GDT: Buffalo at Boston Apr. 13, 2021 • 7:00PM ET MSG-B WGR

Doohickie

Can we end Eakins season right now?  Useless, worthless, ineffective, and inadequate in every way.  The fourth line is just no bueno. Is it not better to have Reider in his place for PK and defensive shifts?  Could you not double shift another C to play with KO and Sheahan/Roch Forward?

And I think Cozens needs time on the PK.  I love how the Kings rotate top six guys on their PK like Kopi, Iafallo, Carter, and Kempe.  

• Like (+1) 1

We win this game with Ullmark. I actually think we win this game with Hutton.

Boston isn't going anywhere this year.

It's astounding just how bad Krueger was. I might say that after every game for the rest of the year.

Bryson is undersized and needs to learn how to keep his feet,… but he's kinda really good.

At times, Dahlin was world class tonight.

I find it funny when people say that Okposo and Reinhart are slow.

The officiating wasn't terrible tonight. They missed a lot but made up for it. As long as it's fair, ***** it.

Not sure if he's the head coach of the future, but it's obvious that Granato knows hockey.

Another entertaining game.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm really not liking Ullmarks inability to stay healthy for longer periods of time.

I like him as a goalie, but his injury-proneness is starting to worry me.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

It's astounding just how bad Krueger was. I might say that after every game for the rest of the year.

Well, I'll say it with you then - Krueger is possibly the worst coach I ever saw. He makes Ron Rolston look like Scotty Bowman.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kristian said:

I'm really not liking Ullmarks inability to stay healthy for longer periods of time.

I like him as a goalie, but his injury-proneness is starting to worry me.

Well, I'll say it with you then - Krueger is possibly the worst coach I ever saw. He makes Ron Rolston look like Scotty Bowman.

One of the reasons I consider him a 1B option.

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I would love it if the Bruins tied themselves to that lead balloon.

It’s weird though.  You’re right that Hall is a different guy since the injury, but he still seems pretty fast and strong on his skates to me.  It looks more like he’s lost his hands and his timing.  The mojo is gone and what’s left is flash, dash and empty shifts.

Separately, I only saw the 3rd period plus OT, but that was a pretty exciting and hard-fought chunk of a hockey game.  The difference post RK in guys like Joki, Dahlin, Mitts and, yes, Skinner is enormous.  And I freaking love Cozens.

Make the right moves this summer and I will be raring to go in the fall. 

One of my comments to my buddy was that hall still sucks. 

• SDS unpinned this topic
10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

They tried to take away our will to live but we played on, even if we were getting pushed around pretty badly. We need to get tougher . Nothing new there.

Has Mitts always stood off to the side on the exit? Is he becoming a leader? Intriguing. 

RE:  Need to get tougher.  Granato seems to be addressing specific issues as he goes along.  With 5 more games coming up against the B's let's see what he does on the toughness front.  He definitely seems willing to mold the players to the system and the system to the players and seems pretty savvy.

RE:  Mitts.  Premature to "give him the C" but he definitely seems to be in control of his own line pretty well and is leading by example.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

after the first period, the Sabres just got more and more feisty. 

They never did that under RFK.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol, except Bjork showed himself to be a Sabre already by failing to finish on the game winning opportunity. 🙂

He reminds me of Tage in that respect.  Let Granato & Ellis work with him a bit.  He may come around.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He woke up and remembered that he was strong. 

Dahlin played a physical game last night.  Not reckless, he was in control, but he finished his checks.

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

RE:  Need to get tougher.  Granato seems to be addressing specific issues as he goes along.  With 5 more games coming up against the B's let's see what he does on the toughness front.  He definitely seems willing to mold the players to the system and the system to the players and seems pretty savvy.

RE:  Mitts.  Premature to "give him the C" but he definitely seems to be in control of his own line pretty well and is leading by example.

They never did that under RFK.

I cannot imagine there is much that can be done.  The horses to run that game just aren't here, and Dalton Smith is not NHL level.  I think their best bet is to let sleeping dogs lie.  Stick with a speed game, keep your head up and counter attack.

The only thing they can't do is shy away.  If they do that they lose.  Badly.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He reminds me of Tage in that respect.  Let Granato & Ellis work with him a bit.  He may come around.

Dahlin played a physical game last night.  Not reckless, he was in control, but he finished his checks.

Marchand was trying to get under his skin all game and he was composed.  I thought he played great.  Even when he messed up he wasn't panicked.  

After watching a number of games since Granato has taken over behind the bench I can't think of one player (maybe Risto?) who isn't playing better than when Krueger was there. Dahlin immediately morphed into the player that everyone expected of him when the coach who handcuffed him was replaced by the coach who unchained him and instructed him to think less and play with a freedom where his talents can be expressed. 

Under Krueger Okposo seemed like a worn out plow horse who had nothing left in the tank. Now he is playing with purpose and grit and seems to be a stabilizing influence. The difference between Skinner now and before is night and day. He still has his deficiencies but now at least he is a factor that the other teams have to account for. It just seemed that Krueger went out of his way to bury the player because he didn't represent the type of hockey that he was espousing. 

When watching the game I thought overall Boston had the edge. They gave full effort just as we did all game long. Although I am biased my takeaway from this game is that we have a  larger and better younger core than they do. That presents a glimmer of hope. It's just a question of how long will it take to be realized. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Bryson is undersized and needs to learn how to keep his feet,… but he's kinda really good.

I don't think I've seen a young Dman so willing to take chances, then quickly recover from his own mistakes.  He'll have forecheckers on him, try to move the puck, they take it away and he gets it right back.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Sabres scoring in this game:

Miller's 4th goal, Dahlin's 4th goal, Cozens' 4th assist, Bjork's 4th assist, Jokiharju's 4th assist, Skinner's 4th assist 

what are the odds

At this point in time?  100%

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think I've seen a young Dman so willing to take chances, then quickly recover from his own mistakes.  He'll have forecheckers on him, try to move the puck, they take it away and he gets it right back.

At this point in time?  100%

That all 6 point notchers in game notched their 4th of that stat? 

That seems crazy to me 

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

I cannot imagine there is much that can be done.

I'm glad Granato is running this team and not you 😛  You could see the adjustments made in the 3rd period; we stood toe-to-toe with the B's.  They need to do that more consistently.  It's not just having the right people, and it's not saying I want Granato to make them a physical team; just teach them how to handle a physical team.

Edited by Doohickie

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The probably of ANY past event from the perspective of this moment, is 100%.  It's already happened, so we know it with absolute certainty.

Great.

What I was thinking about was how likely it WAS to happen, I understand that because it happened, it happened. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.