Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

Sorry fellas, but this arm chair GM stuff of pure speculation is almost sickening. Some of you guys state so much with such certainty and it's what you want to believe about things not with any thing to base it on other than your mad.  We're all unhappy with the franchise but some of this about the Hall trade is bs 

Right on. 

there’s talking and then there’s declaring definitively that something happened and then casting aspirations upon people based upon stuff that’s going on in your own head.

I don’t know. I don’t think that’s the right way.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Someone posted a tweet with the quotes in them.  It is somewhere upthread.

It was a mischaracterization from the full quote.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

It may have been in good faith originally but it seems odd that Hall refused to go to anywhere except one team unless this was his backup plan from the start.

Which was his right, even if it was his intention from start.

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Ruffle Hall's feathers ?????

In my last post before my break ... Hall held all the cards in this.  Adams had no real option, but to find the best deal he could for the handful, or fewer, teams Hall would accept being traded to.

Have a safe & healthy fast.

See you on the other side.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I already said all this in other threads or this one

i can keep up with the thread and play xbox at the same time thank you very much 

the conversation led it's way to this moment because I said I hope Adams knew the Boston thing as soon as possible. I don't think that's a contentious argument

Yeah, my emphasis was more on the other half of my post; that, from what we know, I think Adams acted with integrity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

The part about "i want to stick it to them"?  I don't know how that could be a mischaracterization?  

He wasn't meaning it in the sense he was angry at Buffalo. He was effectively saying what almost every player says after being traded in that he wants to make us "pay" for trading him. But he doesn't have some over-arcing agenda against Buffalo.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

The part about "i want to stick it to them"?  I don't know how that could be a mischaracterization?  

The quote was cut short. His final words were “next week” when they play each other. Assuming he has a modicum of social skills, that’s something that someone would say in jest. Peters also dropped all the nice things he said about the team prior to the quote.

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

The quote was cut short. His final words were “next week” when they play each other. Assuming he has a modicum of social skills, that’s something that someone would say in jest. Peters also dropped all the nice things he said about the team prior to the quote.

I guess so.  Not even sure why I brought it up as he is gone, and will be soon forgotten.

42 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Doesn't make me any happier; makes me want to throttle the ******* 

Why do players only ever seem to do this to us? Unless its an expansion draft related waiving.

You just don’t think about it nearly as much when it happens to other teams.

Remember when Buffalo got Jeff Skinner from Carolina for almost nothing then he scored 40 goals?

If you give players trade protection, things like this will happen.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

You just don’t think about it nearly as much when it happens to other teams.

Remember when Buffalo got Jeff Skinner from Carolina for almost nothing then he scored 40 goals?

If you give players trade protection, things like this will happen.

And that trade protection is something players give up some $'s to get.  Really hate to think how much Botterill was going to give Skinner without the NMC.  (Hey, Jack, you're cool w/Jeff making $11/ right?)  

46 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Doesn't make me any happier; makes me want to throttle the ******* 

Why do players only ever seem to do this to us? Unless its an expansion draft related waiving.

Why do we keep handing out no trade clauses like they are candy? It's the franchise's own fault. Hall on a 1 year deal should never have been given that power. Maybe a modified clause where he could say no to half a dozen loser teams he hates or something but not a full no move. 

This organization has to reset it's mentality and it has to be a culture of Team first and no one player is bigger than that and no move clauses have to come only with huge home town discounts. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

And that trade protection is something players give up some $'s to get.  Really hate to think how much Botterill was going to give Skinner without the NMC.  (Hey, Jack, you're cool w/Jeff making $11/ right?)  

True.  Speaking of Jack, watch out, he has one of those coming up quick!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

And then we'll bitch and moan because we don't sign so and so because he demands a NMC. After reading some posters here they seem to think they could do it so much better. The rules today and the contract structures along with other things it's not as simple as a lot of you guys think it is.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't sign UFAs to big deals for trade restrictions. Just don't. 

And we'll bitch "why did they sign him"? We want our cake and eat it too. Plus we're obviously better than GM....fill in the blank is!

43 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why do we keep handing out no trade clauses like they are candy? It's the franchise's own fault. Hall on a 1 year deal should never have been given that power. Maybe a modified clause where he could say no to half a dozen loser teams he hates or something but not a full no move. 

This organization has to reset it's mentality and it has to be a culture of Team first and no one player is bigger than that and no move clauses have to come only with huge home town discounts. 

Because they're popular?

13 minutes ago, Kong said:

Boy, if our GM got all this for Taylor Hall, just think how much he can get for Eichel. 

About the same if Eichel has a NMC and only wants to play for the Bruins.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

So -- last fall, would you have walked away from signing Hall over the NMC? 

Only a yes or no is an acceptable answer -- not "I would've gotten him to agree to a limited NMC/other more team-friendly structure."

(I am not trying to single you out, as you are far from the only poster decrying the NMC.  My point is simply that pretty much everyone was ecstatic over signing Hall, and this was part of the price to do so.)

I will also point out that giving someone a 1-year contract with an NMC is very different from giving someone a long-term deal with an NMC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

H/t to @Eleven... if the cost of announcing to the rest of the league we won't be hosed and to FAs that you won't play the Buffalo Sabres was a second-round pick and the corpse of Robert Bork, that's not too high a price to pay.

You are a gentleman and a scholar today.  And you are right.

15 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Great guy 

Seems like it. Never heard an interview that long with Curtis.  He kind of cooled off a few games before his injury, but I loved his physical game this year.  I thought it was one of the few good decisions by Adams to move on from Larsson.  Lazar was a cost effective replacement to the 4th line center position with better goal scoring abilities.  And as noted earlier, he was leading the team in hits at one point.  

p.s.  Just like Harrington to monopolize and ask three questions.  Add the Boston Media to his ever growing fan club. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

So -- last fall, would you have walked away from signing Hall over the NMC? 

Only a yes or no is an acceptable answer -- not "I would've gotten him to agree to a limited NMC/other more team-friendly structure."

(I am not trying to single you out, as you are far from the only poster decrying the NMC.  My point is simply that pretty much everyone was ecstatic over signing Hall, and this was part of the price to do so.)

I will also point out that giving someone a 1-year contract with an NMC is very different from giving someone a long-term deal with an NMC.

Taylor Hall no, I wouldn't have. Same for Skinner. Both are guys who, imo, have turned it on and off at their own whim. Not the kind of character guys I'd build around and I wouldn't give Reinhart a NMC either.

Nick Foligno wants to come here after his stop in Toronto, he can have one. 

8 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Will anybody currently on the Sabres roster take a run at him?

No.  Working backwards - Scott, Ray, Barnaby, May, Bougner, Foligno, Playfair, Ruff, Gare, Korab, Dudley, and Schoeny are all long gone.    

Maybe one of our guys will stiff him with the bar tab?  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.