KA at the deadline

GASabresIUFAN

So we now have TEN picks this year. It wouldn't be a good use to spend them in the later rounds moving up. And selecting all 10 you know that takes CHL off the board totally (if it wasn't already) as if they pick that many guys, they wouldn't want a bunch coming up for their first deal deadlines at the same time. 

We need to move a few I'd say 

We did not add one pick for the following draft, 6 there right now total 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So we now have TEN picks this year. It wouldn't be a good use to spend them in the later rounds moving up. And selecting all 10 you know that takes CHL off the board totally (if it wasn't already) as if they pick that many guys, they wouldn't want a bunch coming up for their first deal deadlines at the same time. 

We need to move a few I'd say 

We did not add one pick for the following draft, 6 there right now total 

If there were a draft where I just wanted a few extra darts to throw at the board, this year's is it.  On the other hand, I would move a couple in hockey trades which would give me more _next_ year.

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If there were a draft where I just wanted a few extra darts to throw at the board, this year's is it.  On the other hand, I would move a couple in hockey trades which would give me more _next_ year.

We'll probably take 9 players from the USHL in rounds 2-7 😄

Best thing we did today is not trade Ullmark 

• Haha (+1) 1

We'll probably take 9 players from the USHL in rounds 2-7 😄

Best thing we did today is not trade Ullmark 

This is my guess. They can easily argue it was one of the few leagues going and one they actually scouted. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is my guess. They can easily argue it was one of the few leagues going and one they actually scouted. 

Ordinarily they'd probably pay lip service to other leagues being an option but this year, at least looking at their current staffing set up, they seem to be basically outright saying they'll be exclusively drafting college track players 

15 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I just want everything about this season to be over. Such bitter disappointment. Cozens looks like the real deal, and Mitts might actually be a player, everything else is *****

I'm actually more interested in this season now than I was at any point up until now..and that applies to pretty much most of the 2nd half of last season also....

-Is the step up in middlestats play real?

-how will this team play/will anyone step up without Eichel playing?

-Dahlin is getting fun to watch

-Where will they end up drafting

-Can they continue to play more competitive hockey for the rest of the year than they have earlier in the year?

Its not a ton, but I'm more looking forward to watching games now that I have for most of the past year or so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm actually more interested in this season now than I was at any point up until now..and that applies to pretty much most of the 2nd half of last season also....

-Is the step up in middlestats play real?

-how will this team play/will anyone step up without Eichel playing?

-Dahlin is getting fun to watch

-Where will they end up drafting

-Can they continue to play more competitive hockey for the rest of the year than they have earlier in the year?

Its not a ton, but I'm more looking forward to watching games now that I have for most of the past year or so.

Which to me just makes it that much more disappointing. They’re playing good hockey finally but it doesn’t matter. Maybe if they would have pulled the trigger weeks sooner on Krueger 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The other GMs in the NHL must simply laugh when they see his phone number on the caller ID. Face it folks, our beloved Sabres are the joke of the NHL and will remain so for the forseeable future.

Where have you been the last decade? We have been the punchline for years. 

• Like (+1) 1

draft and develop

that's it. that's all. 

this was always a big thing but now for Buffalo I think it's the only thing. we must be patient (for results that may not come), or be upset - those are the choices. 

- - - 

the team should have figured out a way to prevent things from getting to this point - they should be in a spot, have the confidence in their ability, to right the ship this offseason.

But that's not what happened, and I think Adams will look at himself coldly in the mirror, and trade Jack, if Terry agrees to it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He's a good AHLer & a bad NHLer at present that the Sabres would not have retained the rights to next season.  While there's an outside possibility he could've won the back up role in Buffalo were he to have decided to re-sign (and even if the Sabres wanted him there is no reason to believe he wanted to be back), there is a far greater likelihood that he'd be the 3 in this organization at best.

They got a low value asset for something they wouldn't have had in the new league year & that had extremely minimal value to them this year.

Will he continue to improve?  Probably, but likely not as much as he'd need to be a regular full time NHLer.  The rebound control might improve, but really doubt his motion will improve much at this point.

You actually upset they got any value for him moving forward?

I'm indifferent. But some folks are pointing to his performance with the Avs as proof of...something. Note sure what exactly. I don't recall any howls of doom when he was traded.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

draft and develop

that's it. that's all. 

this was always a big thing but now for Buffalo I think it's the only thing. we must be patient (for results that may not come), or be upset - those are the choices. 

- - - 

the team should have figured out a way to prevent things from getting to this point - they should be in a spot, have the confidence in their ability, to right the ship this offseason. I think Adams will look at himself coldly in the mirror, and trade Jack, if Terry agrees to it. 

I'm 100% with you on the developing part and having patience.  I thought there would already be 5 post replying to you saying something like "I'm tired of waiting" or "this team isn't far away if you sign the right Free agent" or "trade those picks for someone who can come in and help right now"......but it has been that thinking..and the moves by the Sabres along those lines that are a large part of why they are so bad (yes, bad drafting has hurt also.)

As of right now you have Eichel, hopefully Dahlin is developing into something great. You are seeing signs of legit good thing from Mittlestat and maybe Thompson, Asplund too.  Its not going to win you the cup next year, but if you develop what you have in Roch now and get another couple NHL players out of it...and draft someone with a high pick this year...you may be on your way to a great team in a few years.  I don't care how long it takes...I don't want to trade a 'possible' great team in 3 years for immediate help to give you just a 'good' team right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm 100% with you on the developing part and having patience.  I thought there would already be 5 post replying to you saying something like "I'm tired of waiting" or "this team isn't far away if you sign the right Free agent" or "trade those picks for someone who can come in and help right now"......but it has been that thinking..and the moves by the Sabres along those lines that are a large part of why they are so bad (yes, bad drafting has hurt also.)

As of right now you have Eichel, hopefully Dahlin is developing into something great. You are seeing signs of legit good thing from Mittlestat and maybe Thompson, Asplund too.  Its not going to win you the cup next year, but if you develop what you have in Roch now and get another couple NHL players out of it...and draft someone with a high pick this year...you may be on your way to a great team in a few years.  I don't care how long it takes...I don't want to trade a 'possible' great team in 3 years for immediate help to give you just a 'good' team right now.

Honestly I'm tired of waiting lol

But I can't tell my brain anymore that there's any other option available if the ones in charge are the ones in charge

The problem, and you mention Eichel, is him - we can't rebuild around him I don't think, as I don't think Jack waits any longer once his NMC kicks in. He'll ask out, imo. I'm struggling to argue for not trading Eichel at this point if I don't think Adams himself believes he can turn things around this offseason. 

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a bit annoying they couldn't get a single pick for the following year. They don't even have a proper scouting staff for all these picks they are going to make 

Technically, they SHOULD be able to move some of these picks back a year, even if they have to do the ridiculous Botterill trade acurrent pick for the same round next year.

If they haven't put together an actual scouting department, there's quite a bit of merit to the idea.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Technically, they SHOULD be able to move some of these picks back a year, even if they have to do the ridiculous Botterill trade acurrent pick for the same round next year.

If they haven't put together an actual scouting department, there's quite a bit of merit to the idea.

I could see other teams wanting to keep those picks for next year though, considering the odd draft this year.  It would be in the best interest of a good drafting team to have more picks next year rather than this one

Just now, Thorny said:

I could see other teams wanting to keep those picks for next year though, considering the odd draft this year.  It would be in the best interest of a good drafting team to have more picks next year rather than this one

Maybe not.  As this year will be more of a crap shoot than normal, there should be more value remaining as teams that really don't know what they're doing let quality players slip past.

A team that really trusts their hockey department could snag more than the usual haul IF they are both lucky & good.

Of course, those good scouting teams could look at it as you are and admit they simply have too much uncertainty this year and avoid it like the plague.  But if they have faith in their abilities, buying low is how one wins in the market.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Maybe not.  As this year will be more of a crap shoot than normal, there should be more value remaining as teams that really don't know what they're doing let quality players slip past.

A team that really trusts their hockey department could snag more than the usual haul IF they are both lucky & good.

Of course, those good scouting teams could look at it as you are and admit they simply have too much uncertainty this year and avoid it like the plague.  But if they have faith in their abilities, buying low is how one wins in the market.

I don't want to get all into this cause it's a bunch of theory but I don't think I agree with this. I was thinking about this the other day and my conclusion is for a bad drafting team the crapshoot nature is an advantage, and for the good drafting teams it's a disadvantage. Bad teams would usually just miss - now they may luck into hitting - the pool of good players, for the good teams, should theoretically decrease in size relative to usual 

the "intel" is slashed this year, but when you don't have good intel, that doesn't matter as much. If you rely on good intel, you are losing your advantage - that'd be the good teams 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't want to get all into this cause it's a bunch of theory but I don't think I agree with this. I was thinking about this the other day and my conclusion is for a bad drafting team the crapshoot nature is an advantage, and for the good drafting teams it's a disadvantage. Bad teams would usually just miss - now they may luck into hitting - the pool of good players, for the good teams, should theoretically decrease in size relative to usual 

Fair enough.

But my guess is we see more movement as teams that normally draft well see guys with 2nd or 3rd round grades on their boards dropping into the 5th & 6th.  Tough to pass on a guy you believe to be far better than what he'll cost, especially when the asset acquired by that cost should the trade not get consumated doesn't turn 18 for another year.

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I just want everything about this season to be over. Such bitter disappointment. Cozens looks like the real deal, and Mitts might actually be a player, everything else is *****

Asplund leads the team in goals per game (excluding R2, since he's played so few.)  So, that's something. 🤪

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.