Sportsnet says Mitts is in play!

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've been begging for the team to be given over to the kids since camp.  It's finally happened (with a new coach) and bam were are playing entertaining and fun hockey and getting results.  4-2-2 in the last 8.  We finally have internal depth and really no long need outside help.  

The Sabres are playing right now more internal prospects that we have in a decade with better results.  Ullmark (6th rd 2012), Risto (1st rd 2013), Reinhart (1st rd 2014), VO (7th rd 2014), Asplund (2nd rd 2016), Mitts (1st rd 2017), Bryson (4th rd 2017), Dahlin (1st rd 2018), Cozens (1st rd 2019) and R2 (UDFA 2020) plus acquired prospects Jokiharju (1st rd 2017) and Thompson (1st rd 2016).  In addition 3 draftees are on IR: McCabe (2nd rd 2012), Eichel (1st rd 2015) and Borgen (4th rd 2015).  That 15 guys.  Seems like a great place to start in building a team.

You deserve a victory lap of sorts as you were an adamant proponent for playing all the kids but I disagree entirely with the "no longer need outside help"

We cannot make the playoffs next year without it

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You deserve a victory lap of sorts as you were an adamant proponent for playing all the kids but I disagree entirely with the "no longer need outside help"

We cannot make the playoffs next year without it

Certainly a new backup goaltender will help, but this kid laden team is 4-2-2 in their last eight without Borgen, McCabe and Eichel.  Those are pretty good reinforcements when they return.  I'm not against bringing in help, I just no longer see the need to bring in a big time player.  That just hasn't worked for us and considering KA's track record and that we only have 1 pro scout, I'm not real confident that they'd bring in anyone useful.

PS: I've right a great deal lately.  I said RK was a terrible hire, I said Mitts was a player, and go with the kids. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Certainly a new backup goaltender will help, but this kid laden team is 4-2-2 in their last eight without Borgen, McCabe and Eichel.  Those are pretty good reinforcements when they return.  I'm not against bringing in help, I just no longer see the need to bring in a big time player.  That just hasn't worked for us and considering KA's track record and that we only have 1 pro scout, I'm not real confident that they'd bring in anyone useful.

it's less about "big name" additions are more about functional players. Like how I talked about Jesper Fast all offseason. we need a couple players who can play, at ES, in the top 6, at the wings. non-VO type players. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

it's less about "big name" additions are more about functional players. Like how I talked about Jesper Fast all offseason. we need a couple players who can play, at ES, in the top 6, at the wings. non-VO type players. 

But aren't Thompson and Asplund giving you that kind of depth scoring right now?  Don't you expect Cozens to take a nice step forward next season?  What if he add Berniers in the draft and or Quinn takes a step forward.  While I'm not dead set against targeted acquisitions to fill lineup holes, I want the kids to get the 1st crack at the jobs and I don't trust KA to make the right decisions.

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But aren't Thompson and Asplund giving you that kind of depth scoring right now?  Don't you expect Cozens to take a nice step forward next season?  What if he add Berniers in the draft and or Quinn takes a step forward.  While I'm not dead set against targeted acquisitions to fill lineup holes, I want the kids to get the 1st crack at the jobs and I don't trust KA to make the right decisions.

Relying on too many "best case scenarios"

I'm talking 2 players that have already proven themselves capable of playing in the top 6, and none of the players you mentioned have 

Primary scoring add vs the depth you mentioned they are providing 

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Relying on too many "best case scenarios"

I'm talking 2 players that have already proven themselves capable of playing in the top 6, and none of the players you mentioned have 

Primary scoring add vs the depth you mentioned they are providing 

I'd love to add "proven top 6 players" to the lineup.  Who is available at what cost?  We tried that with Skinner and KO and got one good season from both.  We tried again with Hall and that didn't work either. I zero confidence in KA's ability to evaluate those players and bring them in.  As if they want to come here anyway.  At this point I just don't see that as a viable strategy right now.  

The Sabres are in prove it mode.  They have to prove to the rest of the NHL, players, fans and management, that they are a real viable franchise.  That will come with putting a real team on the ice.  That seems to be happening right now.  Time to stay the course and let things playout and then supplement later.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd love to add "proven top 6 players" to the lineup.  Who is available at what cost?  We tried that with Skinner and KO and got one good season from both.  We tried again with Hall and that didn't work either. I zero confidence in KA's ability to evaluate those players and bring them in.  As if they want to come here anyway.  At this point I just don't see that as a viable strategy right now.  

The Sabres are in prove it mode.  They have to prove to the rest of the NHL, players, fans and management, that they are a real viable franchise.  That will come with putting a real team on the ice.  That seems to be happening right now.  Time to stay the course and let things playout and then supplement later.

I wouldn't be bringing in the highest dollar players on the market, though. That's why I mentioned Fast. 

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Assuming that our forwards next year are Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart, Ruotsalainen-Cozens-Olofsson, Asplund-Mittlestadt-Thompson, Girgensons, and Okposo *and* that the Alternative Minimum Tax Line on your 1040A, erm, Asplund-Mittlestadt-Thompson is at least passable the rest of the way, I would be looking for just solid 2-way players for the forwards and swapping the odd part for a better fit.  For instance, is there a Centre for Girgensons and Okposo where I can get their defencive acumen and 40 goals?

I need solid goaltending on defence.  For the first time in a decade, I like how the team looks on the forwards.

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Assuming that our forwards next year are Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart, Ruotsalainen-Cozens-Olofsson, Asplund-Mittlestadt-Thompson, Girgensons, and Okposo *and* that the Alternative Minimum Tax Line on your 1040A, erm, Asplund-Mittlestadt-Thompson is at least passable the rest of the way, I would be looking for just solid 2-way players for the forwards and swapping the odd part for a better fit.  For instance, is there a Centre for Girgensons and Okposo where I can get their defencive acumen and 40 goals?

I need solid goaltending on defence.  For the first time in a decade, I like how the team looks on the forwards.

I would have thought Lazar was the Center for Girgs and Okposso. Still puzzling move...

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Aren't you tired of bring in core player like Skinner, Hall, Kane, Bogo, Staal, Okposo, Montour, Miller, Hutton etc... Why don't we just let the kids play for once and see what they can do.

That's what they are doing now. You are giving too much credence to this particular report. As someone else stated you don't think that Jack or Dahlin's name hasn't been brought up in phone conversations between numerous GMs and our front office?

I understand your general frustration. But you have recently been in a heightened state of agitation over Krueger this year. Not only has he been dispatched but also the team is playing demonstrably better and the younger players have more rapidly advanced under the new HC. Those changes should have you being a little more positive and less morose. Maybe some merlot will raise your spirits some. 🙂

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Seeing the trade deadline come and go without much movement from the Sabres is very interesting.

Under just about any other circumstances I would say good, don't sell short at the deadline, wait until the off season. But I've seen this dance before, welcome to Groundhog Day, Buffalo Sabres Style.

Where the Sabres market faithful once again won't even get a courtesy reach around while going through the arena turnstiles next season.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn't be bringing in the highest dollar players on the market, though. That's why I mentioned Fast. 

Minus Ovi who will be a FA in name only, it’s going to be Landeskog and he will probably come in at 50-60m over 7 years. If he’s available and willing to sign you sign him. Every other FA I agree with. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.