Seattle Expansion Protection List

sweetlou

Looking at the  Sabres from Seattle's point of view who would they want off the roster?  My pick is Miller.  Second option would be Thompson.  All conjecture because you have to see who the teams leave exposed.  Side deals will be interesting.

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's possible Adams targeted Bjork as a guy he could see himself protecting.

I would hope he instead targeted him more as a player who could be taken, or slide into the roster spot of a player who is.

Expect he was taken primariky because his & Lazar's salary differential was what Bah-stan needed to have room for Hall.   Both were 4th liners with their clubs, but (it seems) based on his NCAA results that he might have some offensive upside (i.e., might fit in on a higher line) which might make him more protective than Lazar.  It doesn't look like that's the case, but his window to prove himself remains open for 6 more games.

IF Skinner allows himself to be exposed, he gets protected; otherwise he's the 8th F.  Adams moved on from his other actual big acquisitions; he won't be afraid to move on from this one should Seattle want him.

If Seattle does take him, cool.  No losses on the BL.  And if McCabe comes back, they're sitting at 8 D that are all better than Irwin in the system right now plus they have rights to Pilut.

If Seattle doesn't take him, he's a depth F on a non-horrible contract.  Pretty sure he's about as relevant to the overall roster as Vesey was.  They have him, if they can upgrade him, great; if they lose him, oh well; and if he stays, he's servicable.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd guess that Asplund will be exposed and Bjork and TT will be protected (as well as Skinner, who will not waive his NMC), and that Borgen and Miller will be exposed, and that Seattle will unfortunately take Borgen unless KA pays them to take someone else.

FWIW, I think protecting Bjork over Asplund is the right call as I think Bjork has more upside.  OTOH, I'd rather lose Bjork than lose Borgen, and Seattle might be more inclined to take Bjork than to take Asplund, so it might make strategic sense to expose Bjork instead of Asplund.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'd guess that Asplund will be exposed and Bjork and TT will be protected (as well as Skinner, who will not waive his NMC), and that Borgen and Miller will be exposed, and that Seattle will unfortunately take Borgen unless KA pays them to take someone else.

FWIW, I think protecting Bjork over Asplund is the right call as I think Bjork has more upside.  OTOH, I'd rather lose Bjork than lose Borgen, and Seattle might be more inclined to take Bjork than to take Asplund, so it might make strategic sense to expose Bjork instead of Asplund.

What do you think is Bjork's upside?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What do you think is Bjork's upside?

Good question.  I was going to say Geoff Sanderson, based on my memories of him as a Sabre -- ie a 30ish-pt winger who can score goals, isn't much of a playmaker and puts pressure on the opposing D with his speed, plus a better 2-way game than Sandy, but then I checked Sanderson's stats.  I didn't realize he had SIX 30-goal seasons, including 2 40-goal seasons, plus another season with 25 goals, over a 17-year career.

In any case I'll stick with Sanderson as a comp based on his Sabre years.

I agree that Bjork seems sometimes to carry it into congestion and that he generally doesn't seem like much of a playmaker.  However, I think he has a good shot and good goal-scoring instincts and that he can hang with Cozens and R2 on that line, be a good 2-way contributor and gradually improve his awareness and decision-making in the offensive zone.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Bjork the Sabre is starting to look a lot like Bjork the Bruin: 0/1/1/-6 in his past 7 games.

He can skate, plays with pace and works hard, but he doesn't pass the puck well and twists himself into dead ends carrying it. I question his hockey IQ and haven't budged from my initial impression of Girgensons, although he seems less developed. He looks a lot like a AAAA offensive player who isn't skilled enough to play that game in the NHL and hasn't quite figured out the game he does need to play to be an effective NHL 3rd or 4th liner.

Adams would be foolish to bet on him over the more savvy Asplund or the more gifted Thompson. Bjork is the kind of guy you expect to lose in an expansion draft. And if you are a good team you shrug your shoulders because he is eminently replaceable.

Bjork may very well have been the player coming back for the purpose of exposing him instead of someone else.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It's possible Adams targeted Bjork as a guy he could see himself protecting.

I would hope he instead targeted him more as a player who could be taken, or slide into the roster spot of a player who is.

Ahhh you already got me

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Good question.  I was going to say Geoff Sanderson, based on my memories of him as a Sabre -- ie a 30ish-pt winger who can score goals, isn't much of a playmaker and puts pressure on the opposing D with his speed, plus a better 2-way game than Sandy, but then I checked Sanderson's stats.  I didn't realize he had SIX 30-goal seasons, including 2 40-goal seasons, plus another season with 25 goals, over a 17-year career.

I agree that Bjork seems sometimes to carry it into congestion and that he generally doesn't seem like much of a playmaker.  However, I think he has a good shot and good goal-scoring instincts and that he can hang with Cozens and R2 on that line, be a good 2-way contributor and gradually improve his awareness and decision-making in the offensive zone.

Losing Geoff Sanderson hurt a lot, he was a stud. He’ll always be a favorite of mine. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Brian Holzinger might be the guy you are thinking of.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

At this point you do nothing.  You expose either Asplund or Bjork at forward and Borgen and Miller on D.  Seattle gets one of those players and if they take Miller without incentive we come out ahead on the deal.  We shouldn’t and KA shouldn’t over think this.  

Don’t be surprised when KA protects Bjork.  He just acquired that guy for Hall and he may want to guarantee his more physical play in the lineup.  With Girgensons returning, R2’s fast adjustment, Skinner and VO, LW is a position of depth and losing Asplund would hurt the least up front. (Yes R2 is playing RW because of our need on that side).

I do like the idea of using a 3rd to get a signed goalie.  We have no NHL goalies signed for next season.

You are not not not not NOT exposing Asplund. Absolutely protect him over Tage or Bjork.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’d be pissed if they protected Tage and Bjork over Asplund, a guy who is already able to play against other teams’ best players and still has some upside.

Also: Borgen has played 10 NHL games. I’m pretty sure other teams are falling over themselves to get him, I believe it’s a Sabres fan creation.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’d be pissed if they protected Tage and Bjork over Asplund, a guy who is already able to play against other teams’ best players and still has some upside.

Also: Borgen has played 10 NHL games. I’m pretty sure other teams are falling over themselves to get him, I believe it’s a Sabres fan creation.

But do you think Seattle would take Asplund over Borgen?  It's not a slam dunk, but I think they would take Borgen.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

But do you think Seattle would take Asplund over Borgen?  It's not a slam dunk, but I think they would take Borgen.

I think they take Miller but because they play different positions I don’t think the conversation matters a ton in the 7-3-1 format. I do think they’d take Asplund over Borgen. They will get a TON of defensemen around the league.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Sanderson started his career when most all goalies were still stand up goalies & ended it after most had become butterfliers.

Made a huge difference as to how effectively that trademark slap shot flying down the wing of his worked.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/2543151/2021/04/26/what-does-the-sabres-impressive-youth-movement-mean-for-the-kraken-and-the-expansion-draft/

Vogl’s list - Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, VO, Mitts, Bjork and Thompson.  Asplund available - Why?

6. Anders Bjork

The Sabres just acquired the winger, making him the centerpiece of their Taylor Hall deal. Buffalo believes the 24-year-old will grow into a point producer. There’s no reason to let that growth happen in Seattle.

The pick here is …

Tage Thompson

It comes down to potential. Asplund should remain a valuable third- or fourth-line contributor and penalty killer. Thompson has the skills to climb into the top six. He’s not there yet, but he could become a scoring-line threat if he continues to refine his game.

He also says protect Borgen and trade Risto for a goalie.   I’m in total disagreement with the idea.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/2543151/2021/04/26/what-does-the-sabres-impressive-youth-movement-mean-for-the-kraken-and-the-expansion-draft/

Vogl’s list - Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, VO, Mitts, Bjork and Thompson.  Asplund available - Why?

He also says protect Borgen and trade Risto for a goalie.   I’m in total disagreement with the idea.  

I’m in total agreement on trading Risto for a goalie if that’s feasible but I don’t know that it is. I’m not protecting Bjork and Tage over Asplund.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except Vogl is forgetting that the centerpieces of the Hall deal were Hall & the 2nd.  Lazar & Bjork were the Legwand or McGinn of that deal.  They'll be useful but doubtful they'll be difference makers.

He's also forgetting that Adams doesn't stay married to "his" guys.  Hall & Staal were both brought in by him and are gone.  He brought in Eakin who is under contract for next season but is still deservedly a healthy scratch.  (Coaches call technically, but if Granato goes against his wishes he definitely won't be back.) 

If Adams really believes Bjork is more valuable than 1 of the other 7 he'll be protected.  But can't believe he's going to go that way unless Skinner waives the NMC temporarily.  

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Except Vogl is forgetting that the centerpieces of the Hall deal were Hall & the 2nd.  Lazar & Bjork were the Legwand or McGinn of that deal.  They'll be useful but doubtful they'll be difference makers.

He's also forgetting that Adams doesn't stay married to "his" guys.  Hall & Staal were both brought in by him and are gone.  He brought in Eakin who is under contract for next season but is still deservedly a healthy scratch.  (Coaches call technically, but if Granato goes against his wishes he definitely won't be back.) 

If Adams really believes Bjork is more valuable than 1 of the other 7 he'll be protected.  But can't believe he's going to go that way unless Skinner waives the NMC temporarily.  

I completely forgot the first draft pick in Predators history finished his career here

Arizona is the team I'd target with Risto. They've only got two defensemen that will definitely be protected (OEL and Chychrun). See if you can get a package centered around Risto for RW Conor Garland.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Arizona is the team I'd target with Risto. They've only got two defensemen that will definitely be protected (OEL and Chychrun). See if you can get a package centered around Risto for RW Conor Garland.

Not one of their goalies?

it is wild looking at all the players with NMC that mus be protected which in turn leaves many teams with tough decisions about who to protect and who to leave unprotected...

Here is the full of list of players with applicable no-movement clauses for the Seattle expansion draft (**-denotes injured player likely to be exempted)

Anaheim (1): **-Ryan Kesler

Arizona (2): Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Phil Kessel

Boston (3): Patrice Bergeron, Charlie Coyle, Brad Marchand

Buffalo (1): Jeff Skinner

Carolina (1): Jordan Staal

Calgary (2): Milan Lucic, Jacob Markstrom

Chicago (4): Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Jonathan Toews

Colorado (1): Erik Johnson

Dallas (4): Jamie Benn, Ben Bishop, Alexander Radulov, Tyler Seguin

Florida (3): Sergei Bobrovsky, Jonathan Huberdeau, Keith Yandle

Los Angeles (1): Drew Doughty

Minnesota (5): Jonas Brodin, Zach Parise, Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter, Mats Zuccarello

Montreal (3): Brendan Gallagher, Jeff Petry, Carey Price

Nashville (1): Roman Josi

N.Y. Islanders (1): **-Johnny Boychuk

N.Y. Rangers (4): Chris Kreider, Artemi Panarin, Jacob Trouba, Mika Zibanejad

Philadelphia (2): Claude Giroux, Kevin Hayes

Pittsburgh (3): Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin,

San Jose (2): Erik Karlsson, Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Tampa Bay (3): Victor Hedman, Nikita Kucherov, Steven Stamkos

Toronto (1): John Tavares

Vegas (2): Alex Pietrangelo, Mark Stone

Winnipeg (1): Blake Wheeler

Washington (1): Nicklas Backstrom

Also Sportsnet looks at the tough choices some teams have to make coming up...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nine-teams-interesting-decisions-make-ahead-seattle-expansion-draft/

Edited by Sabre fan