WGR dropping the ball...again

inkman

I’m a loyal listener.  I listen to the instigators, Schopp & the Bulldog, the Nightcap, Sports Talk Saturday, after Sabres wins postgame and occasionally Howard and Jeremy when I can.   

How on Earth can I be nearly an hour into today’s Schopp & Bulldog show and they have only discussed the NFL draft so far.  I know the BIlls rate much higher than the Sabres but on a day when the face of the franchise is finally diagnosed and they actually make a good hire in the front office and I get...wait...update, 90 minutes of NFL draft talk.  

Please save your hate for the individuals on the air for another thread.  How does the Sabres flagship station just ignore these moves for nearly the first half of their show? 

Oh No What GIF by Identity

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m a loyal listener.  I listen to the instigators, Schopp & the Bulldog, the Nightcap, Sports Talk Saturday, after Sabres wins postgame and occasionally Howard and Jeremy when I can.   

How on Earth can I be nearly an hour into today’s Schopp & Bulldog show and they have only discussed the NFL draft so far.  I know the BIlls rate much higher than the Sabres but on a day when the face of the franchise is finally diagnosed and they actually make a good hire in the front office and I get...wait...update, 90 minutes of NFL draft talk.  

Please save your hate for the individuals on the air for another thread.  How does the Sabres flagship station just ignore these moves for nearly the first half of their show? 

Oh No What GIF by Identity

Not sure, but expect it has something to do w/ the holy #### they catch from out of town Bills fans whenever they talk Sabres rather than Bills anywhere near the draft. 

Or, it could simply be that the programming department is fairly bad at its job.  Maybe both?

Edited by Taro T

I dunno, I feel like they don't usually get to the Sabres until closer to 5:00 when I'm driving home most days. It's not like the news is particularly big, we already knew Eichel was out long term and an assistant GM isn't that exciting. Don't they usually have other guests scheduled to join them too? I'm sure that factors in.

Well, Schopp is now deferring to the board operator, Joe Dibiasi (?), for his analysis on the Sabres as its very obvious that Mike checked out on the season long ago and was relying on Bulldog exclusively for Sabres content.   I don’t hate Schopp as much as most but how can your drive time talk show host not even pay attention to anything the hockey team is doing. 

He’s now he’s talking about watergate...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

Well, Schopp is now deferring to the board operator, Joe Dibiasi (?), for his analysis on the Sabres as its very obvious that Mike checked out on the season long ago and was relying on Bulldog exclusively for Sabres content.   I don’t hate Schopp as much as most but how can your drive time talk show host not even pay attention to anything the hockey team is doing. 

Setting aside any questions about his skills or his personality, Schopp's lack of knowledge about and obvious disinterest in what is, at worst, the number two focus of his audience is unforgivable in my books.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

Mike Schoop seems to me like a guy who loved sports as a kid and young adult but now as a grown up, sports is not as much fun when he has to do it for a job. No surprise he wants to talk about Watergate, or child helmet laws or anything! I don’t think he is even interested in sports anymore. But that’s his job 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I dunno, I feel like they don't usually get to the Sabres until closer to 5:00 when I'm driving home most days. It's not like the news is particularly big, we already knew Eichel was out long term and an assistant GM isn't that exciting. Don't they usually have other guests scheduled to join them too? I'm sure that factors in.

Talking about the Sabres with Paul Hamilton right now, so there ya go 

22 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Mike Schoop seems to me like a guy who loved sports as a kid and young adult but now as a grown up, sports is not as much fun when he has to do it for a job. No surprise he wants to talk about Watergate, or child helmet laws or anything! I don’t think he is even interested in sports anymore. But that’s his job 

Bulldog is still dialed right into the Sabres though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

So I’m not allowed to say ... I’m not surprised like the OP is, that WGR sucks at covering all major sports in the area and/or nationally equally, fairly, and well? Um ok...  

I rarely throw on those clowns in the late afternoon, but when I do, I turn it right back off within 5-10 mins. For me  and me only ... they really aren’t good. Compared to other shows locally and nationally. But to each his/her own ...

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'm quite glad I ignored the desires I had to write or talk about sports for a living when I was in HS/undergrad. Presuming I had the skills to make it (I dont) the same thing would have happened to me 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I wonder if management directs content or if they give the hosts full creative control. Schopp even said in the first segment something to the effect of "We were supposed to talk about the Sabres but...". I wish there was a better local option that wasn't a podcast in the afternoon. Howard and Jeremy are fine in the morning. I thought when Schopp was on vacation, Sal and Chris were balanced and engaging. Schopp needs to become a "fantasy expert" and leave the local scene

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think your right. I haven't listened to that show much at all for a !ong time but I've always thought he really didn't care much about what tbe show is about. Frankly WGR as a whole  in my opinion is pretty bad.

• Like (+1) 2

I still like WGR, but it's not without its flaws.

Everything said about Schopp not being a sports fan anymore is spot on, and next to Peters he's my least favourite of the on air talent (though I don't listen to One Bills Drive). I still find him entertaining on the non-sports stuff that seems to bug a lot of people.🤡

I'm a casual Bills fan, but I listen for about an hour a week (tops) during football season. After an hour I'm all caught up and then it's just the same thing over and over again.

Another thing... When the Sabres were good and the Bills weren't, the Sabres dominated the channel. I recall most of the hosts were on the record with saying they were Sabres fans first and Bills second. If the Sabres get good again, hockey will come back.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

I was listening too and actually yelled out loud for them to stop!

Mike Schopp is OBSESSED with Fantasy sports. With Bulldog out, Sneaky Joe is another bigtime Fantasy guy.  Not a hate on them thing, just factual description.

All the NFL draft talk was primarily in regards to impact on Fantasy & Betting on the Draft.

Agree totally that this was excruciatingly painful to sit through as I tuned in specifically at 3pm (after Tasker/Brown Bills Show) to hear discussion of such a major & long-term impactful SABRES news day.

Unless you are a Fantasy geek, Schopp has become unlistenable IMHO.

So much for the Sabres Flagship Radio Station.

• Like (+1) 2

Schopp just said, "We're not going to talk about the Sabres all day. Who cares? The season is over. It was a nice win last night." 

He quickly pivoted to what RB prospects drafted on Day 2 of the draft are going to help his fantasy team.

The "Flagship" station of the Sabres, with the team coming off their best win of the season, allows this crap

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stads said:

Schopp just said, "We're not going to talk about the Sabres all day. Who cares? The season is over. It was a nice win last night." 

He quickly pivoted to what RB prospects drafted on Day 2 of the draft are going to help his fantasy team.

The "Flagship" station of the Sabres, with the team coming off their best win of the season, allows this crap

Based on Sabres Twitter, everyone cares.  I wish the station would get a feel for the room. 

7 minutes ago, Stads said:

Schopp and the Bulldog are the worst. I’d rather listen to the sound of two senior citizen men making out than listen to 5 minutes of their show

1 minute ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Schopp and the Bulldog are the worst. I’d rather listen to the sound of two senior citizen men making out than listen to 5 minutes of their show

As I said in the OP, this isn’t a discussion about the on air personalities. It’s about what they discuss.  I suppose it’s all intertwined but I’m not going to let this turn into a bash so and so thread.  /closed 

• inkman locked this topic