Seattle Expansion Protection List

sweetlou

I've read and done a great deal of debate of forwards exposed and whether it should be Asplund, Thompson, Bjork, Girgensons, etc.

The answer I've landed on, is pay a 2nd-3rd pick and keep them all. I'd much rather have Tage Thompson than Boston's 2nd pick in this super volatile draft.

Adams should be on that wavelength too. Pay in extra futures accrued to protect your current growing core, because we don't know who's a flash and who's a keeper yet.

Edited by Gabrielor

2 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

I've read and done a great deal of debate of forwards exposed and whether it should be Asplund, Thompson, Bjork, Girgensons, etc.

The answer I've landed on, is pay a 2nd-3rd pick and keep them all. I'd much rather have Tage Thompson than Boston's 2nd pick in this super volatile draft.

Adams should be on that wavelength too. Pay in extra futures accrued to protect your current growing core, because we don't know who's a flash and who's a keeper yet.

I wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder to acquire a Bjork, so I'm not trading one to keep him.

We are going to lose a useful but replaceable NHL player. I'll pay a 3rd to control which one that is.

Otherwise I take my chances and sign another Bjork or Borgen in free agency.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder to acquire a Bjork, so I'm not trading one to keep him.

We are going to lose a useful but replaceable NHL player. I'll pay a 3rd to control which one that is.

When's the last time we've signed a Bjork or Borgen in Free Agency?

We routinely get Benoit Pouliot's and Seth Griffith's, and then we draft Connor Hurley's and Vaclav Karabacek's with late 2nds.

I prefer the known, and while may not last this high in the lineup, I have infinitely more faith in him than the dice roll of the 50th pick in this draft, 4 years from now.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would pay a 3rd for them to take Miller.

Other than that, Risto and Miller are exposed.

I am worried about Tage’s Lack of Finishing Ability. Not sure which forward I would expose though. 

12 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

When's the last time we've signed a Bjork or Borgen in Free Agency?

I guess it depends on what you think of the players, but bottom-half of the roster players are available every year, and probably pretty cheap this year, considering the flat cap. We signed Zemgus a few days prior to free agency not even a year ago, which I see as pretty equivalent to Bjork.

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would pay a 3rd for them to take Miller.

Other than that, Risto and Miller are exposed.

I am worried about Tage’s Lack of Finishing Ability. Not sure which forward I would expose though. 

Tage is the guy I have the most questions about (he's always slow to read the transition play, he think he has way more time with the puck than he does, and he can't finish despite a killer shot), but there's enough that I'd still rather keep him, especially on that contract.

19 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Tage is the guy I have the most questions about (he's always slow to read the transition play, he think he has way more time with the puck than he does, and he can't finish despite a killer shot), but there's enough that I'd still rather keep him, especially on that contract.

He is a cement head.  His awareness sux. He has one attribute that others do not have yet he plays like he is the size of R2.  Asplund and R2 and even Bjork have shown much better acumen and fit the style that current HC DG likes to play and expect KA wants as well.  Thompson is easily replaceable. He is a bottom 6 player that lacks the grit to play in that role effectively and he does not make those around him better.  If I had a say, which I do not, I want R2 and Asplund for the longer haul. 

1 minute ago, 3putt said:

He is a cement head.  His awareness sux. He has one attribute that others do not have yet he plays like he is the size of R2.  Asplund and R2 and even Bjork have shown much better acumen and fit the style that current HC DG likes to play and expect KA wants as well.  Thompson is easily replaceable. He is a bottom 6 player that lacks the grit to play in that role effectively and he does not make those around him better.  If I had a say, which I do not, I want R2 and Asplund for the longer haul. 

I agree.  The little bit I've seen over the last month, I'd much rather keep R2, Bjork, Asplund, and Borgen, and lose TT.

• Like (+1) 1

As far as the 7 forwards go, everyone is protecting Jack and Sam, and you have to protect Jeff unless he unexpectedly waives.

Is there anyone not protecting Casey and Victor? Or protecting Okposo or Eakin?

That leaves two spots for Bjork, Girgensons, Asplund and Thompson. (Cozens and R2 are exempt)

Just now, dudacek said:

As far as the 7 forwards go, everyone is protecting Jack and Sam, and you have to protect Jeff unless he unexpectedly waives.

That leaves two spots for Bjork, Girgensons, Asplund and Thompson. (Cozens and R2 are exempt)

I am trading Victor for someone else to protect. I love his shot but he isn't bringing enough other stuff for me to be married to him. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am trading Victor for someone else to protect. I love his shot but he isn't bringing enough other stuff for me to be married to him. 

But if you can't make a deal are you exposing him?

Edited by dudacek

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Assuming no one is traded prior to expansion draft(I didn't know R2 was exempt)...

Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Mitts
Oloffson
Bjork
Asplund

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Just now, dudacek said:

Look up a few posts

Mitts, Asplund, TT, and Bjork could be protected... nah I protect VO and leave off TT or Bjork. 

I am waiting for Terry to get his stupidity involved and force Adams to protect good soldier Zemgus. 

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Please take Thompson so we can let someone else believe in him for no reason

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Mitts, Asplund, TT, and Bjork could be protected... nah I protect VO and leave off TT or Bjork. 

I am waiting for Terry to get his stupidity involved and force Adams to protect good soldier Zemgus

There is just no sound logic in this line of thought.  Sound familiar? 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Please, please, please... someone make the respectable, analytics- and eye-test-driven case for protecting Okposo and Eakin. I want to be entertained today.

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If they bench Asplund now, does that protect him from the expansion draft so they can protect an additional F?

No.

That games played thing is strictly for whether the guy qualifies as an exposed NHLer.  He has to be protected or exposed.  He is not exempt.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No.

That games played thing is strictly for whether the guy qualifies as an exposed NHLer.  He has to be protected or exposed.  He is not exempt.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No.

Oh well.

24 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Please, please, please... someone make the respectable, analytics- and eye-test-driven case for protecting Okposo and Eakin. I want to be entertained today.

I think that's his point--no one is protecting them.

50 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

There was a stretch of 10 games this season where Okposo was a point-per-game player. My advanced statistical model predicts he will start producing even more as he gets older and more broken. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

If it comes down to this then I'm exposing Girgensons and Thompson.

We know exactly what to expect out of Girgensons, he's not developing any further and is overpaid at 2.2 M

Thompson is such an underwhelming player to watch, I wouldn't miss him and losing him in the expansion draft for nothing would really put the final level of icing on the cake that was the ROR trade.

Asplund has 6 goals in 21 games, that's ~24 goals over the course of a normal season. I know his minutes will decrease next year with a healthy Eichel but I still think Asplund is improving. There's no way I'd expose him.

From the little I've seen of Bjork he always seems like the fastest guy on the ice and I'd rather have his speed over Thompson ability to be...tall? 

If I'm a Kraaken and I had to choose between Girgensons and Thompson I'd say, "What D do you have to offer?"