Jack Eichel prefers Surgery on neck injury; done for the season.

LGR4GM

• SDS pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good to see that.  🍺

The only thing surprising about that is they didn't accept the inevitability of that outcome until now.

The only thing that will be even less surprising than his needing surgery is all the "see, Krueger was ruining him" posts we'll see when he starts the year playing like he did in '19-'20.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Probably should have been done a month ago but here we are. Eichel out for season isn't a surprise and I am glad he is focused on next year. 

I'd rather he take his time and do the *right* thing rather than rushing in.  If they could have fixed the problem with rehab that might have been better than surgery.

EDIT:  Additionally, there might have been a benefit to doing physical therapy before the surgery (perhaps to shorten the post-op rehab).

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

A herniated disc in his neck is nothing to laugh at. I have them. A massive one in fact where my left arm went numb. I was in the process of scheduling a flight to Germany to get an artificial disc replacement last March when the world shut down.

thankfully, there is this weird phenomenon that the larger the herniation the more likely it is resorbed into the body. The numbness in my arm has gone away and my strength has returned but I feel like I’m on a hair trigger with it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

A herniated disc in his neck is nothing to laugh at. I have them. A massive one in fact where my left arm went numb. I was in the process of scheduling a flight to Germany to get an artificial disc replacement last March when the world shut down.

thankfully, there is this weird phenomenon that the larger the herniation the more likely it is resorbed into the body. The numbness in my arm has gone away and my strength has returned but I feel like I’m on a hair trigger with it.

Glad it seems to be getting better.  Agree w/ Dark's take.

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hold up... if they remove the disk, don't the adjacent vertebrae eventually fuse together?   That can't be good in the neck area for a hockey player.

Probably a discectomy. Just removing the portion of the disc that’s protruding.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hold up... if they remove the disk, don't the adjacent vertebrae eventually fuse together?   That can't be good in the neck area for a hockey player.

if it's removed they will replace with a synthetic one and bone will grow over time and fuse together. At least that's what happened with mine

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'd rather he take his time and do the *right* thing rather than rushing in.  If they could have fixed the problem with rehab that might have been better than surgery.

This...

A neck/back/spine injury is nothing to rush unless it's an absolute emergency. More harm can be done then good. Also very scary for the person involved. 

Hoping for a swift and successful surgery and quick recovery. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MidwestSabresFan said:

This...

A neck/back/spine injury is nothing to rush unless it's an absolute emergency. More harm can be done then good. Also very scary for the person involved. 

Hoping for a swift and successful surgery and quick recovery. 

I had a piece of disc hitting my nerve. Severe leg pain...held off as long as I could

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That can't be good in the neck area for a hockey player.

Seriously. The NHL should let Eichel wear a red pinnie during games, as he will probably be unable to keep his head on a swivel after this surgery.

More seriously: Neck surgery is no effing joke. My sphincter is and will remain a bit clenched about this, even if only in spirit and not in actuality.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

if it's removed they will replace with a synthetic one and bone will grow over time and fuse together. At least that's what happened with mine

So there’s fusion and there’s artificial disc replacement. Europe is 20 years ahead of us in ADR. Fusion causes adjacent disc disease in that the movement that was supposed to happen in the fused disc joint is now disbursed to the adjacent discs and that causes those discs to deteriorate faster and you end up getting your whole spine fused as time goes on. There was a special disc I wanted and that’s why I was willing to fly to Germany to get it done.

it all depends on Jack’s anatomy. But if the herniation was causing a deterioration in his game and he had pain then more than likely it was pressing against his spinal cord. From the time of herniation there’s a certain amount of time where your body will attack the herniation and try to break it down if it’s large enough. That may be why he was waiting. Just checking to see if it was getting smaller over time.

my left arm was 33% weaker after the herniation start impinging upon my spinal cord.

• Thanks (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.