Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not we just have a reputation as a pushover org that will pay you tons of money and allow you to dictate your trade terms. Woo. 

I fail to see how allowing the players to dictate trades ends up in a good place. 

Allowing them to do it?  No, not as a matter of practice.  It's going to happen though and when it does you have to go with it.  I still think Adams was probably forced into Hall and also forced into the deal by Krueger.  Others could disagree... we'll never know.

My whole point was what you have to allow for the possibilities.

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There were 2 teams that offered a 1st for Hall. 

Which only proves that the decisions that led up to this point were not good.  But who knows how it all came together...

Bottom line, Hall was a mistake.  Krueger was a mistake.  Let's just bundle those mistakes together and shove them into the garbage can of the past and not discuss them any more.  Things happen...

6 hours ago, LTS said:

Allowing them to do it?  No, not as a matter of practice.  It's going to happen though and when it does you have to go with it.  I still think Adams was probably forced into Hall and also forced into the deal by Krueger.  Others could disagree... we'll never know.

My whole point was what you have to allow for the possibilities.

Which only proves that the decisions that led up to this point were not good.  But who knows how it all came together...

Bottom line, Hall was a mistake.  Krueger was a mistake.  Let's just bundle those mistakes together and shove them into the garbage can of the past and not discuss them any more.  Things happen...

I don’t think that proves that at all. I think one could easily predict that a player who could demand a full NMC, by definition, would demand a higher price at the trade deadline. A certain group of players have earned the right to ask for an NMC and possibly receive it. Giving them one doesn’t mean it’s a mistake it’s just the price of doing business with that player. 

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork
12 hours ago, Kong said:

I dont want to wish Taylor Hall hard feelings but...he tried to hurt us while promoting himself on the way out. Maybe Buffalo is the place he lost his confidence for good.

He spent years with the Oilers, then Devils, then Coyotes. He's been bouncing from ***** show to ***** show his entire career.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is no small amount of irony here (as PA has alluded to elsewhere) that we are now rooting for the kind of finish to the season that we used to ridicule the team for in the past.

I still say win em all.

I don't think I'm alone in saying all that really matters as a fan right now is a chance to enjoy watching the Sabres again.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t think that proves that at all. I think one could easily predict that a player who could demand a full NMC, by definition, would demand a higher price at the trade deadline. A certain group of players have earned the right to ask for an NMC and possibly receive it. Giving them one doesn’t mean it’s a mistake it’s just the price of doing business with that player. 

A player sure.  I am speaking specifically about the decisions on Hall.  Those were the mistake.  There are players who have NMCs and no one mentions them because they play well enough that no one would consider moving them anyway.

In this case Hall was able to get Buffalo to agree to a one year deal that very predictably had a shot at him being moved at the trade deadline.  He gets the NMC and knows he can force Buffalo to send him to Boston, where he wanted to go the whole time. So he gets paid good money to tolerate Buffalo for awhile and ends up in Boston for a playoff run.  Boston may have the money to keep him next year, but of course he's gotta prove himself worth the investment.

Either way, Buffalo was a fool for bringing him in with those conditions.  I don't think we expected things to go off the rails this much and I suppose there was a possibility that Hall was so good in Buffalo he'd re-sign. I never thought for a moment he would be in Buffalo next year.  I had hoped he'd at least pull in a first rounder.

But it's water under the bridge... the Hall era is over and along with it Krueger and I'm ready to just enjoy this team right now who at least plays like they care.

59 minutes ago, LTS said:

A player sure.  I am speaking specifically about the decisions on Hall.  Those were the mistake.  There are players who have NMCs and no one mentions them because they play well enough that no one would consider moving them anyway.

In this case Hall was able to get Buffalo to agree to a one year deal that very predictably had a shot at him being moved at the trade deadline.  He gets the NMC and knows he can force Buffalo to send him to Boston, where he wanted to go the whole time. So he gets paid good money to tolerate Buffalo for awhile and ends up in Boston for a playoff run.  Boston may have the money to keep him next year, but of course he's gotta prove himself worth the investment.

Either way, Buffalo was a fool for bringing him in with those conditions.  I don't think we expected things to go off the rails this much and I suppose there was a possibility that Hall was so good in Buffalo he'd re-sign. I never thought for a moment he would be in Buffalo next year.  I had hoped he'd at least pull in a first rounder.

But it's water under the bridge... the Hall era is over and along with it Krueger and I'm ready to just enjoy this team right now who at least plays like they care.

I agree with much of this, but not the bolded.  I think any NHL team with the cap space would've given Hall the same deal the Sabres gave him.  Yes, the NMC hinders your ability to trade him at the deadline, and thus reduces your return by some indeterminate amount, but you are still not committed to him for more than 1 season, you get the benefit of a putative star player in a contract year and you have the inside track on re-signing him should you want to do so at the end of the year.  Certainly you would've preferred not to have the NMC, but that option wasn't available. 

It didn't work out, IMHO because Hall's game has significantly deteriorated, but I think the thought process was sound.

And the only thing we gave up for Hall was Pegula’s money and opportunity cost (to be fair).  But I don’t know that we had an opportunity at another player of Hall’s stature so I’m not convinced opportunity cost was significant.

We got a 2nd round pick for Pegula’s money basically.

• Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Weave said:

And the only thing we gave up for Hall was Pegula’s money and opportunity cost (to be fair).  But I don’t know that we had an opportunity at another player of Hall’s stature so I’m not convinced opportunity cost was significant.

We got a 2nd round pick for Pegula’s money basically.

True.

Also, weren't there reports that Hall WANTED a longer deal but Adams would only offer a 1 year deal?

If Hall truly did push for a LT deal, how does that fit with the viewpoint that he planned to hose the Sabres all along?  It would seem either he didn't push for the LT deal or he actually thought things could (would?) work in Buffalo.  At least part of the story seems amiss.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.

Also, weren't there reports that Hall WANTED a longer deal but Adams would only offer a 1 year deal?

If Hall truly did push for a LT deal, how does that fit with the viewpoint that he planned to hose the Sabres all along?  It would seem either he didn't push for the LT deal or he actually thought things could (would?) work in Buffalo.  At least part of the story seems amiss.

FWIW, Hall strikes me as a pretty sincere guy who wanted it to work here and was, last fall, legitimately excited at the possibility of regaining his peak form on Eichel's wing on an ascendant team for his all-time favorite coach.  I don't think he dogged it here, at least not until the last couple of weeks before the deadline, at which point he knew he was going to be traded.  I just think his game is in significant decline.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, Hall strikes me as a pretty sincere guy who wanted it to work here and was, last fall, legitimately excited at the possibility of regaining his peak form on Eichel's wing on an ascendant team for his all-time favorite coach.  I don't think he dogged it here, at least not until the last couple of weeks before the deadline, at which point he knew he was going to be traded.  I just think his game is in significant decline.

Not sure he was dogging it even at the end.  When he was playing with Mittelstadt & Thompson at the end of his time here, he was flying up the ice w/ Tage and was doing a pretty good job of setting him up primarily & Mitts up secondarily; but like the entirety of his time in Buffalo (especially when not out w/ Eichel) there was very little to show for it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/15/2021 at 9:02 PM, Kong said:

I dont want to wish Taylor Hall hard feelings but...he tried to hurt us while promoting himself on the way out. He slickered our rookie GM and our rube owner.

He is a long tenured player.  He got a contract with terms he deserved.  Players in his position are afforded opportunities to put NMC in contracts to give them some leverage.   I don’t blame anyone in the org for how things played out.  They actually may make out quite well if Bjork and the draft pick become useful players.  

• Like (+1) 2

“If the player says, ‘I’ll go to one team,’ say, ‘Good luck in the summer, dude. It ain’t happening—because I can’t trade you to one team without embarrassing this organization.’ ”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/quick-shifts-mysterious-value-finishing-no-1-canada/

Should have done just that.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

“If the player says, ‘I’ll go to one team,’ say, ‘Good luck in the summer, dude. It ain’t happening—because I can’t trade you to one team without embarrassing this organization.’ ”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/quick-shifts-mysterious-value-finishing-no-1-canada/

Luke Fox loves to rip on the Sabres. He won’t write a thing about all that is going right in Buffalo. Who is Luke Fox anyways? No credibility.

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Luke Fox loves to rip on the Sabres. He won’t write a thing about all that is going right in Buffalo. Who is Luke Fox anyways? No credibility.

The quote is from Brian Lawton and it wasn't even elicited by Fox.  (I don't know who Fox is, but this is something Lawton said on a podcast.)

Edited by Eleven

44 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Nope. Shouldn't just do that. Then you get nothing and look really lame. Easy for taking heads to say what should've happened.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nope. Shouldn't just do that. Then you get nothing and look really lame. Easy for taking heads to say what should've happened.

Exactly.

Lawton says Adams should have said give me a 5 team list. But that's just day dreaming, because Adams did not do that.

The fact is Hall was given an NMC, and Adams honored that NMC and worked a trade to the only team Hall wanted.

No one should be mad at Hall or Adams for working the trade deal itself. And signing Hall for 1 season was an attempt to better the teams fortunes.

This is a subject that is much ado about nothing.

Take the 2nd rounder and Bjork and move along, case closed, imho.

• Like (+1) 3

We obviously don’t know the conversations but I think Adams should’ve told Taylor Hall to go ***** himself once he said Boston only. He should’ve traded him to Boston if Taylor actually refused but I hope he at least stuck his chest out.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.