KA at the deadline

GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Just look ahead to next season when Adams is still the GM, Granato is still the HC, Hutton is the #1 goalie and the #1 draft pick is a complete bust.

Oh yeah....yes, that will sell tickets!  Whatever is left of the Sabres PR/Marketing organization will also request a trade.

At this point, GMKA needs to see what he can get for Linus.  It's a low probability that he will stay, so you might as well get something that can maybe be used to replace him in the off-season.  I sort of miss GM Darcy....he was able to pull off some good trades (ex. Gaustad....but then again there was Bob Corkum).

Edited by Carmel Corn

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

..and a 5th for Johansson who's 3-0-1, 1.89 GAA, .929 sv% im 4 starts for his new team.

He still has no rebound control, and generally not very quick on cross ice stuff.  I had seen enough to know he's not an answer in net - but who knows maybe he'll figure it out.  

Wins over Anaheim and a blues team that was struggling to score don't make me think that the guys just flipped a switch though.

1 hour ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I see a ton of over reaction. I do not know what you expected to get from players on a team that did not win for 18 games. The Sabres were never in a position of power in any of these trades.

Stall - an older center with a few goals left. 2 picks not bad.

Hall - he has hit the wall hard!! Look at his production the last couple of years. Nobody was saying we were going to get a first for him. 

Montour - Someone we did not need as we have 3 other on the team that can do the same thing. We got a 3rd and Florida took full salary, and they got a defenseman that can skate, score and does not know how to play defense. 

My biggest gripe was losing Lazar, but he can be easily replaced.

We are all jaded from being Sabresfans. But, this is some serious over reaction to KA.

I think Lazar was a kicker to make the bjork move.  Lazar is fine for what he is - but i think it was going to be a challenge to fit him in next year?  Jack, Sam, Cozens, Mitts, ruots, even girgensons in a pinch.  He's had a good year, but most people expected him to be an extra skater on game days this season.  

• Like (+1) 1

kevin is experienced at running harbor center.HE has NO experience as a GM. This all falls on pegula. Their penny pinching meddling has gotten us into this mess and until he hires a real NHL executive with experience, lnowledge, and league connections, we will get more of the same. Tim Murray actually looks very good in the rear view mirror. He got lucky with Beane and McDermott but both were experienced. Most posters on this board have equal experience to Adams. SUCH A MESS!

1 hour ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I see a ton of over reaction. I do not know what you expected to get from players on a team that did not win for 18 games. The Sabres were never in a position of power in any of these trades.

Stall - an older center with a few goals left. 2 picks not bad.

Hall - he has hit the wall hard!! Look at his production the last couple of years. Nobody was saying we were going to get a first for him. 

Montour - Someone we did not need as we have 3 other on the team that can do the same thing. We got a 3rd and Florida took full salary, and they got a defenseman that can skate, score and does not know how to play defense. 

My biggest gripe was losing Lazar, but he can be easily replaced.

We are all jaded from being Sabresfans. But, this is some serious over reaction to KA.

I agree that this is an overreaction against KA, however, an assistant GM and a Head of Hockey Ops in place who have contacts and know the league may have helped the return. We can replace Lazar, sure, but it had better be with a gritty, "shows up every game" players because that is what Lazar was and we are woefully thin on such players.

I can't give him a 'bad grade' or say he didn't do well unless we know/hear what other offers were on the table that he did not take.  If you want to move Hall, you can only move him for what offers you have.  Again, unless we know (or at least have reasonable info) about better offers out there, I cannot criticize Adams....No matter how much I WANTED to get more for Hall.

• Like (+1) 2

So far, we've gotten exactly what I expected a few weeks ago for the three main players (Staal, Montour, Hall.)  However, at the time, I was really disappointed that we would be getting those for our best trade assets.  Then, there was some talk/hope/prayers for more.  It didn't turn out.  I'm not too surprised in a bad way, but I was hoping to be surprised in a good way.  I'm just meh about it.

• Like (+1) 3

A funny-looking man once said that "there are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen." 

Similarly, there are individual moves that alter the trajectory of an NHL franchise, and there are piles of moves that don't influence its course a bit.

There are some posters that try to tell me the pile of meaningless and harmless trades is a harbinger of doom, who also tried to tell me that moves which sent 5-years-or-longer spans of hockey into a tailspin were not only insignificant, but were good things

Some of y'all should recalibrate. These trades are disappointing, like almost all deadline trades when your team is selling. The meat and bones of what will dictate our path forward will happen this offseason. That will be the time for Kevyn to make or break his tenure and our future

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No greater authority than Paul Hamilton said Johansson didn't belong in the NHL.

Paul’s standard is that a goalie has to make a couple of key saves every game to save his team. With a good team those key saves may never be needed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

The 2 wins over anaheim (worst offense in NHL), and a reeling Blues team make me think we could be looking at a small sample size.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So wait, was Johansson a good goalie or a bad one? 

Plays poorly = he's trash 

Plays well = it's the team in front of him and bad opponents 

SMH

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Plays poorly = he's trash 

Plays well = it's the team in front of him and bad opponents 

We watched the games though, did he suddenly stop kicking juicy rebounds? Is he now able to move side to side adequately enough to stop cross ice passes?

Maybe he's hasek now after 4 games. Despite stopping like 88 percent of shots in buffalo... id certainly be surprised if he was though, wouldn't you?

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

We watched the games though, did he suddenly stop kicking juicy rebounds? Is he now able to move side to side adequately enough to stop cross ice passes?

Maybe he's hasek now after 4 games. Despite stopping like 88 percent of shots in buffalo... id certainly be surprised if he was though, wouldn't you?

He's a young goalie who has improved at every level he's played.  He has the physical tools. 

Why is it so hard to fathom that he'll continue to get better?   

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's a young goalie who has improved at every level he's played.  He has the physical tools. 

Why is it so hard to fathom that he'll continue to get better?   

Why is it also so hard to fathom that he won't?  It's possible that he becomes a regular nhl goalie, but I didn't see anything in his game that indicated that he would - obviously I can be wrong. 

My guess is they want ullmark back, and another goalie in free agency (or 2 others).  UPL gets more starts at the AHL level to try and continue his development, and you have tokarski to back up UPL, and be the call up if you have injuries.  Johansson could be that tokarski type guy, but they're already saddled with tokarski.  

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

JoJo, Montour, Staal, Hall and Lazar

In

a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th, a 6th, the singer Bjork and the corpse of Drake Caggiula.  

This needs repeating... I don't know why but I felt compelled. 

The one I think the Sabres will miss most is Lazar.   Sabres are going to need to draft another center... but hey Skins can take faceoffs...

Oh ya. 

- - - 

Scott Laughton is on the block, eh? I wish KA had found a way to make that happen

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So wait, was Johansson a good goalie or a bad one? 

He's a good AHLer & a bad NHLer at present that the Sabres would not have retained the rights to next season.  While there's an outside possibility he could've won the back up role in Buffalo were he to have decided to re-sign (and even if the Sabres wanted him there is no reason to believe he wanted to be back), there is a far greater likelihood that he'd be the 3 in this organization at best.

They got a low value asset for something they wouldn't have had in the new league year & that had extremely minimal value to them this year.

Will he continue to improve?  Probably, but likely not as much as he'd need to be a regular full time NHLer.  The rebound control might improve, but really doubt his motion will improve much at this point.

You actually upset they got any value for him moving forward?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.