Jack Eichel prefers Surgery on neck injury; done for the season.

LGR4GM

Once Dreger started talking Eichel trade, I basically flipped.

At no point in the discourse did he discuss how it helps Buffalo, just that 'it's time, don't you think?', and because Peters is Peters, he went along with it.

How about we trade Jack if he wants it truly, AND(!!) it benefits our hockey team.

These Toronto media guys' 'speculation' has been nothing but crap since Botterill got canned. Remember when the Sabres were on a Pegula budget and couldn't buy an 8 million dollar winger? I do too. They forgot their own nonsense that very day.

• Like (+1) 2

Lafleur-Perreault__2__1.JPG?_ga=2.452615

It's been many a moon since I took French (for six years lol), but the attached article from a Montreal newspaper in 1984 seems to confirm that a deal was on the table in 1982. Bowman seems to confirm it.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

At no point in the discourse did he discuss how it helps Buffalo, just that 'it's time, don't you think?', and because Peters is Peters, he went along with it.

How about we trade Jack if he wants it truly, AND(!!) it benefits our hockey team.

These Toronto media guys' 'speculation' has been nothing but crap since Botterill got canned. Remember when the Sabres were on a Pegula budget and couldn't buy an 8 million dollar winger? I do too. They forgot their own nonsense that very day.

I totally agree. 

Mindsets like this are so prevalent in hockey, though, it's so conservative in terms of these ideas of vague "intangibles". In circles like that it's really a solid argument to just say, "they haven't won with him, why not trade him?" and to me that's just the opposite of reason. You need to look deeper into the variables and not just make the decision on such a surface level. 

I don't think Adams is going to do that - it's just the media pushing thing things they always push. They'll frame the trade that way regardless of how and why it happens, they need to anchor it to their grandiose ideas of "intangibles". 

If Jack gets traded it's probably because he doesn't want to be here. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I totally agree. 

Mindsets like this are so prevalent in hockey, though, it's so conservative in terms of these ideas of vague "intangibles". In circles like that it's really a solid argument to just say, "they haven't won with him, why not trade him?" and to me that's just the opposite of reason. You need to look deeper into the variables and not just make the decision on such a surface level. 

I don't think Adams is going to do that - it's just the media pushing thing things they always push. They'll frame the trade that way regardless of how and why it happens, they need to anchor it to their grandiose ideas of "intangibles". 

If Jack gets traded it's probably because he doesn't want to be here. 

Yeah, and then this is the pattern:

Sabres acquire good player

Sabres don't win

Toronto asshats:"trade him! accept whatever! you can't expect much!"

Sabres make an OReilly trade

Toronto asshats:"that trade was terrible!"

Repeat.

Maybe I shouldn't be upset at Dreger. Maybe I should be upset at Peters/Rivet for being unconscious buffoons not asking any questions/comments (no Dregs, we don't trade a superstar 'because why not?!'). 

45 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Sabres don't win

Repeat.

Maybe I shouldn't be upset at Dreger. Maybe I should be upset at Peters/Rivet for being unconscious buffoons not asking any questions/comments (no Dregs, we don't trade a superstar 'because why not?!'). 

Peters and Rivet would rather trade Dahlin, Jack or Sam before Risto, they cannot help themselves 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Peters and Rivet would rather trade Dahlin, Jack or Sam before Risto, they cannot help themselves 

Anyone who thinks Risto is better than Dahlin should be fired into the sun. I should call and yell at them the next time I hear that. Also Dahlin has that physical side that Risto does, he just needs to embrace it more which he has done at lower levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

Man, now that you mention it, I always got the impression that these guys would move mountains to absolve Botterill of responsibility for the crap he did. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Man, now that you mention it, I always got the impression that these guys would move mountains to absolve Botterill of responsibility for the crap he did. 

I'm not one to come to the defense of the Pegulas. If I ever spoke with them about the Sabres, they'd probably end the conversation quickly, because it would be a flurry of honesty.

That said, they've definitely hired some hockey canada guys (Botterill amongst them) based on cleary bad advice. TSN/Sportsnet loves to crap on the Sabres, especially since Botterill was fired (before, he would rountinely praised by Craig Button and others, while trading a 6th for a worse 6th, and OReilly for a laugh). I imagine there's at least some connectivity between the two, which is why post-Botterill, all the Freidman/Dreger/etc interviews on Buffalo are just saying we suck and Eichel is gone.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The lack of flak Botterill gets for the Sabres troubles tells me he made the right friends.

IMHO, says more about the integrity of those friends.  And though they maybe good friends, they aren't worth much as analysts when they allow their like or dislike of the guy to cloud their reporting & analysis of his actions.  My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I literally have to mute the sound when Rivet gets on his exaggerated soap box. Peters doesn't bother me but Craig is ,to me, unbearable to listen to.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Lafleur-Perreault__2__1.JPG?_ga=2.452615

It's been many a moon since I took French (for six years lol), but the attached article from a Montreal newspaper in 1984 seems to confirm that a deal was on the table in 1982. Bowman seems to confirm it.

I am French and can help with this.

It quotes Bowman in saying that Irving Grundman of the Habs offered Guy Lafleur for Gilbert Perreault in the summer of 1982. The offer was made to the Knox brothers without Bowman knowing about it until months later.

He goes on to say how much he loves Lafleur and would have tried to get him to play with Perreault.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

I'm not one to come to the defense of the Pegulas. If I ever spoke with them about the Sabres, they'd probably end the conversation quickly, because it would be a flurry of honesty.

That said, they've definitely hired some hockey canada guys (Botterill amongst them) based on cleary bad advice. TSN/Sportsnet loves to crap on the Sabres, especially since Botterill was fired (before, he would rountinely praised by Craig Button and others, while trading a 6th for a worse 6th, and OReilly for a laugh). I imagine there's at least some connectivity between the two, which is why post-Botterill, all the Freidman/Dreger/etc interviews on Buffalo are just saying we suck and Eichel is gone.

I personally really like Friedman and don’t think this is true.  I find him quite measured and cautious about what he says, generally providing clear distinction between information he has heard and his personal opinions on things.

19 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

Sabres don't win

Repeat.

That trade WAS terrible..... 🤣

10 minutes ago, JimS said:

LOL Or, they understand how handcuffed he was.

We can give Botterill *literally* every caveat available to him, for every decision he made, and he *still* made the wrong choice, on about 85% of them, given the available options. 

We know he's bad not because he always made bad decisions, but because he made bad decisions despite there being plainly better options available.

Pegula tied him up, gagged him, and refused to let him loose until he traded ROR, all while playing a Zack Snyder movie marathon. Dude still penciled in BERGLUND and Casey Rookiestadt as the 2/3Cs after the deal, by choice. 

Jay-Bo don't know hockey (GMing)

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.