Jack Eichel prefers Surgery on neck injury; done for the season.

LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rangers are on the right path, they wouldn't make that trade unless it was a bargain basement price. No way they'd offer us true value. They do not need him. 

Screw the Rangers.

Let's get Jack back, a decent goalie tandem, and let our growing stable of young guns beat them at their own game. 

It's going to be a long summer reading these boards! Is it next year yet?!?? 

57 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If that happened, or if Jack was cross-checked in the neck, I'll send Terry another card.

I actually think he got the stick on the neck a few games earlier. In the Isles game, he just got folded into the glass right at the top of the dasher.

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rangers are on the right path, they wouldn't make that trade unless it was a bargain basement price. No way they'd offer us true value. They do not need him. 

Somewhere on Rangerspace there's some grizzled vet poster sarcastically saying "The Rangers have no room for a point a game player and MVP candidate" 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Stads said:

I always get "nerve"ous about neck/spinal injuries 

You know what's sick? Granato said the information about the injury was something they really didn't want "out there" for "player safety" reasons. I shouldn't have to ask this after 46 years of watching hockey, but — what kind of sick people play this sport?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

It would be great if someone could do some deep dive and post a video clip of the play in question where it’s believed Eichel got injured.

That's unknown. Granato said Eichel was playing through it. The Islanders game was apparently the coup de grace. I've looked high and low for video of the play with no luck.

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Go look at their center depth both in the NHL and what they have drafted the last 5 years. 

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You know what's sick? Granato said the information about the injury was something they really didn't want "out there" for "player safety" reasons. I shouldn't have to ask this after 46 years of watching hockey, but — what kind of sick people play this sport?

Man, that's any professional sport -- including even baseball, I would imagine. This is why leagues have permitted teams to euphemize what an injury is, so that opponents can't target it. I think opponents get the 411 on injuries anyway.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Man, that's any professional sport -- including even baseball, I would imagine. This is why leagues have permitted teams to euphemize what an injury is, so that opponents can't target it. I think opponents get the 411 on injuries anyway.

Nope.  Other leagues don’t give these ridiculously vague injury reports.  Other leagues give very specific reports on injuries.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/NYM/new-york-mets/injuries/

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

It would be great if someone could do some deep dive and post a video clip of the play in question where it’s believed Eichel got injured.

I think he's was hurt to some degree from the beginning of the season and it progressively got worse. One play/instance probably didn't do it, but sure there must have been a play that was the final blow. His skating posture was terrible since early on and he was avoiding contact much more than usual. Initially I thought he was just disinterested/lazy, then I believed he had a minor nagging injury and was trying to play through it. Upon further review, thats a bad injury/condition for anybody to have. 

• Like (+1) 1

In between the play and the replay, they show him on the bench with the trainer’s hands on his neck and he really winces in pain and gives the guy a WTF!!! look.

It happens right after the faceoff at 5:50 left in the 3rd. 3/7 game. 

The contact looks routine really.

Just now, Zamboni said:

Great work @SwampD!

im sorry if I’m missing it, but I didn’t see a check to the neck or his head and neck striking the glass hard etc ...

so maybe he was already hurt (neck) before that play? Hmmm ...

Looks like his helmet contacts the glass during that, but doesn't look that bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zamboni said:

Great work @SwampD!

im sorry if I’m missing it, but I didn’t see a check to the neck or his head and neck striking the glass hard etc ...

It was not a bad hit at all. He was looking down and just got folded against the glass.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

I think he's was hurt to some degree from the beginning of the season and it progressively got worse. One play/instance probably didn't do it, but sure there must have been a play that was the final blow. His skating posture was terrible since early on and he was avoiding contact much more than usual. Initially I thought he was just disinterested/lazy, then I believed he had a minor nagging injury and was trying to play through it. Upon further review, thats a bad injury/condition for anybody to have. 

We do know he was hurt during training, has that been named as a separate injury or is the thinking now the neck started way back then? 

He actually had bad ribs, too,  now that I think of it 

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

In between the play and the replay, they show him on the bench with the trainer’s hands on his neck and he really winces in pain and gives the guy a WTF!!! look.

It happens right after the faceoff at 5:50 left in the 3rd. 3/7 game. 

Ya I remember seeing that live, it was kinda weird 

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Great work @SwampD!

Definitely was already hurt 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Nope.  Other leagues don’t give these ridiculously vague injury reports.  Other leagues give very specific reports on injuries.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/NYM/new-york-mets/injuries/

Well, I’ll be.

Hat tip to you and @PASabreFan.

Not for nothing: That’s basically a battle between player safety and the gambling industry (the sharps), with line-setting winning out in sports other than hockey.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, I’ll be.

Hat tip to you and @PASabreFan.

Not for nothing: That’s basically a battle between player safety and the gambling industry (the sharps), with line-setting winning out in sports other than hockey.

Agree - the odd thing is though: remember when all the secretive lingo was reserved for the playoffs only? The way they used to talk about injuries used to be distinctly different from the regular season and at some point the regular season became like the playoffs in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Somewhere on Rangerspace there's some grizzled vet poster sarcastically saying "The Rangers have no room for a point a game player and MVP candidate" 

To be fair though, if you ran the Rangers and you saw your team filled with young rising players from 2 lottery wins and other picks and things seemed to be rising and coming together, would you toss that aside and trade off a chunk of that for a guy sidelined with a major neck injury? You'd be gambling on a full return to form and if you didn't get it right away your job would be toast. 

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree - the odd thing is though: remember when all the secretive lingo was reserved for the playoffs only? The way they used to talk about injuries used to be distinctly different from the regular season and at some point the regular season became like the playoffs in that regard. 

Pretty sure that change coincided w/ passage of the HIIPA law in the States.  (Not caring about the issue enough to actually verify that, though.)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

To be fair though, if you ran the Rangers and you saw your team filled with young rising players from 2 lottery wins and other picks and things seemed to be rising and coming together, would you toss that aside and trade off a chunk of that for a guy sidelined with a major neck injury? You'd be gambling on a full return to form and if you didn't get it right away your job would be toast. 

The injury thing I'm not sure about - no idea how likely it is that there wouldn't be a full recovery. By the time the teams would be hypothetically bartering over a deal, I'd imagine there'd be intel available to those in the profession about the specifics of how his healing process is going. Assuming he seems ok, I think they would, and should, be interested in a deal.

To your point, they have a good base so they aren't going to feel they need to make the deal, but I think any team always has to listen when the player you'd potentially be receiving is better than any other player on their current roster. I guess I'd put him about even with Panarin actually, but still, winger. 

They have space for him, because they can move anyone and (some reasonable combination of) everyone (save Panarin) off to make room. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.