Jack Eichel prefers Surgery on neck injury; done for the season.

LGR4GM

26 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hold up... if they remove the disk, don't the adjacent vertebrae eventually fuse together?   That can't be good in the neck area for a hockey player.

Hockey injury to me, Dang Beer league. Shoved into the boards from behind. Shattered disc. So they cut you open,  vacuum it out, put some bone marrow in and plate and screw it. No problem since. Payton Manning has had it done four times.   But long term its an issue. Like driving a car and no shock absorbers

IMG00387-20111025-1423.thumb.jpg.7e2a265df8aa824493535d4fdd6d91d4.jpg

• Thanks (+1) 3

Yikes. 

Question for the medical types here:  is this something that would have developed over time from the wear and tear of playing hockey/lifting weights/etc, or more likely been the result of a single incident (per @SwampD's post upthread about the crosscheck)?  If the former, then it probably explains the subpar Jack we saw early in the season before he was shut down.

Separately:  I think we can stick a fork in the possibility of Eichel being traded this summer.  With an injury like this, no one is going to give up a package good enough for KA to accept without seeing Jack back and playing to his peak.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yikes. 

Question for the medical types here:  is this something that would have developed over time from the wear and tear of playing hockey/lifting weights/etc, or more likely been the result of a single incident (per @SwampD's post upthread about the crosscheck)?  If the former, then it probably explains the subpar Jack we saw early in the season before he was shut down.

Separately:  I think we can stick a fork in the possibility of Eichel being traded this summer.  With an injury like this, no one is going to give up a package good enough for KA to accept without seeing Jack back and playing to his peak.

He’s probably too young for wear and tear on the neck. His trainer was Mike Boyle who I follow extensively. I would not have expected him to have Jack in dangerous training situations. He is a gym zealot about safety and avoiding exercises that lead to injury.

it is also possible it was bothering him and the cross check made it worse.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

He’s probably too young for wear and tear on the neck. His trainer was Mike Boyle who I follow extensively. I would not have expected him to have Jack in dangerous training situations. He is a gym zealot about safety and avoiding exercises that lead to injury.

Expected or not, the reports in December were that Eichel missed the start of camp due to a "training injury."  

He never looked right from day 1 and Ray mentioned a shoulder injury Jack was playing though mid-broadcast in an early season game.  Don't know if that was related to the initial disk issue or not, but it seems probable.

Would also explain some of the confusion over Krueger "lying" about Eichel's injury if he had the issue all along but the hit made it worse to the point he couldn't play through it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expected or not, the reports in December were that Eichel missed the start of camp due to a "training injury."  

He never looked right from day 1 and Ray mentioned a shoulder injury Jack was playing though mid-broadcast in an early season game.  Don't know if that was related to the initial disk issue or not, but it seems probable.

Would also explain some of the confusion over Krueger "lying" about Eichel's injury if he had the issue all along but the hit made it worse to the point he couldn't play through it.

I was describing a cumulative training overuse condition. He left Mike when he left Boston. I have no idea how he trains now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So here’s an example of a herniation impinging upon the spinal cord. If you look at the vertebrae opposite the yellow arrow you can see that jelly on the back of my spine encroaching into the white area which is my spinal cord.

7A2DC6E5-E809-40AA-9AC6-0D9029B0EFC5.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JKB1646 said:

Almost always due they fuse and plate neck issues. Its almost a minor surgery now, 90 mins with a dewalt drill!

They = United States. Europe does something vastly different. ADR is much more common and much more preferred than fusion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

A herniated disc in his neck is nothing to laugh at. I have them. A massive one in fact where my left arm went numb. I was in the process of scheduling a flight to Germany to get an artificial disc replacement last March when the world shut down.

thankfully, there is this weird phenomenon that the larger the herniation the more likely it is resorbed into the body. The numbness in my arm has gone away and my strength has returned but I feel like I’m on a hair trigger with it.

Ya this news pretty much sucks. It's a pretty serious injury for a player with a rapidly increasing injury history. 

Hoping for a solid and quick recovery for the guy....

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yikes. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

July 2022.

The bold: I'm not sure that would be the case, but it's possible. Jack is a player of such a high level that I'm sure there will still be teams calling. Question - if the offers are still coming, maybe they decrease - but if they do, does Jack's injury history also slightly lessen the amount you'd need back in a deal?

..If it really does rule out a deal this offseason, that gives KA t-minus one offseason to fix this team - cause if he doesn't, Jack is going to request out and with the NMC the return will be puny. 

Dire

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.