borgen.  Similar games.

As a related point, if Sammy doesn't make KA feel like Sammy can play regularly in the NHL next year, that would probably make KA more inclined to pay Seattle not to take Borgen.

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As a related point, if Sammy doesn't make KA feel like Sammy can play regularly in the NHL next year, that would probably make KA more inclined to pay Seattle not to take Borgen.

Borgens going to have about 20 games of experience when its all said and done.  Whether he stays or goes, i don't think he's penciled in buffalo's top 6.  He should be exposed, and if he's not taken he will likely have his work cut out for him be it with competition from Miller, or someone else buffalo signs.  

Risto-joki-miller is the top 3 RHD at the moment, and I'd be aggressive trying to acquire a new one.  If you do, you can either stash miller or buy him out.  

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Regarding Borgen...I wonder if Adams and Co. are planning on not playing Borgen for the last 10 games, hoping that if they leave him unprotected, because of the small sample size of games, Seattle passes on him.

Wishful thinking on my part?

I'd play him to see if he's worth being a part of buffalo moving forward.  They can always trade him too.  

Next Year - 

First Pair - McCabe and Ristolainen - McCabe will be in demand around the league for his defensive capabilities and touch of offense, so we should sign him quick.  Top shut down defenseman and effective leader.  Ristolainen is offensive, hits hard and is rounding the corner into a leader.  DO NOT GET RID OF HIM. He is an excellent asset.

Next pair - Dahlin and Jokiharju or Borgen - Dahlin and Borgen seem a natural yin and yang but Joker and Dahlin seem to work well together. 

Bottom three - Samuelson, Bryson and Joker or Borgen.  This is seven D, which you will at least need to get through a season (plus at least one more as an eighth D.)

Feel like this is a playoff Defense.  

On 4/19/2021 at 12:00 AM, dudacek said:

Hmm...

If Granato fixed Risto, make him coach for life. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.