Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

I just don't understand why we'd trade Lazar too?

In the end I guess we just can't have nice things, no matter what we do its sad or embarrassing.

The owner might be playing tight walleted.

The GM might have little to no idea what he's trying to do.

The coach is a cheap interim guy they seem to buying players for disturbingly enough.

Can we please stop being a freaking poverty franchise and start showing the fans a team that matters and is competent!  

2 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Does Adams have ANYBODY assisting him with his first trade deadline right now? Sabres didn’t get KA the necessary help fast enough and we are seeing the results. Ullmark probably gone tomorrow at this point too. 

It's Adams's job to wear the big-boy pants.

It shouldn't be lost in all of this that every single one of us would have welcomed a Hall scratch before it was time to consider doing so for the deadline, that's how bad he was. 

That does matter in things like trade deadline trades. He is ***** terrible lol. Can't really have it both ways

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 6

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/anders-bjork-iii.2798440/page-12

Go read what Boston fans think of Bjork over the years. He blew his shoulder out which slowed down the start of his career. The rest reads just like any report on players like Thompson or Mittelstadt over the last two years:  has all the tools there but isn’t putting it together playing grinding minutes for the coach.

I agree losing Lazar hurts, but he’s a 4th liner we saved from being out of the league entirely a year ago. We still have Girgensons. Caggiula is an equivalent to Lazar. Boston is right to target Lazar but in the grand scheme of things he’s easily replaced. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Go read what Boston fans think of Bjork over the years. He blew his shoulder out which slowed down the start of his career. The rest reads just like any report on players like Thompson or Mittelstadt over the last two years:  has all the tools there but isn’t putting it together playing grinding minutes for the coach.

I agree losing Lazar hurts, but he’s a 4th liner we saved from being out of the league entirely a year ago. We still have Girgensons. Caggiula is an equivalent to Lazar. Boston is right to target Lazar but in the grand scheme of things he’s easily replaced. 

Interested to learn more about Bjork. 

If we want to win next year, we need to make tough decisions on the pool of Lazar, Sheahan, Rieder, Eakin, Okposo, Girgensons. Players of low value, that you really only want 2 of next year, unless you want to run back 2 mediocre 4th line types again for half of each game next year. I don't mind making a decision on Lazar with this deal, even though I think we lost in overall value. That removes one player. 

If it were up to me, I'd come back next year with Girgensons and ditch the rest (Okie would get a shot, and if he can still play he'd play, if not I'd have the uncomfortable convo and waive him)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No salary retention, Hall to Boston for Bjork and a 2nd fine 

But including Lazar as well? Seriously?

That kind of agrees with my take, but maybe Lazar wasn't in the picture for next season anyway.  How many 4th liners do we need?  When we sold our house in Michigan to move to Texas, we were at an impasse.  I offered up my snowblower and it closed the deal.  Which is fine because the snowblower wasn't part of my long term plans anyway.  With Girgs back next season we won't need Lazar anyway.  He's like the snowblower that closed the deal.

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I was really hoping we’d get a 1 or at least a 2 with decent prospect in return and not lose another player. We are never going to get better with this consistently weak asset management. 

I don't think that was ever a realistic possibility.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

If there was no retention of salary for Hall (and there was none for Montour), then financial considerations (i.e., reducing financial obligations) was an unfortunate part of the decision making with regard to these trades.

Finances have been considered for the most part all year.  The signing of Hall was an outlier.

Did you hear Weekes on the NBC broadcast tearing into the organization for the weak scouting staff?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Well, boys and girls, I thought Hall was worth a second based on his play this year, more for his past, and less for his contract. So I guess we got about what he was worth without the retention.

Im sure it will be spun as Bjork being an untapped talent, cheap and under team control.

On to hoping that (and expecting to be disappointed with) they will do something with the enormous chunk of cap space they have created this weekend.

We did retain.

Hall played mostly like poop.  He has no record of being a playoff performer or a leader.  He is very expensive.

Considering everything I just wrote, I was kind of skeptical they could get a 1st for him.  Including Lazar makes this weird, but if it wasn’t for that, the trade is about what I thought.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.